scott D 1965 Chevrolet Corvair Corsa 2dr Convertible

the day my tires got a parking ticket

I was a college student in Reading Pa. in 1967. I had just purchased a unique Corvair. It was one of the Corsa models modified by racing great John Fitch. Called the "Fitch Corsa Sprint", mine was even more unique, having been ordered by a resturantuer in New York City. It was finished in dark metallic green with a saddle tan interior. The special fitch roof was fitted along with engine enhancements. What really made the car unique was that all factory nameplates had been removed by Fitch and the original fuel filler was leaded in and a Monza filler was centrally located on the forward fuel tank.

Now the story: I was late for class one morning and coming through town I also managed to run out of gas. I coasted into a parking spot and set out on foot to find a gas station. When I returned, 15 minutes later, I was greeted by a parking ticket and summons as I had had no change to put into the meter. The police officer must been thoroughly confused by the non stock appearance of the car and the total lack of G.M. or Chevy branding. Obviously frustrated, he found the only wording on the car that identified it. Thus, I think I am the only car owner ever to have received a parking violation for a "Green Michelin two door coupe".

Scott Dames

Don & Dee Pellegrini Arizona July 11, 2014 at 22:24
    Fantastic story! Great memories of your college days and unique cars. Love the description of your parking violation of the car.
    Kim Carey Finger Lakes, NY July 12, 2014 at 16:22
    Would love to see the Judges face if you fought that in court. Great story , Scott :)
    Keith Kendig Phoenix, Arizona July 12, 2014 at 20:00
    I live in Phoenix and know Scott quite well. This is a great story and you should some other ones. They are all honest stories.
    cps Arizona July 12, 2014 at 23:43
    Why is I can just visualize that cop poring over the car looking for a nameplate... He didn't know a Corvair, really?? So it must be a Michelin!! Great story, Scott!
    Lindy Phoenix, AZ July 13, 2014 at 13:13
    Had he been knowledgable he probably would have issued the ticket to John Fitch.. Great story Scott !
    heartracer Arizona July 13, 2014 at 20:18
    And I thought you never get tickets. You could have used an easier brand of tires for a cop to spell. Great story.
    ZACHARY SCHULMAN new york July 13, 2014 at 12:30
    Was that why we nosed and decked our cars back then? Funny story !
    Skip Atkins Santa Fe, NM July 14, 2014 at 10:49
    I know Scott from car tours and shows. This is a great story and I'm sure the French would love to take credit for the Corvair.