“Shelby vs. GM” will join “Vintage Off-road” and “Right Coast Rods.”
Greenwich Concours d’Elegance canceled for 2020
The Greenwich Concours d’Elegance will have to wait until its 26th year to celebrate its 25th anniversary. Connecticut’s annual celebration of automotive excellence has been canceled for 2020, due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus. The event had been scheduled for May 30–31 at Roger Sherman Baldwin Park.
“We all love cars and the Greenwich Concours d’Elegance, which is a highlight of the year for thousands of car fans across the region and nation,” says McKeel Hagerty, chairman of the event. “But what matters most is the safety and well-being of our friends, families, and loved ones.”
Hagerty, whose company acquired the event last year and was preparing for its first go-around in May, says the Greenwich Concours d’Elegance will return in 2021 “with exciting classes and features.” In the meantime, once public health officials agree that it is safe to congregate again, Hagerty plans to “host local car events to engage and energize car and driving fans and whet their appetite for next year’s show.”
Sponsors, local officials, car owners, and vendors have been notified of the cancellation.
“I think everyone understands this is the wisest course of action,” says Mary Wennerstrom, executive director of the Concours and daughter of its founders, Bruce and Genia Wennerstrom. “They’re all disappointed, of course, as are we, because the Greenwich Concours is such a staple on the local event scene. But we’ll pour our energies into making the 2021 event the best ever.”
Showgoers who have purchased tickets will receive a full refund through Showclix.com within 7–10 business days.
The Greenwich Concours’ longtime charity partners, Americares and the Hometown Foundation, will not be forgotten. Hagerty is working to identify ways to raise money to fill the gap created by the event’s cancelation. For information, visit www.greenwichconcours.com.