1956 International (IHC) S-110 1/2 Ton
6-cyl. 240cid/141hp 1bbl
With an experienced team and a lot of data.
While International may have been the last to offer an all-new postwar pickup, its tardiness did ensure that it was the most advanced of the new trucks. It was truly an all-new truck, from the wide three-man width Comfo-Vision cab with two-piece rear windows, to the one-piece left or right side opening hood (just like Buick), and the Silver Diamond engine tucked underneath. Upon its introduction in 1950, it was the only pickup to have an all-insert bearing, a fully pressured oil system, and an overhead valve engine.
While International’s line of L-Series pickup didn’t lack in engineering, some argued that it was want for looks. The truck’s sides were rounded in a fashion similar to its contemporaries, but the grille was generally panned as being too complex looking. Cleaning things up was part of the job of the revised R-Series trucks, which were introduced in late 1953, and a few subtle refinements along with a more refined grille highlights of the new release. Also joining the Light Line officially was a new truck-based wagon called the Travelall. As one of the only true competitors to the Chevrolet Suburban, it proved to be a valuable part of the International truck line.
The further revised S-series debuted in mid-1956. Styling was becoming a bigger factor in truck sales, even for IH with its agrarian and construction industry base markets. As such, two-tone paint and more options like radios and automatic transmissions became available. While the S-series is most easily distinguished by headlights set out to the ends of the fenders and a new single piece rear window, practical-minded owners felt the bigger news was that U.S.-built trucks now had 12-volt electrical systems. The S-series continued in production for a little over a year, at which point it was replaced by an all-new A-series truck, commemorating International Harvester’s fifty years of truck production.