Kathleen K 1968 Ford Mustang 2dr Coupe

The Seductress

This is really my husband's story:

That car seduced me! In 1971 when I was 19 I looked for my first car at all the local used car dealerships. No luck, until my mom spotted a newspaper ad and suggested I check it out.

I went to look her over--a Meadowlark Yellow 1968 Mustang with black C-stripes and a black interior. It whispered my name--repeatedly. It knew it had me. I was taken!

Because it had a 6-cylinder engine and automatic transmission, it was considered a compact car, so as a 19-year old male I could afford the insurance on it. I plunked down $1600 and brought my beauty home. I caressed her with soap and water and layers of wax. We had some unforgettable adventures together.

In 1977 I wooed my future wife, driving 120 miles every time I wanted to see her. She was as smitten as I over my beautiful Mustang. We've shared some great rides through the years.

It's been a 43-year affair full of memorable road trips and a few misadventures. I wouldn't have missed it for anything!

Kitty K. WI July 17, 2014 at 16:22
    Fine story! Enjoyed the romance!
    Marilyn Schultz West Allis Wi. July 17, 2014 at 16:57
    I could really feel the strong sentiment Steve holds for his Mustang as well as the humor that his wife feels for the car. Lovely story.
    Cathy MN July 17, 2014 at 18:08
    Great title which aroused my interest in reading the article. The article helped me understand the allure of the car for her husband. Glad to have a happy ending.
    Kristine Dunker Anchorage, AK July 17, 2014 at 20:39
    We all remember our first cars, but few of us have kept and taken care of them throughout our lives. I've always admired my aunt and uncles interest in vintage vehicles. From the mustang to the ex, all the kids in the family fondly remember and still enjoy those cars. For me, it makes me remember my childhood.. And later wedding pictures. It is fun to read this and think about what those memories are for my uncle.
    John Falkner Waukesha, WI July 17, 2014 at 20:49
    This illustrates how our old Mustangs are not just cars, but long time members of our families that have played integral parts in our lives. GREAT STORY!
    Terri Hoffman West Allis, WI July 17, 2014 at 21:13
    I know the allure of old classic cars....and Kathleen (Kitty) has captured it in her story of her and Steve's love of his infamous Mustang..... Glad that her story of her husband's love affair with the Mustang was fulfilled what better than his first car. Wish today one could get a car for $1600....wow have times changed. Great story.
    Steve West Allis, Wisconsin July 17, 2014 at 23:29
    Very good story !
    Ann Hains Milwaukee, Wi July 18, 2014 at 20:43
    The story captures the essence of a man's love for his car. It recalls a special time in life. So glad you shared it. I hope you both have many more adventures with your clubs and travels.
    David Rymaszewski Milwaukee, WI July 18, 2014 at 10:36
    A 43 year old car & Original Owner? WOW! Nice. Best wishes for you both cruising together.
    Margaret Muskego July 18, 2014 at 10:45
    Great story. I can understand his attachment to this car -- I practically cry every time I have to trade an auto in.
    John Washington July 18, 2014 at 11:21
    Kitty, it's always good to hear from you and share stories. I loved this personal story of unforgotten memories.
    John Washington July 18, 2014 at 11:21
    Karen McQuestion Hartland, WI July 18, 2014 at 11:37
    A great story of a beautiful couple and a gorgeous car! Looking at that photo, anyone would get car envy.
    Kathy Milwaukee July 18, 2014 at 11:38
    I'm not even a car person usually but I loved this story!
    Karen McQuestion Hartland, WI July 20, 2014 at 13:54
    Terrific story and I love the photo!
    Ton Milwaukee July 20, 2014 at 22:11
    Great story!
    Sally Duerbeck Arlington, VA July 20, 2014 at 11:04
    Good story and great car . . . a lifetime of memories! I will send this piece to my brother-in-law in Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin who works on vintage cars; I admire his life-long hobby. He will enjoy reading your story.
    Marge Layde Milwaukee,Wi July 21, 2014 at 12:29
    A wonderful story. It reminds me of my first car--a yellow mustang.
    Anita Bradley Milwaukee July 22, 2014 at 18:13
    Very charming story. I think the owner of this car is as good looking as is the Mustang. My husband never courted me in anything this fine.
    mary k wauwatosa July 22, 2014 at 18:25
    Enjoyed the memories of your "multi-purpose" cherished car!
    Zsofia WI July 22, 2014 at 06:56
    Love the story! Fun to read!
    Laurie Hooper United States July 22, 2014 at 08:14
    Very Nice!
    Melba Loosen Milwaukee, WI July 22, 2014 at 20:43
    What a "tail"!
    Deigo San Jose, Costa Rica July 22, 2014 at 20:47
    Wow!
    Shelly Paul WI July 25, 2014 at 12:36
    Wow, sounds like there's another woman to contend with. What a great story of how two love affairs started!!
    Gerard Milwaukee, Wi. July 26, 2014 at 01:20
    Nice to see someone taking care of the past. Hope the future remains bright for the owner and his very special drive!!!!!! All you need to complete the story is a call from "MUSTANG SALLY".
    Joe Somonauk Illinois July 28, 2014 at 13:48
    Hi Steve and Kitty, Having seen the Mustang I appreciate how you feel. It is a great car. Thanks for sharing your story. Joe
    Pat Largo, Florida July 28, 2014 at 20:27
    Nice story. Makes me wish I'd kept my first car. Maybe I'll keep present car for another 20 years. It's a '92 T-Bird...with NO air-conditioning and I live in Florida! Or maybe not. Guess nothing beats the Mustang story.
    Laura United States July 28, 2014 at 12:46
    What a ride! Sweet story!
    Darhla Auburn, Wa July 30, 2014 at 23:13
    I worked for friends doing housework, etc and they let me drive their blue 1968 Mustang many times. To this day, I will always point out a car I like and it turns out to be a mustang. Many fun high school memories.
    Jeannette S New Berlin, WI July 30, 2014 at 23:14
    What a great story. I remember when Steve bought it. I know how proud he is of it and what wonderful care he has taken of it through the years. If that car could talk, I'm sure it would have lots of great stories.
    Armando Cartagena, Espania September 10, 2014 at 10:01
    Your words speak to my soul.