Auction Results: Mecum’s 2013 Indianapolis sale
Mecum’s annual flagship auction in Indianapolis took place this past week, May 14-19, 2013. From a sales standpoint, results were consistent with last year, as $45.0M were tallied in preliminary results, which will likely grow a bit in the wake of significant post-block sales activity. In 2012 the event totaled $49.9M, and 2011’s sale ended with a $48.7M final figure. Attendance was terrific, enthusiasm among consignors was high, and overall prices achieved were strong.
The 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake, one of one built to such specifications by the factory, earned top honors, selling for $1.378M, including buyer’s premium. A similar celebrity car, the 1967 Eleanor fastback coupe that Nicolas Cage famously drove in the “Gone in 60 Seconds” remake sold for $1.06M. Exceptionally strong money traded hands for a rare and restored 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/400 convertible ($646,000), and a 1965 Comet A/FX set a record for a Mercury Comet at auction with a final price of $434,600. A 1987 Buick GNX also sold for an impressive $113,950.
As is the case when 1,754 vehicles are assembled for sale in one location, plenty of affordable cars were available too. On the lower end of the spectrum, a 1964 Chrysler 300K convertible was well bought for $12,720, a restored 1980 Mercedes-Benz 450SL sold for $6,500, and an up-and-coming 1974 Jaguar XJ-12L sedan garnered $3,550.
- 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake Fastback Coupe sold for $1,378,000
- 1967 Ford Mustang “Gone in 60 Seconds” Eleanor Fastback Coupe sold for $1,060,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/400 Convertible sold for $646,600
- 1965 Mercury Comet 427 A/FX Coupe sold for $434,600
- 1965 Shelby Cobra Roadster CSX7049 sold for $339,200
- 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback sold for $270,300
- 1953 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster sold for $265,000
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette 327/340 Coupe sold for $254,400
- 1957 Ford Thunderbird Phase I D/F Convertible sold for $243,800
- 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback sold for $238,500
Next up for Mecum is its June 29, 2013, Corvette sale in St. Charles, Ill. Held alongside Bloomington Gold festivities, more than a hundred Corvettes of all years will be offered.