Dawn B 1950 Chevrolet Series 3100 1/2 Ton 2dr Pickup

My dream truck

I was on the lookout for about 1.5 years. I had been talking back and forth with a gentleman about his Chevy truck in a down economy. The day I received a diagnosis of breast cancer I picked up the phone and confirmed that Ivy (1950 Chevy truck) was relocating to Pensacola, Florida. I wanted the farm truck that I had only dreamed about in my mind. I am the 3rd owner and purchased her with 27K original miles. Ivy has her original paint and original 216 engine. I drive her weekly and use her. She is not a trailer queen. We have participated in a few car shows but never win anything. I do not own a shiny, dirt free truck. The joy of allowing an older person to sit in the truck and recant their childhood stories is a far better prize. This well loved Chevy truck is proud to help out with moving furniture, being a back drop for pictures, or just going for a Sunday drive (which is any day). I am quoted as saying, "I might love her more than my children". Speaking of children, I do teach my children (all over age 22) to drive her....if only to pull her out and place a "for-sale" sign on her should something happen to me. I teach them to listen to the vehicle, without a radio the vehicle will talk to you. My children are also seeing the joy of a Sunday drive in Ivy when strangers take pictures of the truck or tell stories about a time their grandfather taught them to drive on a dirt road.

John Sibley Seattle January 7, 2015 at 15:38
    What a wonderful truck! My very first car was a truck. Just like that one, same color, but was a 1952 3100 series. I was 16 years old. Dad found it from a friend of his. It only had 39,000 original miles on it when I took ownership. What great memories I have if my classic pickup. What I wouldn't give to have another one just like it some sweet day. You're very fortunate to own such a rare and beautiful piece of American automotive history.
    Junior Calif January 7, 2015 at 17:31
    That is beautiful truck, that is all original. Not like the trucks made today. Enjoy it and hopefully one kids will love her like you do and will hold on to her. enjoy your truck. There are car clubs in your area. Try V.C.C.A. they are people that love Chevy's
    Eddie Wilson United States January 7, 2015 at 18:31
    Be careful. Hagerty denied coverage on my 66 F100 because when asked "if I ever used it to haul anything", I said "maybe a load of mulch once a year".
    Perry Columbus Ohio January 7, 2015 at 18:34
    Dawn, Always good to hear when someone finds their dream vehicle. Wishing many miles of smiles!
    Ed United States January 7, 2015 at 20:43
    I recently bought a 1953 3100 and use it in the same manner. Mine has a 235 engine from 1954-1957. Love driving it around town. The four on the floor sounds just like the transmission from my school bus days way back when. Enjoy your truck! Ed
    todd United States January 7, 2015 at 21:01
    Such a great story and beautiful truck.
    L Thoms Calgary, Aberta January 8, 2015 at 13:32
    Wow! This is the truck my Mom & Dad had not long after they first got married! Remember driving everywhere with them in that green truck. Lived on the family farm at the time. Good luck. If you ever want to part with it, keep me in mind.
    bruce berst Casper,Wy January 8, 2015 at 14:08
    I grew up on a farm in Montana. For what-ever reason every gas powered vehicle on the farm was a Studebaker,except the lawn mower and our tractors. Dad would wear one out and go fetch a new Studebaker to replace it. I,like most farm kids, start to drive at an early age to help on the farm .My first experience was at age 8. I sat behind the wheel of a 1948 half ton pick-up. It had wooden blocks added to the pedals. I would idle it down the field as my dad loaded hay bales on to the wagon I pulled behind it. When I was old enough to drive legally this became a vehicle I was allowed to take to town. I recently purchased a 1948 Studebaker half ton. I decided to turn it into a street-rod while keeping it all Studebaker. My father (age 95) was quite amazed with its out come,as I have rebuilt several cars over the years and the Stude is by far my favorite.Recently at dinner my 16 year old grandson said "so Grandpa what are you gonna do with the Studebaker when your dead?" Assuring him I was not ready any time soon to do that , I asked him why? He informed me that he would like to have it. As he reminded me of the times he helped me tinker on it and take him along to car shows. The truck has won over a dozen trophies at various shows. It seems the Studebaker "bug" has bitten another generation. My Studebaker "bug" is now called "Studepox" as it has spread to a 1958 Packard/Stude Hawk, and a 1941 Champion coupe. It seems the other grandkids will need one as well.
    Patrick Kroeger Palm Harbor, FL January 8, 2015 at 20:06
    Good for you! I have a 1936 GMC that is also not a trailer queen and my grandchildren love to climb in and all over it. You are the kind of old truck owner that everyone should be! Best to you.
    del secrest chattanooga, tn January 8, 2015 at 09:02
    so, I'm assuming that Hagerty insures this truck? Why then would Hagerty not insure my 1971 Chevy? I use it to haul the occasional load of boards so I can build my birdhouses for my business (but I guess furniture is okay?), and that somehow disqualifies my truck to be covered? It's driven less than 4 tanks of gas a year (don't track mileage, so how can it be "business" mileage?). Just wonderin'.
    Norm O Canada January 8, 2015 at 21:36
    Great Truck, I have the identical truck, almost. Mine is a 3600, and yes everyday is Sunday. Especially if the drive includes an Icecream Shop
    Dan Indiana January 8, 2015 at 10:00
    Beautiful Story!!! I can feel your love for life and it's true meaning. Enjoy your Ivy.
    Janis Minneapolis, MN January 8, 2015 at 10:36
    Woo hoo! What a beautiful truck and I am so happy to see one that's not cherry red and dressed up like a harlot. Old trucks are a joy and I'm so happy you found one to love. Blessings to you on your journey.
    Chuck Walker TN January 23, 2015 at 15:17
    What a beautiful story, truck and lady. (Not necessarily in that order) Not only a lover of classic trucks, but a master gardener to boot. As a very smart man once said, "If you have a library and a garden you have all that you need..." Lets add a classic truck to that list...
    Chuck Minn. January 31, 2015 at 23:32
    I did a ground up restoration of a 1954 Chev. 3100 pickup for an older friend of mine over a three year period. It was also the same green before and after I painted it. My friend was able to show and drive it for one summer but sadly died that December, a year ago. At least he did get one more summer of happiness using his truck in new condition after owning it since 1962.