Hagerty Privacy Notice
Table of Contents
- Summary of this Privacy Notice
- Insurance Products and Services
- International Data Transfers
- Information we may collect about you
- Use of personal information
- Disclosing and sharing of your information
- Access and Correction of Personal Information
- Internet Privacy and Information Collected Online
- Surveys & Contests
- Co-Browsing Assistance
- Affiliate Programs
- Data Retention
- Our Policies Concerning Children
- California Privacy Notice
- Changes to Our Privacy Notice
Summary of this Privacy Notice
At Hagerty, we respect your car skills and your privacy. This Privacy Notice explains how we treat personal information.
We do not ever sell personal information to anybody. We will only collect, use, share, and disclose your information as described in this Privacy Notice. In some cases, we do share personal information with third parties for purposes of cross-context behavioral advertising to show you content you might be interested in or to market our products to you or other products according to your interests.
We can only speak for ourselves, so this Privacy Notice does not apply to anybody else, including third party products or websites that may be linked in our website.
Insurance Products and Services
If you already have an insurance policy with us or are thinking about it, you clearly have good taste. Please check out our Insurance Member Privacy Notice for additional specific insurance privacy rights.
International Data Transfers
The love of cars is international and so are we.
EU-US, UK-US Data Privacy Framework (DPF)
In compliance with the EU-U.S. DPF and the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, Hagerty commits to resolve DPF Principles-related complaints about our collection and use of your personal information. EU and UK individuals with inquiries or complaints regarding our handling of personal data received in reliance on the EU-U.S. DPF and the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF should first contact Hagerty at: email@example.com.
In compliance with the EU-U.S. DPF and the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF, Hagerty commits to refer unresolved complaints concerning our handling of personal data received in reliance on the EU-U.S. DPF and the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF to TRUSTe, an alternative dispute resolution provider based in the United States. If you do not receive timely acknowledgment of your DPF Principles-related complaint from us, or if we have not addressed your DPF Principles-related complaint to your satisfaction, please visit https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request for more information or to file a complaint. The services of TRUSTe are provided at no cost to you.
The Federal Trade Commission has jurisdiction over Hagerty’s compliance with the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (EU-U.S. DPF) and the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF.
Additionally, an individual has the possibility, under certain conditions, to invoke binding arbitration for complaints regarding DPF compliance not resolved by any of the other DPF mechanisms; for additional information: https://www.dataprivacyframework.gov/s/article/ANNEX-I-introduction-dpf?tabset-35584=2
If Hagerty receives personal information under the DPF Principles and then transfers that personal information to a third-party, Hagerty shall remain liable under the DPF Principles to the extent the third party’s actions are inconsistent with the DPF Principles, unless Hagerty provides information in support of Hagerty not having responsibility for the event.
The following United States Hagerty Group companies are adhering to the DPF Principles to include the UK Extension to the EU-U.S. DPF: Hagerty Insurance Agency, LLC; Hagerty Motorsports, LLC; Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency, LLC; Hagerty Media Properties, LLC; Hagerty Drivers Club, LLC; and Hagerty Driveshare, LLC.
Information we may collect about you:
Hagerty and people who represent Hagerty collect personal information in several situations during business. In addition to the Internet Privacy and Information Collected Online discussed in detail below, depending on the situation, personal information we collect can include:
- Contact information. For example, with your quote or your application, which can include your name, mailing address, e-mail address, telephone number, birth date, marital status and other information;
- Demographic information and interests
- Information from motor vehicle/driving records about you, other people listed as policyholders, other drivers, or household members. We assume you have permission to share information about such other people;
- Information about your business with us or other Hagerty companies, such as information about your insurance policy or information about the products and services you request or purchase;
- Claims history for you, other policyholders, drivers, or household members;
- Information about your other vehicles;
- Employment information;
- Other information submitted by you. This may include information you have filled out in surveys, polls, questionnaires, social media or similar items; and
- Any other information we may collect as permitted or required by law.
We may collect this information from you directly or from insurance companies, other insurance brokers or agents, motor vehicle and driver licensing authorities, financial institutions, consumer reporting agencies, third-party data suppliers, operators of third-party content distribution channels and platforms, and social media platforms and similar services.
