Johnny S 1990 Consulier GTP Targa

Car Find Story! 20 years later....

In 1993, I walked into a repair shop. A large, outdated, 1991 calendar hung on the wall, featuring the most unusual, amazing car I had ever seen. A 1990 Consulier GTP Targa. Later, finding out anything more about this unique car was impossible. No internet way back then! The car, the poster, the colors and what the car looked like was forgotten until 20 years later.

I had seen some magazines featuring full page ads, showing a couple shiny red Consulier GTP cars but way out of my price range. Later, the company had a store of them in a warehouse, and marked them down because they wanted to clear some space, but still, my pockets weren’t that deep.

Early in August 2013, a car guy I know contacted me saying he had bought one of the left over Consulier GTP cars and I had better call quick! The cars were now priced to sell, as the company was bought out and they wanted to clear the warehouse. Once selling for $58,000 to $70,000 in 1990, they were going for $15,000 and less. My friend thought there was a chance they might have couple left.  I called and was told there was only one left, the “Barbie” car. The what? He said it was the Matco Tool calendar car back in 1991. We made a deal and the car was mine.

I went to the factory for a tour before having the car shipped across the county from Florida to Oregon. A new company has taken over since Consulier/ Mosler was sold. I was introduced to a guy that had been working on these cars since the late 80’s. On his wall was “the calendar” I remembered seeing back in ’93. Oh my! It was MY car in the poster, the same exact car I had fallen in love with 20 years before. In that moment, everything I had forgotten came flooding back into my memory. The poster car is the car I bought!  It had always been a factory demo and promo car. The car was painted up “Miami Vice” colors for the Matco Tool calendar/poster from the very beginning and left that way. It had been masked off for a repaint, but then stuck in a corner of the factory and just left. It sat that way for the last 18 years. It had 29,000 miles on it. I am the first owner of this car. Most Consulier GTP's are hard topped cars, this is one of the 8 targa cars they had made.

I guess it was sitting there just waiting for me, the guy who fell in love with it 20 years ago.

Elaine Cramer Oregon October 16, 2014 at 14:37
    Amazing! What a unique car and story.
    Kristi Cramer United States October 16, 2014 at 14:55
    What a great story of a dream coming full circle. :-)
    Jane Cramer Oregon October 16, 2014 at 15:09
    Very interesting story about a dream come true. May Jay Leno would be interested for his car program.
    Chris Washington October 16, 2014 at 16:38
    These cars have a special place in my heart...I love them! Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to have one....
    Flailingarms United States October 16, 2014 at 19:29
    And I got to drive it after Johnny bought it. He and I did a 2400-mile round trip from Oregon to a car show in LaLaLand, I got to peddle it for over 1000 of those miles. Is it a cool car?! Oh, yyyeeesss!!!
    Johnny Spiva Coos Bay Oregon October 16, 2014 at 07:32
    Forgot to include the page from the large calendar that started it all.
    Sherrie Boehm Wisconsin October 16, 2014 at 10:40
    What a wonderful story,, I got to ride in these car,.. Love it,,
    Ray Nebraska October 16, 2014 at 10:48
    That's a really cool story! Enjoy the car.
    Devin Washington October 16, 2014 at 12:32
    Never even heard of these cars until now, great story!
    Stephen Calgary October 17, 2014 at 12:55
    Great story Johnny! I'm glad to see that the 2.2 TII supercar is finally getting some well deserved attention.
    Alan J SoCal October 20, 2014 at 13:15
    Back in 93 I had a Honda CBR900 RR, it was fast, I raced it often running high 10's at Brotherhood Raceway at Terminal Island. One afternoon on the 57Freeway by Angel Stadium while riding the CBR, I see a silver/light gray GTP. Being a longtime Mopar fan I knew what it was and he makes it clear he wants to race me. I remember finding it odd and funny that he would be so foolish... So I drop a gear and give him the nod and we both go. He starts pulling away from me and it takes my brain a second or two to realize I should have dropped 2 gears or more! I then have to drop another and had to tuck to full aero mode and work at reeling him back in. About 110 he decided it was enough. I still swear to this day that's the hardest I ever had to work to beat a 'street car' on the Honda. Never will forget the first GTP I saw in the wild. Great story about your car Johnny, it clearly found the right owner!
    RW222 October 20, 2014 at 12:34
    Hey, it's not often a guy gets to hunt down the pin-up girl of his dreams from his younger days.... and then get together with her. Congrats Mr S
    Flailingarms Oregon October 26, 2014 at 02:12
    I was with Johnny at a Mopar meet in SoCal this April (2014) and Jay Leno was there with his Chrysler Turbine. I handed him one of Johnny's cards that features a photo of Barbie. Leno said, "Fast but ugly." I wasn't quick-witted enough to reply, "Is that what your wife says about you?"
    Jim Fl November 5, 2014 at 16:38
    I love those cars, light & fast. Warren was hping to get sales up by winning races, which they did but it didnt get the positive press required because Warren did do advertising, he is a racer. Iknow that car well even saw it built in WPB, Im sure Warren would love to speak w/you, he's a great guy. Try or
    LB MARS November 6, 2014 at 11:37
    Did you get the calendar too?
    LB MARS November 6, 2014 at 11:37
    Did you get the calendar too?
    Johnny Coos Bay Oregon November 20, 2014 at 14:10
    I did not get the calendar "yet". I am looking for one. BUT I did get the one page of the calendar with my car on it. When I went to the factory for a tour, they presented me with that one page.