1937 Cord 812
This Cord is from the private collection of Mr. and Mrs. Clarence Stanbury of Bath, New York. Donated by their daughter and son-in-law John and Jeannette Collins and Museum Acquisition Fund. 1937 was the last production year for the Auburn Automobile Company. Production of the Auburn had stopped in 1936, with the Cord seen as the last hope to keep business alive. The Cord automobile was re-named the 812 and new offerings included the option of supercharging and custom bodies for more head and leg room. The company also honored the request of individuals who desired custom modifications on their Cord. One such modification was the dual side-mounted spare tires, rather than the standard placement inside the trunk. This allowed for extra trunk space and mounting space for side view mirrors. The tire placement and modification of the pontoon fenders was likely done after the Cord was constructed. Only two Cord automobiles were built with the dual side-mounts, and both exist today.
4 speed, vacuum-electric