1940 GM Futurliner
GM launched the Parade of Progress in 1936 to promote the scientific and technological achievements of America as part of a traveling educational show. The Parade of Progress featured three distinct “tours” from 1936 to 1956. When the Parade first set out in 1936, it featured eight specialty built “Streamliners” used as transport trucks and display stages for the exhibits. The Parade traversed the U.S. and visited Cuba, Mexico and Canada. In 1940, GM refreshed the Parade for one tour before WWII. This included the construction of twelve new “Futurliners” to replace the Streamliners. GM debuted the Futurliners on the second tour of the Parade of Progress in Miami, Florida in February ‘41. After the war, GM re-styled the Futurliners and the show was resumed in ‘53. When it came to a close in ‘56, the Futurliners were sold off. Joseph Bortz donated Futurliner No. 10 to the National Automotive and Truck Museum in ‘92. It was restored by volunteers in the 2000s. NHVR No. 6 HAER No. IN-114
Paint and exterior
This vehicle is in restored condition. It was repainted in the 2000s when it was fully restored by volunteers led by Donald Mayton of Beaverdam, MI.
Upholstery and Interior
This vehicle’s interior is in restored condition. It features green leatherette seats. It was reupholstered in the 2000s when it was fully restored by volunteers led by Donald Mayton of Beaverdam, MI.
Original Engine: Yes
GMC liquid-cooled, OHV 301.6 cid (4942.3 ccd) inline 6-cyl., 145 hp. gasoline engine. It has a 2-bbl Holley downdraft carburetor.
Wheels and tires
20" dually steel wheels, 8 custom-made 10.00 x 20 bias-ply tire
Four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes
Four-speed General Motors Hydra-Matic automatic transmission with two-speed reduction unit.