Mark D 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 2dr SportsRoof

Luckiest find of a lifetime Garage.Barn Find

Recently I was in the market fore a 65-66 vintage Mustang convertible. I had sold my early build 65 Mustang convertible because it was a stick shift six cylinder model. Really wanted an automatic so my wife could drive it too. So I find listed on Craig's list Cleveland a 1966 Mustang convertible with the automatic I wanted located on Cleveland's south west side. So on Halloween night my wife Kathy and I venture to the owners home to see his car. After looking over the car I had pretty much decided it wasn't the car for us and it had been rust patched too many times for us. While standing talking to the owner and watching kids come and go gathering Halloween candy an older gentleman walked up with his grandson. The grandson went to the door for his holiday treats and the older gentleman (Richard) greeted Jon the mustangs owner. He asked if Jon was selling his car as he could see the hood was still open. Obvious hint the car was for sale I guess. Jon stated it was for sale. The older gentleman than stated he was thinking of selling his old cars also. Being an inquisitive person I moved closer to him and asked "What do you have friend ? When he told me I almost fell down. He said- I have a 69 Mustang Mach 1 428CJ 4 speed car and an 68 Oldsmobile Delta 88. After I regained my composure I asked for his phone number and address and asked if I could stop by to see them. He stated sure come on over when your done talking to Jon. We then proceeded to let Jon know his wasn't the car for us and shook hands as new friends. Hurry as we might we drove down the street to Richards house to find out he was only 10 houses away.

Richard must have seen us pull up and greeted us in the driveway. Opening his two car garage door there they were. A black on black 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 428CJ 4 speed car. And of course a 1968 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal Brougham. Scooting past the Olds I immediately went to the Mach 1. In the dim garage light I could tell it was in excellent condition. Dick as he asked us to call him then told me the story how he had purchased the car back in 1974 from the original owner- "Yes that's right 1974" with 47,000 or so miles. It now showed 53,656 miles on the odometer. He told us how he seldom drove it and kept it for sentimental reasons. He didn't tell us the story though. He went on to tell us that it is mostly original other then a few touch-ups on the paint. It's a numbers matching car. I would call it a survivor car. So after spending some time with a flash light over and under the car I was ready to make an offer. I asked what he was thinking and he told me. It was a good starting point and I went on to explain to him what I would do if I could purchase the car. We haggled back and forth for some time and after 6 attempted hand shakes he relented and the Mach was mine. All in all my wife and I had spent a little over 4 hours looking at two Mustangs and took ownership of one rare Mustang. This is the short version of the story obviously. On Sunday November 2nd we went back and trailered home our car. My wife still can't drive it but it's one sweet ride. I have ordered a Marti report and it shows it's one of 1485 built with this motor/transmission codes. It bears most of it's original paint. These are stories we all hear about but it's always the other guy that finds the rare car. Well this time it's me telling the story. I have all my cars insured with Haggerty and just today added this Mustang to your roster for insurance. Thanks for letting me tell my story.

Mark D

phil saint paul November 20, 2014 at 13:20
    Congrats on the find! If I brought home an automatic for my wife, she would kill me in my sleep. Mark, I suggest you try the Ray Magliozzi method to teach your wife to shift for herself.
    Gordo Massachusetts November 20, 2014 at 13:34
    I'd love to hear the whole long version of the story including the $$$ part and what you paid. How about some pictures of the interior, undercarriage, and engine? Why can't your wife drive it, is it not an automatic?
    Scott Ohio November 20, 2014 at 13:44
    What an awesome story and the car is ridiculous. I love the fact that it is a 428 CJ and has those hubcaps!
    Jerome Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, Canada November 20, 2014 at 14:09
    What a wonderful story - the pics had me drooling! Congrats on such an amazing find!
    Steve Hamilton November 20, 2014 at 15:50
    How come this NEVER happens to me? Great find! Nice ride!
    Alex Ford Simi Valley, Ca. November 20, 2014 at 17:33
    What a great car and a great story. It usually is the other guy, but once in a while it is you who gets that rare barn find. This one really takes the cake.
    KjenkinsJC Chicago November 20, 2014 at 18:04
    '69 are the best looking of them all. I had a '69 Mach I 351. Blue with white interior... wish I had it today.
    Eldon Mebane,NC. November 20, 2014 at 21:55
    Mark, What a cool story. It just goes to show, that you never know when or where that special car is going to show up.
    Joel Goldberg New Hampshire November 20, 2014 at 22:37
    Interesting that the car has a 2V rear valance and not the 4V version.
    Val Zephyrhills Fl. November 20, 2014 at 23:02
    Mark did well, but got a better one?Guy answerd an add for a 55 chev asking 5 gs.He went to look at it& found a vette. All in peices,but restored.The Hubby passed away& She finally decided to sell. Val
    Frank Wichita Ks November 20, 2014 at 11:56
    You know you could have also purchase the Delta 88 for your wife at the same time (I am sure it was an automatic), and being a 'Brougham' I am sure it was a fine automobile too' ! You could have used the "I will buy both cars" card as a bargaining chip.
    Jim Thomas Tulsa, Okla. November 20, 2014 at 12:23
    Have purchased a 1951 ford F-1 pickup with original flathead V-8. Needs restoration. Has anyone had one and would care to give me some advice. I would like to keep it original , but change to disc brakes and easier steering. Thanks for help and thots. Jim T.
    web reno November 21, 2014 at 14:20
    would have been easier just to get a new wife that could drive a stick. Nice story but what did you pay for the ride??????????
    Tom Cotter Davidson, NC November 21, 2014 at 07:31
    Great story, Mark. Please get in touch with me; maybe I can use your story and photos in my next barn-find book! Thanks for sharing.
    Geoffrey Jenkins United States November 21, 2014 at 11:29
    great story Mark, yes indeed you found a treasure by chance.
    AmyP LaVista Hills November 23, 2014 at 14:04
    I'll teach your wife how to drive it :)
    Mike M. Derby, Ks. November 24, 2014 at 16:31
    Big Deal! Your wife still can't drive it. It may be a rare Mustang, but its still a a gazillion others I've seen at car shows. Eventually the Olds will win out since its now a "orphan car.
    SS396 Deep South Texas November 28, 2014 at 11:45
    Congrats on the 69 CJ, coolest of the cool mustangs. Great story. Now you have to buy another automatic for your wife, simple. Scott
    RJ Db ca November 30, 2014 at 18:34
    I'd have left that Olds too, old man car. Nice find on that mustang! Stick or auto who cares, get what you want.