Of the three Retromobile auctions in Paris this year, Artcurial's was by far the biggest…
Auction Recap: Bonhams’ 2015 Paris Sale
Bonhams conducted yet another successful sale at Retromobile this year with $25,094,024 in total sales, almost $6 million more than last year. The sell-through rate came in at 64% and the average sale price in this auction of over 100 cars was $176,718. Bonhams has featured cars from the Maranello Rosso Collection at several of its recent auctions, and for Paris they brought out a number of great Abarths, including a 1000 Bialbero long nose coupe that brought €161,000 ($183,668) and a Simca 1300 GT that brought €128,800 ($146,935).
Bonhams was the only auction house in Retromobile this year not to have a Ferrari as its top sale. The top two spots were actually taken by open-top David Brown-era Aston Martins, a 1965 DB5 Convertible at €1,897,500 ($2,163,671) and a 1962 DB4 Convertible at €1,219,000 ($1,389,995). An ex-Amschel Rothschild 289 Cobra also sold for €937,250 ($1,068,722) and a beautiful London to Brighton-eligible 1904 Panhard & Levassor 35 HP sold for €747,500 ($852,355). The last three spots in the top ten were all taken by Ferraris, including a once-wrecked F40 that went for the rather low price of €724,500 ($826,129).
Other notable sales included a Porsche 914/6 that fetched €74,750 ($85,274), showing just how strong the Porsche market is. And though it wasn’t exactly a car, a go kart once raced by Ayrton Senna received a ton of attention in Paris and brought €57,500 ($65,596).
- 1965 Aston Martin DB5 Convertible sold for €1,897,500 ($2,163,671)
- 1962 Aston Martin DB4 Convertible sold for €1,219,000 ($1,389,995)
- 1930 Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 Grand Sport sold for €1,184,500 ($1,350,655)
- 1966 AC Cobra 289 sold for €937,250 ($1,068,722)
- 1930 Isotta Fraschini 8A SS Cabriolet sold for €931,500 ($1,062,166)
- 1960 Maserati 3500 GT Spider sold for €793,500 ($904,808)
- 1904 Panhard-Levassor Four-cylinder 35hp Sports Two-Seater sold for €747,500 ($852,355)
- 1990 Ferrari F40 sold for €724,500 ($826,129)
- 1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Spider Conversion sold for €649,750 ($740,893)
- 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe sold for €552,000 ($629,431)
Bonhams’ next classic car auction will be at Amelia Island on March 12, 2015.