Privacy Shield Notice
This Privacy Shield Notice (”Notice”) describes how Hagerty and its subsidiaries and affiliates in the United States (”US”) collect, use, and disclose certain personally identifiable information that we receive in the US from the United Kingdom (“UK”) and the European Union (”EU Personal Data”). This Notice applies to the following US affiliated entities:
- Hagerty Group, LLC
- Hagerty Insurance Agency, LLC
- Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, LLC
- Hagerty Drivers Club, LLC
- Hagerty Media Properties, LLC
- Hagerty Driveshare, LLC, and
- Hagerty Motorsports, LLC
Hagerty recognizes that the UK and the EU have established strict protections regarding the handling of Personal Data, including requirements to provide adequate protection for UK and EU Personal Data transferred outside of the UK or EU. To provide adequate protection for certain UK and EU Personal Data about members, corporate customers, suppliers, business partners, job applicants and employees received in the US, Hagerty has elected to self-certify to the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework administered by the US Department of Commerce (”Privacy Shield”). Hagerty adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles of:
- Accountability for Onward Transfer;
- Data Integrity and Purpose Limitation;
- Recourse, Enforcement, and Liability.
For purposes of enforcing compliance with the Privacy Shield, Hagerty is subject to the investigatory and enforcement authority of the US Federal Trade Commission ("FTC"). For more information about the Privacy Shield, see the US Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield website located at: https://www.privacyshield.gov. To review Hagerty’s representation on the Privacy Shield list, see the US Department of Commerce’s Shield self-certification list.
- Information you provide to us with your quote or your application and other submission materials, which includes your name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, birth date, marital status and other information;
- Information concerning your transactions with us or our affiliates, such as information about your policy coverage and premium or information about the products and services you request or purchase;
- Details of other vehicles owned by you;
- Employment information;
- Other information submitted by you. This may include information you have filled out in surveys, polls, questionnaires or similar items; and
- Such other information we may collect as permitted or required by law.
We process UK and EU Personal Data for the following purposes:
Uses and Disclosures Necessary to Fulfill Our Obligations to you:
- Verifying your identity;
- Improving customer service;
- Acquiring, issuing, renewing and servicing an auto or boat insurance policy for you;
- Assisting you and assessing your ongoing needs for insurance;
- Managing and servicing your membership account;
- Providing roadside services to you;
- Managing, administering, collecting or otherwise enforcing accounts;
- Maintaining business records for reasonable periods, and generally managing and administering our business;
- Protecting Hagerty and you against error or fraud;
- Keeping your information accurate and up-to-date;
- Meeting legal, regulatory, insurance, security and processing requirements; and
- Otherwise as permitted or required by law.
Uses for Legitimate Business Purposes.
- We may also occasionally use your personal information to tell you about our other products or services in which you have expressed an interest or that we believe may be of interest to you. We will obtain your consent before sending you this type of information and you will be given the right to opt out, if you so choose;
- When you quote or buy insurance or other services, we collect your e-mail address so that we can send you e-mails concerning your transactions with us, and other information we think you’ll find useful. You can stop receiving promotional updates by using the links provided in the emails.
Uses Necessary for Legal and Regulatory Compliance
- Regulatory and self-regulatory agencies;
- Persons requiring information pursuant to a governmental or court order;
- Otherwise as permitted or required by law.
Hagerty will only process UK and EU Personal Data in ways that are compatible with the purpose that Hagerty collected it for, or for purposes the individual later authorizes. Before we use your Personal Data for a purpose that is materially different than the purpose we collected it for or that you later authorized, we will provide you with the opportunity to opt out. Hagerty maintains reasonable procedures to help ensure that Personal Data is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete, and current.
Data Transfers to Third Parties
Where required by the Privacy Shield, we enter into written agreements with those third-party agents and service providers requiring them to provide the same level of protection the Privacy Shield requires and limiting their use of the data to the specified services provided on our behalf. We take reasonable and appropriate steps to ensure that third-party agents and service providers process UK and EU Personal Data in accordance with our Privacy Shield obligations and to stop and remediate any unauthorized processing. Under certain circumstances, we may remain liable for the acts of our third-party agents or service providers who perform services on our behalf for their handling of UK and EU Personal Data that we transfer to them.
Disclosures for National Security or Law Enforcement. Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your Personal Data in response to valid requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
Hagerty maintains reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect Personal Data from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction in accordance with the Privacy Shield.
You may have the right to access the Personal Data that we hold about you and to request that we correct, amend, or delete it if it is inaccurate or processed in violation of the Privacy Shield. These access rights may not apply in some cases, including where providing access is unreasonably burdensome or expensive under the circumstances or where it would violate the rights of someone other than the individual requesting access. If you would like to request access to, correction, amendment, or deletion of your Personal Data, you can submit a written request to the contact information provided below. We may request specific information from you to confirm your identity. In some circumstances we may charge a reasonable fee for access to your information.
Questions or Complaints
You can direct any questions or complaints about the use or disclosure of your Personal Data to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also contact our UK and EU affiliate Hagerty International Limited, at email@example.com or telephone us at 0333 323 1138 with any questions or concerns. We will investigate and attempt to resolve any complaints or disputes regarding the use or disclosure of your Personal Data within 45 days of receiving your complaint. If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request. If your complaint regards human resource data, please contact your local European Data Protection Authority (“DPA”) as your local DPA is the only method of recourse for human resource data. Hagerty agrees to comply with the European DPAs in these instances. Please find your DPA here: https://ec.europa.eu/justice/article-29/structure/data-protection-authorities/index_en.htm.
You may have the option to select binding arbitration for the resolution of your complaint under certain circumstances, provided you have taken the following steps: (1) raised your compliant directly with Truste and provided us the opportunity to resolve the issue; (2) made use of the independent dispute resolution mechanism identified above; and (3) raised the issue through the relevant data protection authority and allowed the US Department of Commerce an opportunity to resolve the complaint at no cost to you. For more information on binding arbitration, see Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield Framework: Annex I (Binding Arbitration).
If you have any questions about this Notice or would like to request access to your UK or EU Personal Data, please contact us as follows: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes To This Notice
We reserve the right to amend this Notice from time to time consistent with the Privacy Shield’s requirements.
Effective Date: August 30, 2018
Last modified: December 10, 2020