Secret Mission: Can you ID these 15 cars?
We need your help. Top brass in Detroit wants answers. Deep-cover agents captured a number of unidentified detail images from the The Amelia car show last weekend. They just barely escaped—though some were, regrettably, sunburned.
In an effort to determine the identities of the vehicles below, we’ve enlisted your expertise. Your bravery, knowledge, and diligence will ensure the continued enthusiasm of the car hobby. As far as rolled eyes and confused looks from friends, spouses, and other civilians in their milquetoast CR-Vs and Escapes, we have our best people working on it. Don’t let it distract you from the task at hand.
Here’s how it’ll work. Below we’ve posted a list of 15 images. Your job is to cite the make and model, in the comments, that matches the corresponding entry and number. Could you Google search to check your work? Sure, but that wouldn’t be very much fun, so try to instead use the gooey, wrinkled thing between your ears instead of the rectangle thing in your pocket. Early next week, we’ll reveal the answers in a comment at the bottom of this article.
Good luck, Gumshoe. Absolutely nothing is riding on this. Just bragging rights. How many can you correctly identify?
-Operative Weiner, O.A.T. (Office of Automotive Trivia)
P.S. – Don’t get too fixated on the pithy nicknames. They’re mostly red herrings. (Mostly.)
1. Canio’s Quads
2. Arch Enemy
3. Night Vision
4. Seeing Double
5. Hip to be Square
6. True Stripes
7. Cool It
8. Heavy Breathing
9. Notre Dame de Intercooler
10. Spot Check
12. Marchal Marchal Marchal
13. Crank It
14. Machine Learning
15. Old Bean
- BMW Z3M Coupe
- Morgan AeroMax (boattail version of Aero 8, which is an acceptable answer here)
- Jaguar Mk. II
- Alfa Romeo Spyder
- Mercedes-Benz E500
- Plymouth Duster
- Porsche 959
- Lamborghini Miura
- Ford GT
- Bugatti EB110
- Puma GT
- Alpine A110
- Cord 812
- Auto Union 1000 SP
- McLaren F1
I don’t have a f****king clue!
In other words they are ALL foreign junk!
So you are saying a Plymouth Duster was manufactured in Europe or Asia???
Go to the Cord/Auburn/Duesenberg museum in Auburn Indiana, well worth the time. Wife even liked it.
Where are the answers
Here are the ones I know (before looking at any of the other comments!
5 Mercedes, but I don’t know model
6 Plymouth Duster
8 Lamborghini Miura I better have gotten that one as a Lamborghini collector!
9 Ford GT
10 Bugatti EB110
So I get a 4.5! This was a good post, great idea Eric!
1) ??? Maybe some BMW, older M5 ???
2) Morgan Aero ?
3) Jaguar XK60/XK120 ??
4) Alfa Romeo Coupe/Spider/GTV
5) Mercedes E-class (AMG?) from 90s.
6) Plymouth Barracuda from 1966-70 ?
7) Porsche 959
8) Fiat/Bertone X1/9 ?
9) Easy – latest (2017?-now?) Ford GT
10) Easy Only one car in the world had that feature – Bugatti EB112. Beast of the car for it’s time with totally bonkers engineering.
11) ??? Maybe, just maybe, total guessing here it’s the Sunbeam Tiger? Hence the cat reference?
12) ??? No clue. Maybe some of those weird Morgan three-wheelers?
13) ??? Not into that kind of old cars LOL
14) ??? Very weird. My best bet it’s some special edition of older rear engine Porsche
15) Easy – the one and only McLaren F1
Kudos on the Puma GT. Inspired.
Nope, just lived in Brazil for a couple of years….
1. BMW M whatever
5.Mercedes C Class
12. Renault Alpine A110
Pretty sure #4 is an (early) Honda/Acura Integra. The hood (that you can see) doesn’t appear to have the lines of the A-R. The nose across the headlights appears to be more in line with (and has the smoothness of) the Integra
Old Bean is Best Bean
No results to find the correct answers??? What a wiener…….
#3 – Jaguar, 55-57 XK 140 w/ aftermarket orange lenses
#14 AKA DKW?
Where’s my first generation Ford Falcon?
Im not much of a learner, but I do have some different ideas:
(1) a blue car
(2) Morgan or the Batmobile
(3) Jaguar MKII
(4) Acura Integra or some Italian thing.
(5) Mercedes W123
(6) Plymouth Duster (or Plymouth Swiffer, the latest model)
(7) A Porsche with the hair dryer option.
(8) A Tatra, all day long.
(9) Thunderbirds are GO!
(10) The Lambo Beehive
(11) Jaguar XK
(12) Bugatti Petain (Marechal, Marechal, Marechal)
(13) Bentley with the electric heated seats (crank by hand, old school)
(14) Porsche Ancienne
(15) McLaren in Abattoir Red.
Yeah pretty pathetic. But thats also how I fill in my March Madness bracket, as well.
My immediate answer for #2 was also batmobile!