Auction Results: RM Auctions’ 2013 Phoenix sale
After four years of two-day sales in Phoenix, RM reformatted its annual Arizona event, held Jan. 18, 2013, into a single-day affair. Held at the Arizona Biltmore as always, RM reduced the number of cars on offer from 140 to 84 and singularly focused on the high end of the market — only six lots carried pre-sale high estimates below $100,000. The results validated the strategy, as total sales were improved by $10.8M to $36.4M despite having 56 fewer lots to sell. The average sale price was obviously improved as well, more than doubling from $203,654 to $485,511.
The marquee car for the event was a well-documented and interesting 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Competizione Berlinetta. Having spent much of the last decade appearing at FCA events and at prominent shows such as Villa d’Este and Concorso Italiano, the car sold for $8.14M, which is an auction record for the model. A restored 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300Sc Cabriolet sold for top dollar at $990,000, and a 1973 Ferrari 246 GTS Dino with chairs and flares sold for $400,000, including commission.
- 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Competizione Berlinetta sold for $8,140,000
- 1967 Shelby Cobra 427 SC Roadster sold for $2,007,500
- 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Berlinetta sold for $1,842,500
- 1938 Delahaye 135 MS Coupe sold for $1,540,000
- 1931 Duesenberg Model J Tourster sold for $1,320,000
- 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta sold for $1,320,000
- 2003 Ferrari Enzo Coupe sold for $1,320,000
- 1954 Ferrari 250 Europa Coupe sold for $1,017,500
- 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300Sc Cabriolet sold for $990,000
- 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gullwing Coupe sold for $847,000
RM’s next auction is of the Bruce Weiner microcar museum, Feb. 15 and 16, 2013. The sale will take place in Madison, Ga., and nearly 200 microcars will be offered at no reserve.