David S

I Dream of Miriam

I bought 'Miriam' (my first MGB GT) back in 1988 while living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Miriam is a 1969 MGB GT and her seller was the original owner and had driven the car to college.I had always loved the lines of these cars from my younger days when I noticed MG's running around.

I took her home and over the next few months, got her back on the road, more of a budget refurbishment than anything else. When the car was back on the road, we christened it with the name ‘Miriam,’ putting a green decal of her name on the back glass. In mid-1993 I sold Miriam.

Fast forward to November, 2012, now living in Georgia and being MG-less I was cruising the internet looking to cure that situation. Nothing seemed available (at least in my price range) in the immediate area, so I decided to look in neighboring Alabama. As I looked on Birmingham’s Craigslist, I saw a 1969 MGB for sale. Not making the connection at first, I thought, “Oh that’s neat; I used to own one of those.”

The ad said the car was in Tuscaloosa, and there in one of the photos you could see ‘Miriam’ on the back glass. I couldn’t believe it! I called my wife and she said, “Contact them, see if you can buy it.” (What a girl!) There was no phone number or price in the ad; it just said: sale or trade. I send an email and got a reply back a few hours later that he wanted $850, someone was offering to trade hunting equipment and if that didn’t work out he would let me know.

Initially, I did not mention that I used to own the car or that I was not local to the car, but when I received that reply, I decided to play all my cards. I wrote back stating that I was in Georgia, used to own the car and would give him $1000 if he would hold it for me until that weekend and that, by the way, this was no joke. It turned out that when he saw my reply and my name, he knew it was no joke, as there were some papers in the car with my name on them. That Saturday a friend and I rented a tow dolly and make the drive to Tuscaloosa, which was also a college football home game day, so loads of traffic in town.

On the photos, the first is at my home in Tuscaloosa (circa 1990), the second is her in my garage in Georgia (2012), the third is during her resurrection (2013) and the firth is her current state (2014).

Miriam is at home again and has now had a full restoration back to how she looked in 1969. I drive here every week, sometimes several days a week, even in Atlanta traffic. She's fully sorted and always eager to go!

Craig Colorado October 16, 2014 at 15:53
    Great story and a fine looking auto! Glad to hear that you get out and drive it!
    chris Atlanta October 16, 2014 at 16:46
    love that story....
    Butch Brock San Antonio, Texa October 16, 2014 at 17:43
    What a beautiful story of one man's love & being reunited with his long lost love, Miriam. She was loved and cherished by the man so much that even his wife could not keep them apart and did what she could to help bring them back together again. Very touching yet somehow inspirational.
    Kenny Snyder La Center, WA 98629 October 16, 2014 at 18:30
    Drop dead beautiful MGB-GT, this one wins.
    Michael Seeley United States October 16, 2014 at 21:08
    Great story and great looking MGB GT. Thanks for sharing!
    bill Texas October 16, 2014 at 22:36
    Great looking GT
    amanda woodstock October 17, 2014 at 14:38
    This is an awesome story!!! My dad dreams of the day he gets the chance to try its with one of his cars from his teens and racing days!
    Jack Long Forest Hill, MD October 17, 2014 at 14:48
    Pretty car. BRG just looks so right on an MGB GT.
    Wayne Georgia October 17, 2014 at 16:55
    nice care and story
    Don Cartersville, GA October 17, 2014 at 06:33
    Cool car and even cooler story. Great job on the restoration.
    Marietta Roswell, GA October 17, 2014 at 06:56
    This is a sweet ride! You did an excellent job getting "her" back into shape.
    Dave Suwanee, GA October 17, 2014 at 19:12
    Great story and great looking car. It's so good to see these old cars as drivers rather than trailer queens. Good job, Dave.
    Josh S GA October 17, 2014 at 09:26
    David is my father and I remember this car very well. I was really excited when he told me Miriam had been rediscovered!
    Mark Blomquist Tucson October 17, 2014 at 10:25
    This is an absolutely exquisite specimen of this car. I have seen this one in person and you can tell there was a lot of attention to detail and love put into the restoration. Great story and take good care of Miriam!
    Jennifer atlanta October 17, 2014 at 11:03
    great story David!
    Dale Louque Louisiana October 17, 2014 at 12:55
    Great story of your first love.I had the same experience with my 69 Shelby GT500. Lost it and found it again.
    jimmy culver Lithia Springs Ga. October 18, 2014 at 02:29
    What a great story! David is a friend of mine and a true "Octagonhead". I met David a few years ago when he drove up to my MG shop in a beautifully restored 65 B. Being an octagonhead myself, I was duly impressed with the car, especially after being told that he had done all the restoration himself. David has done several projects for me as well as for some of my customers, always with superior results. I remember when David bought Miriam, but was unaware that Miriam was his first BGT. Some things are just meant to be. I seriously doubt that Miriam and David will ever be parted again. David is a true craftsman and a tribute to those of us who are fortunate enough to have the " MG ILLNESS". He has helped me out of several difficult spots from time to time. As an MG owner an MG shop owner for almost forty years, I must say that David's talent and dedication to excellence in restoring our beloved British cars is the best that I have come in contact with. Jimmy Culver MG CARS Lithia Springs, Ga.
    Hunter Lawrence, Kansas October 19, 2014 at 14:49
    Great story! You're one lucky kid to get her back.
    Tim Anderson Roswell, GA October 19, 2014 at 18:36
    I have had the opportunity to get to know David and his wonderful MGB GT. He has done a fantastic job of restoring this car, and it looks great. What a wonderful story of finding his car after so many years! You can't invent such a great story. I hope David gets many years of enjoyment with his re-found love.
    David Ontario November 5, 2014 at 13:09
    Good story, better wife for letting you buy it back. My story is similar, bought back my original '85 TBIRD "fila" edition on encouragement from my wife.
    Pat Smith Rochester, NY November 9, 2014 at 14:38
    I graduated in '69 and wanted an MGBGT so badly for my graduation present. Instead was given the old family Ford station wagon, Country Squire. Threw a temper tantrum for months!!! Ended up going to college as a hippie and painted the car appropriately to piss parents off. They sold it and got me a VW Bug--still no MG. Do have a nice corvette today though. Love Miriam and glad you got reunited. She is still beautiful!!!! Great design.