Frank John L 1979 Wellcraft Airslot 24

Back To the Blue

After years of seeing this abandon boat left to the elements at my local marina, I was approached by the Harbor Master who was about to crush the hull and haul it away to the city dump. The shape and tri hull had me trying to locate it's owner for several years. Knowing that, I was told that if I was still interested I had to take it away before he did, and so the transformation began.

The hull had been stripped down of everything. All the wiring, the steering, the interior, the teak trim, the gas tank, with only the windshield left in tact when I brought it to my construction company yard. First step was to find out more about this Wellcraft model Aeroslot 24. After finding that information my restoration project was started.

First was to sand down the entire hull, which fortunately was in solid condition. The stringers were also intact, but I re-enforced them anyway with fiberglass sheets and epoxy. Next, I located the proper gas tank and installed it correctly, using a foam surround to keep it in place.

Only then was the entire boat prepared for paint with a very hard Emron epoxy paint. I choose colors that would stand out and be easily recognized, emphasizing the design lines of the hull. I added a new white rub rail along with the hand rails, Replaced the newly made side windows. The large deck plate was still aboard and it cover the tank as part of the design. The other deck plates made of teak were missing, and I was able to manufacture my own in the sizes I needed.

I rewired the complete boat, adding my own cockpit dash board with gauges and switches for the all new lighting and gadgets. The original double seat seating and deck below it was rotted and need replacement. Having repaired that I used two swivel seats in its place, along with white tufted vinyl on the cock pit area walls..

After added hydraulic steering with a suicide knob steering wheel, I welcomed having solved that completed issue. The transom was drilled out to insure its strength potential and filled with a special epoxy made just for that purpose, before hanging a Yamaha Saltwater Series, 225 HP outboard motor..

The canvas and interior were made by a local craftsmen to match the color scheme of the boat. The main color, Fighting Lady Yellow was matched with a now discontinued Vanilla canvas, while the interior took in the colors of the paint job..

This two year project was a labor of love. My boat is the talk of the marina. Looking like a newer model vessel many are amazed at the way it came back to life. Thus I felt I had no choice but to name her "Resurrection"! A Name that truly represents want I went through to allow her to float with Godly dignity again.

0 Reader Comments

Join the Discussion