Barrett-Jackson closed on yet another successful event at Palm Beach, Fla. From April 11-13, 2014,…
Auction Results: Barrett-Jackson’s 2013 West Palm Beach sale
Barrett-Jackson returned to West Palm Beach, Fla., this past weekend for the 11th time. The three-day sale was far stronger than the company’s 2012 and 2011 efforts, and more on par with 2010 results. In all, 425 automotive lots sold for a total of $20.8M, which bettered last year by $3.0M despite having 10 fewer lots.
Top seller for the auction was the first production 2014 Chevrolet Corvette convertible, which sold for $1,000,000, with proceeds benefitting the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute. The second slot went to George W. Bush’s former 2009 Ford F-150 King Ranch, with proceeds benefitting the National Guard Youth Foundation. The truck sold for $350,000, which was $50,000 more than it tallied for charity three months ago. The $350,000 F-150 wasn’t the only truck to top $100,000. A custom 1941 Ford F1 sold for $137,500 and a 1957 Chevy 3100 hot rod traded for $110,000, including buyer’s premium.
South Florida auctions typically have lots of late-model exotics and custom cars, and Barrett-Jackson’s West Palm sale certainly fits that profile. But like any B-J sale, American muscle was fully represented this year as well. Apart from the four muscle cars in that made the top 10, a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 with JL8 brakes made $137,500, continuing a tear for first gen Zs. A 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 396/350 coupe traded for a strong $85,800, and a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Hemi coupe sold for $121,000. Other interesting sales include a 1949 Cadillac Series 61 club coupe that earned $66,000, an original 1968 Mercedes-Benz 250SL that tallied $29,700, and a 1958 DeSoto Firedome hardtop that landed $46,200.
- 2014 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible sold for $1,000,000*
- 2009 Ford F-150 King Ranch Super Crew Pickup sold for $350,000*
- 1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible sold for $330,000
- 1970 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 W-30 Convertible sold for $275,000
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle SS 454/450 LS6 Convertible sold for $258,500
- 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback sold for $209,000
- 2006 Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster sold for $181,500
- 2011 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hardtop sold for $175,000*
- 2011 Bentley Continental GTC Convertible sold for $168,300
- 2007 Ferrari 430 Spider sold for $167,200
Barrett-Jackson’s next sale is the company’s first in Reno, Nev., scheduled for Aug. 8-10, 2013.
*All or a portion of the proceeds of this sale were for the benefit of charity.
Brian Rabold is editor of Hagerty Price Guide