Few things in the development of a new car are more crucial than the name.…
A Car For Mom: Our five most popular classics for women
Go to a car classic show and you’ll see a lot of men between the ages of 45 and 75, but it’s no longer a boys’ club. Women, particularly baby boomers, have been getting into the classic car hobby in increasing numbers. Here is a list of the top five most popular classic cars among female collectors according to data provided by Hagerty Insurance, the nation’s largest insurer of classic cars:
- Chevrolet Corvette : No surprise here, everyone (male and female) seems to love a Corvette, America’s longest-running sports car. Corvettes from the 1950s and 1960s have been the traditional blue-chippers, with Stingrays from the 1970s gaining in popularity of late.
- Ford Mustang : Like the Corvette, the Mustang’s popularity seems to cross genders and generations. Convertibles from the mid-1960s are the most prized. The palette of interior and exterior colors available was dizzying, and it seems like no two are ever exactly alike.
- Chevrolet Camaro : The recent successful reintroduction of the Camaro has spurred increased interest in its classic inspiration from 1967-69. Again, like the Mustang, convertibles are the most coveted and color and options seem to be just as important for female collectors as the power under the hood.
- Volkswagen Beetle: Just as the New Beetle is an overwhelming favorite among female buyers, the classic air-cooled version is too. Beetles are ideal first collector cars. Inexpensive to maintain, and a lot of fun to drive. Convertibles are wonderful Sunday drivers while in places with moderate climates year round, you can still see sedans used as everyday transport. The classic air-cooled Beetle convertible was sold in the U.S. until 1980.
- Ford Thunderbird : Maybe it was Suzanne Sommers in “American Graffiti,” those famous scenes of her in a white Thunderbird, but 1955-57 T-Birds have been favorites among women who own classic cars seemingly forever. Like most of the cars on this list, classic T-Birds are dependable and easy-to-live-with classics.