Robert M 1957 Chevrolet 210 Townsman 4dr Station Wagon

High School Car - 40 years later

In July of 1974, I was a 16 year old who had a love for 1957 Chevys. I scoured the newspaper and found several for sale. My Dad and I looked at a few and I was so disappointed that $450 would not get me much (even back then). I worked at a grocery store and one day I saw it... a 1957 Chevy Station Wagon pulled into the parking lot. It had a for sale sign on the rear window. I wrote down the telephone number and the very next Saturday morning my Dad and I drove to Redondo Beach to look at the car. We lived in Torrance so it wasn't very far, the older gentleman and his wife lived about 1/4 mile from the beach. He pulled the wagon out of his garage, it had 67,000 miles on it and it sounded like a brand new car. After my test drive, I wanted the car. My Dad, always practical, said, "Rob, this is the car you should buy." But there was a problem, I didn't have the $550 that Mr. Stewart wanted. I tried to haggle with him but he wouldn't budge. Finally Mr. Stewart said, "Son, I can see you really like the car. I will come down to $525. Pay me $425 now and make me payments for the balance." I made several payments to Mr. Stewart and with the last payment he gave me the pink slip. When I drove the car home, it was the most exciting drive of my life. I still remember the feel and sound of my Chevy. My Dad seemed as excited as I was and cleared a spot in the garage for my "new" car. I spent countless hours cleaning, polishing and admiring my 57. It was my primary mode of transportation until 1978, when I bought a new Camaro, but I still kept the Chevy. Then I moved out of my parents house but my Dad let me keep the Chevy in the garage. Fast forward to 1982, I would periodically take the Chevy out of the garage, wash it and dIrive it around the block. Then one day my Chevy wouldn't start. I remember thinking, "Wow, I need to see what's wrong with my 57." I finally did. In August 2012, a buddy and I loaded the Chevy on a trailer and brought it to my house in Simi Valley. We rebuilt the engine, installed a Turbo 350 transmission and disc brakes and a lot of other new parts. About one year later, September 2013, I drove my Chevy once again. Wow, what an exciting experience, I cannot begin to describe the rush. I only wish my Dad was still alive. I've kept the same look the car had in the 1970's. I am going to keep the Chevy and pass it down to my son. I hope he enjoys it as much as I have and still do!

0 Reader Comments

Join the Discussion