Ken A 1967 Jaguar E-Type SI.5 2dr Coupe 2+2

roadie nightmare

My wife and I are returning home from a long weekend getaway. We're traveling south on I95 and were within 70-80 miles of home it was early night 8-9:00 PM. So, all is well the Jag had performed flawlessly that particular trip. SO, I notice the ALT indicator was starting to glow, first it was sporadic, then, then a constant glow. I pull as far off the road as possible and the cars are "zipping" by, as one can imagine. I open the bonnet and started looking around for the Alternator,tugging the various wires attached to it. Then, I saw it! Holy Cow, I'm thinking. Ho the heck can I fix this.....It seems all 4 of the case screw nuts had backed off, never to be seen again and the case was separating. UGH! I though about awhile and thinking this going to cost a bunch, if I can even get a flatbed. On top of this, this was "before" cell phone days. Then it dawned on me, I might be able to limp home if I can figure out a way to pus the cast back together and hold it in place. Having been to the bank and made deposits in this car numerous times, I had a bunch of paper clips in the storage cubby. Fortunately, I had my trusty factory Jag tool roll which contained pliers among other useful tools. I was able to connect several of the paper clips together and replace two of the long bolts on diagonal corners. I was able to twist the ends together, thus hold the case. The old girl fired right up we were on our way. LUCAS showed us mercy on that particular dark night. After all LUCAS is the Prince of Darkness.......

Leo H Maryland June 12, 2014 at 13:08
    Enjoyed reading this story. Well done emergency repair using what was available to save the day. The Prince of Darkness (Lucas) would be proud!
    Dief Vermont May 27, 2015 at 13:49
    Reminds me of how a friend in the service "fixed" a broken fan belt in the '50's. He used his shoe laces. It worked!
    Richard from Oakhurst Oakhurst, CA May 27, 2015 at 14:11
    Great story. Modern zip ties are today's solution to that and many other problems. Hook them together and they can serve as a fan belt.
    Jeffrey Casida Hobart, Oklahoma May 27, 2015 at 21:16
    In 1972, I had a 1968, 4.2 Liter, E-Type roadster. Yes, notorious for electrical problems. I was 21 years old, driving between Oklahoma City and Norman, at night, in a driving rain storm at 80 mph. The lights and windshield wipers quit simultaneously! I had already learned to keep a box of fuses within reach. Doubtless with these failures in mind, the fuse box was dead center in the middle of the dash, within reach without even getting out of the driver's seat. I changed the fuses and was on the road again in minutes. Beautiful car but repairs and maintenance consumed my budget. I lasted 13 months before switching to a '72 Vette. Beautiful, beautiful car, though.
    tom texas May 27, 2015 at 12:49
    very good story. and lucas in indeed the prince of darkness!!!
    Eddie Plano, Texas May 28, 2015 at 14:35
    Paper clips, that was a good fix! Rubber bands might be a good fix too. The following is not presented to stimulate a debate, but... you brought up "The prince od darkness". However, “The Prince of Darkness" likely caused the nuts to vanish! It is more likely “The Son of God" gave you the solution! Nice job, your being sensitive to the guidance of the "Holy Spirit". Keep your paper clips and rubber bands handy.