Classic Trucks in the Movies and TV
Vintage pickups and SUVs are among the hottest things in the collector car world. So it’s natural that our radar has turned to spotting cool classic trucks in the movies and television. Here are five of our favorites from the big and small screen:
- 1973 Ford F-250 (“The Blues Brothers”): After stiffing the proprietor of Bob’s Country Bunker on a huge bar tab, Jake and Elwood Blues take off in the Bluesmobile with “The Good Ole Boys” — the country and western act that they’d impersonated at said bar — in hot pursuit. We love the shot of two of the angry musicians in costume glaring out of the front windows of the camper shell, just before the truck winds up on its side.
- 1967 Ford Bronco (“Green Acres”): The much-loved CBS comedy featured a then-new red 1967 Ford Bronco as the official vehicle of scatter-brained county agent Hank Kimball, usually seen driven around Hooterville and the Douglas farm (minus doors and top). For most of its run, “Green Acres” was sponsored by the Ford Motor Company, so the Bronco’s frequent appearances were no surprise.
- 1972 Chevrolet C-10 (“Dazed and Confused”): The 1993 Richard Linklater high school cult classic that was set in the mid-1970s featured what appeared to be a 1972 Chevy C-10 pickup in Cheyenne trim. It was driven by paddle-wielding upper-classman Benny O’Donnell (played by Cole Hauser), who freshmen encountered at their peril.
- 1999 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning (“The Fast and the Furious”): Lead actor Paul Walker drove this very special Ford pickup. Produced by Ford’s Special Vehicles Team, the 1999 Lightning featured a supercharged 5.4-liter V-8 that produced 360 hp. It was used as a parts getter in the first of the Fast and Furious movies.
[Related Article: Famous Fake Cars in movies and TV]
- 1973 Ford F-100 (“The Dukes of Hazzard”): Yeah, we know it’s a shock, there were pickup trucks featured in the “Dukes of Hazzard.” Uncle Jesse always seemed to have a semi-ratty white Ford pickup. Most of the time it was a ’73 F-100 but in early episodes, he could be seen with a 1968 Ford stepside pickup and in later ones, a late 1970s F-250.