Use of personal information:
Hagerty generally uses personal information for the following reasons:
- Verifying your identity;
- Improving our customer service and website;
- Getting, issuing, renewing and servicing an insurance policy for you;
- Helping determine your insurance needs;
- Customizing your interactions with us;
- Maintaining business records for reasonable periods, and generally managing and administering our business;
- Protecting Hagerty and you against fraud;
- Keeping your information accurate and up-to-date;
- Meeting legal, regulatory, insurance, and security requirements;
- To hold up our end of our business transaction with you. For example, we will share some information with a flatbed tow company for our roadside service;
- To analyze our business and identify trends;
- To customize content, develop and conduct advertising and marketing campaigns and provide recommendations for content, products, and services you might be interested in based on your behaviors and actions. You can opt-out of these email communications if you want; and
- Otherwise as permitted or required by law.
Disclosing and sharing of your information:
To be clear, we do not sell personal information to anybody. However, we may have to disclose or share some information for the reasons listed above. We disclose information with the following categories of third parties:
- Our underwriting companies or your broker or agent (most of the information collected about you and described above will be disclosed to our underwriting company and your broker or agent for evaluating, issuing, renewing and servicing your insurance policy);
- Regulatory and self-regulatory agencies;
- Consumer reporting agencies;
- Other Hagerty companies or subsidiaries;
- Licensed agencies and brokerages that have referred you to us;
- To third parties (such as law enforcement, attorneys, or parties to a lawsuit) if we are required to do so by a court subpoena or other law;
- Adjusters or insurance companies for purposes of claims handling;
- Advertiser and marketing service providers that help us deliver content, products, and services that fit your interests;
- Third parties that perform professional, business services for us;
- Third parties that help us fulfill our membership services. For example, we will share some information with a flatbed tow company for our roadside service; and
- Research and analytics providers and data brokers.
If the ownership of Hagerty ever changes, we will transfer personal information to the new owner and the same protection will apply unless a law says otherwise.
We will not share motor vehicle/driving records or claims history reports with other Hagerty companies or third parties unless it is necessary to fulfill your request to satisfy legal or business transaction requirements.
Access and Correction of Personal Information
If you want to update or see any information that we have about you, just let us know. If you want to correct information we got from another party (such as a credit reporting agency), we can provide you with that party’s contact information. We may not be able to share information involved in an ongoing investigation.
Internet Privacy and Information Collected Online:
We currently use Adobe Analytics to help us with collecting various pieces of demographic information. Specifically, we use geographic and general website movement pattern features. The tools used to collect this information may vary but, in general, includes cookies, pixels, tags, or web beacons. You can opt-out of these features that we use by applying Adobe's currently available opt-outs.
For more information on cookies, please see our International Cookie Statement.
We reserve the right to record, review and store the communications you make when you call us or make postings on site pages or communicate with other members on our sites, or with our agents by phone or online, including through the chat tool. We may use those communications for internal purposes, including to better understand how members use our services, as well as for security purposes. That being said, we are not obligated or required to review any communications and make no commitment to do so or to take any specific action with respect to those communications.
Any information you post in your profile or in any other public area of this website will be available to other users.
Our website contains links to other third-party sites. Please be aware that when you leave our site the sites you visit may have their own privacy notices. This Privacy Notice only applies to our website (and related Hagerty.com webpages).
Surveys & Contests
Sometimes we have a survey or contest. These are 100% voluntary. Any information collected from a survey or contest will only be used to make our website or products better and to contact any winners.
A helping hand is always nice, even if you’re just changing a flat. Hagerty offers a tool that allows our agents to see what you see online and walk you through any problems.
We do our best to protect your personal information. We use firewalls, encryption and Transport Layer Security (TLS). We use current technology and tools to keep your information safe. But nothing is perfect, so please be careful and use strong passwords.
We store personal information about you on computer systems operated by us or our service providers. Due to being a highly regulated company, we keep various records that contain personal information in accordance with applicable state and federal regulations, or pursuant to contractual obligations. In general, we aim to keep personal information only for as long as necessary and only for the reason(s) we collected it. It may be necessary to keep personal information longer than our official retention periods for legal or regulatory reasons, including litigation. To support us in managing how long we hold personal information and our record management, we maintain a data retention policy which includes clear guidelines on retention and deletion.
