Hagerty’s Love In The Fast Lane Survey Results
More than 7,000 car enthusiasts participated in Hagerty Insurance’s first “Love in the Fast Lane” online survey this year, revealing fascinating insights into how much these enthusiasts really love their “other” significant other – their classic.
“What amazed us the most was finding that nearly a third of those surveyed said that they actually bought a gift for their classic car on Valentine’s Day,” says McKeel Hagerty, president of Hagerty Insurance. “We also asked how much enthusiasts spent on their classic’s Valentine’s gift, and over half admitted that they spent more than $250. Now that’s true love!”
Some of the interesting statistics the survey revealed include:
- 60% spent more in the last year on their classic car than on their significant other
- 62% talk to their classic on a regular basis
- 67% remember the date they bought their first classic
- 42% named their classic car
- 29% bought their “other” significant other a Valentine’s Day present last year and of those respondents, 57% spent more than $250 on the presents
- 64% would reacquire their first car given the opportunity
- 73% remember the year, make and model of every car they have owned
Many of the respondents said that their classic car reminded them of certain celebrities. The following are some of the most popular:
- 259 people made Steve McQueen the overwhelming selection, with a “Bullitt”
- 154 people felt their car was as “bad” as James Dean
- 130 people think of Jay Leno in relation to their classic
- 89 people thought the beauty of their classic was synonymous with Marilyn Monroe
- 88 people felt Clint Eastwood really “made their day” when they thought about their classic
The Love in the Fast Lane Survey Winners are currently trying to choose gifts for their classics from Griot’s Garage. Carl, from Santa Rosa, CA won first prize, the ultimate car lover gift – a $500 shopping spree from the Griot’s Garage catalog. He’s having fun picking which gifts he should give to each of his three classics. Second prize, a $200 package of Griot’s Garage car fanatic goodies, including an exterior car care kit, a six-speed pen and holder, and a digital tire gauge/flashlight went to Tom from Shelby Township, MI, who plans to use his gifts to spiff his classic for the 2005 Woodward Dreamcruise. Lou in Slidell, LA won third Prize, a $100.00 gift certificate to Griot’s Garage. Congratulations, gentleman, and thank you to everyone for participating in our survey this year.
We’d love to know how much you love your classic. Please visit the Hagerty Lounge in the Hagerty Protection Network section of www.hagerty.com and tell us your “love story” in Your2Cents.