After four years of two-day sales in Phoenix, RM reformatted its annual Arizona event, held…
Auction Recap: RM Auctions’ 2015 Phoenix Sale
RM Auctions entered 2015 in much the same way it ended 2014: by pushing its totals ever higher. The company’s Phoenix, Ariz., event —held Jan. 15-16, 2015 — finished with 114 of 127 lots sold for a total of $63.7 million, including buyer’s premium. This tally bested 2014’s numbers by nearly 40%, with the average sale price growing by more than $135,000.
The auction’s top sale was also the highest amount ever paid for a car during Arizona’s annual January auctions. For those who might question the worth of that title, consider that a bazillion cars (more or less) have been sold during this series of sales over the years. Earning the honor was a 1964 Ferrari 250 LM, which traded for $9,625,000, including buyer’s premium. Seven other Ferraris placed in the top 10 list, with a 1984 288 GTO demonstrating the current fervor around one of the marque’s 1980s supercars. The model was coming from an exceptional Japanese collection, and saw some of the briskest bidding of the week as it sailed past its $2.4 million high estimate en route to a record $2.75 million sale price.
Other notable sales included a rare 1984 Audi Sport Quattro that sold for $401,500, an impeccably restored 1956 Continental Mark II that impressed at $247,500, and yet another flat floor E-type surpassing the $400,000 mark (this one, a convertible, ending at $440,000).
Overall Top 10 Sales:
- 1964 Ferrari 250 LM Coupe Sold For $9,625,000
- 1967 Ferrari 275 GTB/4 Coupe Sold For $3,657,500
- 1973 Ferrari 365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder Sold For $3,300,000
- 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/2 Longnose Coupe Sold For $2,750,000
- 1984 Ferrari 288 GTO Coupe Sold For $2,750,000
- 1966 Ferrari 275 GTS Spyder Sold For $2,365,000
- 1971 Lamborghini Miura P400 SVJ Coupe Sold For $1,897,500
- 1962 Ferrari 250 SII Cabriolet Sold For $1,705,000
- 1965 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS Coupe Sold For $1,650,000
- 2005 Ferrari FXX Evoluzione Coupe Sold For $1,622,500
RM’s next auction is scheduled for Feb. 4, 2015, in Paris alongside Retromobile. The company’s next American sale will be in Amelia Island, Fla., Mar. 14, 2015. Highlighting that sale is the 1990 Daytona 24 Hours-winning 1988 Jaguar XJR-9 race car.