We consider the following criteria when determining how long a particular record will be retained, including any personal information contained in that record:
- How long the record is needed to provide you with the products and services you request
- How long the record is needed to support and enhance our operational processes
- How long the record is needed to protect our rights and legal interests
- How long the record must be retained to comply with applicable laws and regulations
The same personal information about you may be included in more than one record and used for more than one purpose, each of which may be subject to different retention periods based on the factors listed above.
Our Policies Concerning Children
Hagerty does not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under 13 years old without parental consent. If we do accidentally receive this information, we will delete it. If you think we have improperly received a child’s information, please contact us at 800-922-4050 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
California Privacy Notice
Purposes for which We Use Personal Information
The personal information about you that we collect includes information within the below categories of data. These categories also represent the categories of personal information we have collected over the past 12 months. Note the categories listed below refer to the categories of personal information as defined under the California Consumer Privacy Act, as amended by the California Privacy Rights Act, Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.100 et seq., (“CCPA”) and other laws implementing or supplementing the CCPA. Inclusion of a category in the list below indicates only that, depending on the services and products we provide you, we may collect some information within that category. It does not necessarily mean that we collect all information listed in a particular category for all of our customers, nor does it necessarily mean that the CCPA applies to that data (i.e., if the data is governed by the federal Gramm Leach Bliley Act or Fair Credit Reporting Act).
You have several rights concerning personal information. Specifically, you have the right:
- To access/know. You may have the right to know and request information about the categories and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you within the last 12 months, as well as the categories of sources from which such information is collected, the purpose for collecting such information, and the categories of third parties with whom we share such information. You also have the right to know if we have sold or disclosed personal information.
- To portable data. You may have the right to obtain your personal data in a portable and, to the extent technically feasible, readily usable format that allows you to transmit the data to another entity without hindrance.
- To correct. You may have the right to notify us through the methods identified in the “Exercising Your Rights” section below to correct any mistakes in your personal information. We may not be able to accommodate your request if we believe it would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect; data solely retained for data backup purposes is generally excluded.
- To delete. You may have the right to request deletion of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- To limit use and disclosure of sensitive personal information. You may have the right to limit the use and disclosure of sensitive personal information we collect or maintain, to only those purposes necessary to provide our services.
- To opt-out of the sharing or selling of information. We do not sell any personal information. We do share personal information with third parties to show you content you might be interested in or to market our products to you or other products according to your interests, including through cross-context behavioral advertising. You may opt-out of this sharingIf you are under 16 years old, we only share your information as described in this notice if you actively opt-in to that type of sharing. We may also share personal information about you with service providers as permitted by law.
- To non-discrimination. We will not discriminate against any person exercising any of these rights. We may, however, provide a different level of service or charge a different rate reasonably relating to the value of your personal information.
Further, if you are a California resident who has provided personal information for personal, family, or household use, California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits you to request in writing a list of the categories of personal information that we have disclosed to third parties during the preceding year, for the third parties’ direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us via one of the methods described below.
Exercising Your Rights
When you submit a request to delete or correct your information, we will ask for your name, email address, and state of residence. When you submit a request to know or for a copy of your personal information, we will require additional information to verify that you are the person to whom the information relates. We will match this information against information we have previously collected about you to verify your identity and to respond to your request. If you maintain an account with us, we may require you to login to that account as part of submitting your request.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will use the personal information you provide to us when submitting a consumer request only to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
There may be circumstances where we will not be able to honor your request. For example, if you request deletion, we may need to retain certain personal information to comply with our legal obligations or other permitted purposes.
You also may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf. If you are submitting a request through an authorized agent, the authorized agent must provide us with your signed written permission stating that the agent is authorized to make the request on your behalf. We may also request that any authorized agents verify their identity and may reach out to you directly to confirm that you have provided the agent with your permission to submit the request on your behalf.
Do Not Track Signals
If we receive a “do not track” signal from your internet browser, we don’t currently change anything because professionals and lawmakers have not agreed on what can and should be done. We have implemented changes to respect the Global Privacy Control signals we receive. You may also make changes to cookie preferences through our cookie banner when you visit our website.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice isn’t all original. We must modify it from time to time with aftermarket parts to keep up with the times. We will make big changes easy to find. If an update changes your rights, we will let you know directly. We keep old versions of this Notice archived.
Last updated January 2024.