Auction Results: Auctions America Fall Auburn
Auctions America, RM Auctions’ mass-market subsidiary, conducted its third Fall Auburn sale this past Labor Day weekend to great effect. Despite the threat of rain for most of the weekend, attendance was up over last year’s event, and sales were mostly consistent with 2011’s effort at $17.8M (in contrast to the inaugural sale’s $13.3M and last year’s $18.4M). In all, two stages were used to sell 637 of the auction’s 992 cars (64%).
Top sale of the weekend was a well-documented 1935 Duesenberg Model J Derham sedan that traded for $456,500. A 1953 Buick Skylark convertible sold for an encouraging $192,500, following five years of declines for the model. Also interesting was the counterpoint to Monterey served by a pair of 1990 Ferrari Testarossas. Granted, neither was a particularly low-mileage example, but they sold for $59,510 and $59,400, respectively, which was substantially more than the 126-mile example achieved by RM.
- 1935 Duesenberg Model J Derham sedan sold for $456,500
- 1932 Auburn 12 Boattail Speedster sold for $275,000
- G-4 W131 Grosser Six Seven-Passenger Recreation sold for $269,500
- 1953 Buick Skylark convertible sold for $192,500
- 1932 Auburn 12 Phaeton sold for $181,500
- 2011 Shelby GT350 sold for $160,000
- 1957 Ford Thunderbird “F-Bird” convertible sold for $148,500
- 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 drag car sold for $145,750
- 1948 Chrysler Town & Country convertible sold for $134,000
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air 283/283 fuelie convertible sold for $132,000
Auctions America’s next automotive sale is the annual Fall Carlisle event, Oct. 4-5, 2012.