Bonhams concluded its annual sale held in conjunction with the Goodwood Festival of Speed on…
Bonhams Spa Classic 2013 Recap
Bonhams held its first Belgian event, the Spa Classic auction, on May 25 in Francorchamps. The event included a variety of classic cars, with an emphasis on racing cars of the 1970s. Half the cars offered (27 of 54) sold, resulting in overall sales of $4.5 million.
Top seller for the day was a 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta that sold for $1.2 million, including buyer’s premium, followed by a top-shelf price of $744,000 for a wonderfully restored 1968 Lamborghini Miura P400.
Other notable sales included $556,000 for a 1974 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 3-liter; $137,000 for a 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280SL with ZF 5-speed; and $44,650 for a 1972 Ford Capri RS2600 Group 2 rally car. Those three models have been rapidly appreciating the past several years, and the prices achieved at the Spa Classic put that movement in sharp relief.
- 1964 Ferrari 275 GTB Berlinetta sold for $1,200,000
- 1968 Lamborghini Miura P400 Coupe sold for $743,992
- 1974 Porsche 911 RS 3.0 Coupe sold for $565,434
- 1968 Ferrari 330 GTC Berlinetta sold for $371,996
- 1973 Porsche 911 Carrera RS 2.7 Coupe sold for $235,101
- 1935 Fiat 508S Balilla Spider sold for $223,197
- 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280SL Convertible sold for $136,894
- 1968 Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 Berlinetta sold for $129,454
- 1952 Mercedes-Benz 300 Cabriolet sold for $120,526
- 1958 Jaguar XK150 SE Roadster sold for $119,038
Bonhams’ next sale will be held June 2 in Greenwich, Conn., with the star consignment being a 1930 Bugatti Type 43. Bonhams’ next European sale is scheduled for June 15 in Oxford, held in conjunction with the VMCC’s Bambury Run.