Auction Results: RM’s Sam Pack Collection Sale
This month RM Auctions offered 131 vehicles from the extensive collection of Sam Pack. All cars offered found new homes at this no reserve sale, generating an impressive $11.5 Million. Top marks went to a pair of Shelby Cobra roadsters. The highest sale went to a 1967 Shelby Cobra that started life as a 428 cid V-8 car and later had a more sought-after 427 installed; it brought $1.3 Million. Number two sale went to a 1963 Shelby Cobra, which brought $880,000. It started life as a 260 cid V-8 car and also had an engine swap later in life for a 289. This goes to show that Shelbys that are not 100 percent original can still bring big price tags.
Few deals were found as the quality of the cars forced bidders to pay top-of-the-market prices. A 19,000-mile, 1967 Volkswagen Beetle Coupe sold for $33,000, and a 1959 Impala Convertible hammered for $101,750. Even “affordable” collector cars were demanding premium prices: A 1988 Ford Mustang GT Convertible with 10,000 miles on the clock sold for $24,750. This is most certainly a testament to the quality of Mr. Pack’s collection.
Top 10 Sales:
- 1967 Shelby Cobra Roadster sold for $1,292,500
- 1963 Shelby Cobra Roadster sold for $880,000
- 2006 Ford GT Coupe sold for $418,000
- 1931 Chrysler CG Imperial Roadster $341,000
- 1969 Shelby GT500 Convertible $280,500
- 1939 Lincoln-Zephyr Street Rod $253,000
- 1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible $247,000
- 1965 Shelby Cobra Continuation Roadster $225,500
- 1932 Packard Eight Roadster $209,000
- 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Adrenalin Concept $173,250
RM’s next sale will be held from January 14-16 in Phoenix, Ariz.