Auction Recap: Bonhams Goodwood 2015
Bonhams concluded its annual sale held in conjunction with the Goodwood Festival of Speed on June 26 with $25,947,363 in total sales. Of the 87 lots on offer, 67 sold, making for a sell-through rate of 77 percent and an average price of $387,274. Five cars brought seven figure prices. Numbers are down almost across the board compared to last year, when the sale achieved $37,973,987 in total sales, an average sale price of $690,436 and a total of eight seven-figure sales out of a total of 89 lots on offer. Much of that difference, however, was made up by the 1954 Ferrari 375 Plus last year that sold for more than $18 million. This year’s auction didn’t feature any cars of that caliber.
Four of the top 10 sales at Goodwood were Astons, with top spot going to a 1935 Ulster that was a works racing car for $4,578,122, a new auction record for a prewar Aston. Second highest went to the Porsche RS-61 Spyder owned (but not raced in period) by Sir Stirling Moss for $2,994,203. Third highest went to the 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR, an even rarer and more exotic roadster version of Mercedes’ 1990s hypercar, for $2,378,235.
Two other huge prices in the top 10 included British artist Richard Hamilton’s right-hand drive 1973 Porsche 911S for an astounding $618,325, and a 1988 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante for a hardly believable $481,052. Though immaculate, low miles and equipped with a 5-speed, it still brought a shocking price.
With a high-profile sale like Goodwood, nothing really flies under the radar as far as price goes, but some interesting buys at the other end of the price spectrum included a two-owner 1968 Lotus Elan S3 with 20,0000 miles for $41,562 and a 1959 Fiat-Abarth 700 Bialbero Record Monza for $63,246.
- 1935 Aston Martin Ulster sold for $4,578,122
- 1961 Porsche RS-61 Spyder sold for $2,994,203
- 1998 Mercedes-Benz CLK GTR Roadster sold for $2,378,235
- 1963 Aston Martin DB4 Convertible sold for $1,515,879
- 2004 Ferrari Enzo sold for $1,410,284
- 1964 AstonMartin DB5 sold for $847,113
- 1973 Porsche 911S Coupe sold for $618,325
- 1954 Jaguar XK120 Competition Roadster sold for $574,327
- 1911 Isotta-Fraschini Tipo PM Roadster sold for $547,929
- 1988 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Volante sold for $481,052
Bonhams’ next collector car auction will be the Quail Lodge sale on Aug. 14, 2015, in California.