Larry K 1966 Dodge Charger 2dr Fastback Coupe

For you Dad and thank you

Years ago, my Dad had one of these when they were new. He loved the car. It was my job to take it to the "do it yourself" car wash to get the salt and crud off during the winter. Back then, cars got traded every couple of years. He sold it to one of my brother's friends. It took him all of 6 months to trash the car and my Dad was sick about it. Fast forward about 30 years. I wanted to do something for him to show my appreciation for his treating me good while I was growing up. I found this car in a garage and paid all of $1000 for it. It was in such bad condition that it had to be towed home. I worked on it, part time, after work and weekends restoring it for about 3 1/2 years in my driveway. It was supposed to be a secret but he found out about about 2 years into the project. Normally I knew ahead of time when he'd come out to visit and I could hide the car across the street.. He showed up unexpectedly one day.and saw the car in pieces in the driveway and asked me about it.. All i did was hand him the keys. I told him it was going to be his and I told him why I was building it.Then I took the keys back and told him when it was finished I'd give the keys back to him. He started to cry a little. He told me it wasn't so much that i was going to give the car to him and the reasons why but it was because he saw how much work it had been and how much I still had to do. Funny how he looked at it. The car was totally stripped out and up on blocks. No engine, tranny or drive train. Interior all out too. When I finally finished it he wouldn't take it back East because he said the weather was too crappy and it would have to spend too much time in the garage but it would be here for him to drive when he visited. He lived in Buffalo, NY and I lived in California. Funny thing, he didn't want to drive it because he was afraid he'd wreck it somehow. I had to force him into it, if for no other reason than to get pictures of him in HIS car. Ne's been gone for awhile now but i still have it Thanks Dad.

Chris Portland July 11, 2014 at 16:42
    Thank you for that great story. I have so many great memories of my dad and his cars. I am fortunate enough to have him with me still and we play with our cars all of the time. The family time and memories are so much more valuable than the cars.
    Dave Walla Walla July 12, 2014 at 17:14
    My second car was a 1967 Charger. It had belonged to the son of a good friend of my dad's. When I came home from work on my 19th birthday, it was sitting in the driveway. My dad said I could get it a good price, & I fell in love with it & made a deal. My dad is gone now, & have not had that car for years, but I now have a 1966 Charger in the process of getting restored.
    Dan Las Vegas, NV July 12, 2014 at 17:22
    Beautiful car and a beautiful story to go with it.
    land n pole July 12, 2014 at 17:29
    Great restoration, and cool story.
    Nancy Calif. July 12, 2014 at 18:28
    Your Dad loved that car Larry and he loved to say "My son built it for me!" So many memories and love.
    alex kaye west hills July 12, 2014 at 18:59
    I can imagine seeing dzia dzia being afraid to hurt it
    Jesse McMurtry United States July 12, 2014 at 19:04
    That is an amazing car but even better story.....More need to be like you Larry!!
    SueZeQ13 AZ July 12, 2014 at 19:13
    awesome story AND car!
    Wayne Paris Addison Il. July 12, 2014 at 20:31
    Great looking car and a great story!
    Paul Hickory July 12, 2014 at 22:17
    My favorite car I ever owned was a '66 Buick Skylark. I know - more of a family car than anything. But cars sure had more style in that era.
    Lester Culver Bowling Green, KY July 12, 2014 at 22:27
    I remember your dad having a Charger. This was an awesome tribute to him. Brings back some memories. Awesome restoration job!
    Dorcey Wingo United States July 12, 2014 at 23:23
    Nice straight Classic, enjoyed Larry's story.
    Tom Georgia July 13, 2014 at 13:48
    Wonderful story about a car bond between father &son.mfirma
    evan san Fernando valley July 13, 2014 at 05:34
    This is soo awesome never knew the whole story pretty cool
    tony stockton ca July 13, 2014 at 06:02
    o man this is good i was thinking about doing the same for my dad also yea my family r in to imports even both my parents but when they came here from lao he had an american muscle so in aug. i was thinking about buying him one and restored it for him but own to come find out the car he had is worth over 7-8k decent and 4k junk out.... anyways love what u did i know ur dad was very happy...
    Scott westhills July 14, 2014 at 04:57
    Thank you for that story you have no idea what it does to me to see how much a son and father can bond with something like a car and to what degree it takes you to.