Bonhams conducted its sixth annual Greenwich, Conn., auction this past weekend, June 2, 2013. The…
Auction Results: Bonhams 2013 Retromobile Sale
Bonhams’ annual Paris sale has become one of the company’s standout European events, and provides a bright spot for wintertime market watchers. Held alongside Retromobile festivities, the auction has showcased some significant motor cars in recent years, and the Feb. 7, 2013 sale was no exception. In all, $15.8M in vehicles traded hands, including a large selection of motorcycles. More than 70% of the consigned lots changed owners, which was far improved compared to the company’s three previous French sales. The sale total was also significantly higher.
The auction’s top seller was a matching-numbers 1929 Bentley 6½-Litre Speed Six Tourer, which sold for $1,120,025, including buyer’s premium. A 1963 Aston Martin DB4 SV Vantage convertible, left-hand-drive and finished in platinum over red, also topped one million dollars with a final price of $1,088,913. Ettore Bugatti’s own (highly original) 1938 Type 57C Special coupe rounded out the top three at $933,354.
Several other sales were noteworthy. A 1973 Ferrari Dino 246 GT sold for $334,452, which could have purchased two excellent GTS models only two years ago. An incredibly strong $104,225 was paid for a 1975 Porsche 911 SC Carrera coupe, which could have purchased a nice short-wheelbase 911 S a year ago. Lastly, the buzz-worthy 1929 American Moth biplane that was featured in the film Out of Africa sold for $272,228.
- 1929 Bentley 6½-Litre Speed Six Tourer sold for $1,120,025
- 1963 Aston Martin DB4 SV Vantage Convertible sold for $1,088,913
- 1938 Bugatti Type 57C Special Coupe sold for $933,354
- 1938 Mercedes-Benz 540K Cabriolet sold for $910,020
- 1938 Lancia Astura SIV Cabriolet sold for $902,242
- 1953 Bentley R-Type Continental Fastback sold for $777,795
- 1966 Porsche Type 906 Carrera Coupe sold for $731,127
- 1931 Bentley Sports Tourer sold for $653,348
- 1939 Horch 853A Cabriolet sold for $513,345
- 1950 Talbot-Lago Record T26 Grand Sport Cabriolet sold for $388,898
1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Playboy Roadster sold for $388,898
1929 Minerva Type AK Faux Cabriolet sold for $388,898
Bonhams’ next automotive event will be in Boca Raton, Fla., on Feb. 23, 2013. The company’s next European sale is scheduled for March 2, 2013, in Oxford.