12 April 2017

Dodge Demon debuts with 840 hp, already banned by NHRA

Dodge set the muscle-car world on its ear three years ago with the 707-hp Challenger and Charger Hellcat. But those cars are tame kittens compared with the new Challenger SRT Demon (its official name), which debuted with great fanfare last night at a party on Manhattan’s west side.

“We have a duty to unleash Demon,” boasted Dodge’s Tim Kuniskis during the unveiling, when the angry red Demon broke out of a crate and burned rubber down the concrete floor of Pier 94 on the Hudson River. “To go all out, to literally leave our mark on the streets and strips of America in the most technologically advanced, street-legal, production drag car ever.”

The Demon’s list of performance bragging points is like none we’ve ever seen for a street-driving car. Here are just a few highlights:

• Fastest quarter-mile production car in the world, with an elapsed time of 9.65 seconds @ 140 mph
  • World’s fastest 0-60-mph time for a production car, 2.3 seconds
  • Highest-horsepower V-8 production engine, 840 hp
  • Highest g-force acceleration of any production car, 1.8 g
  • First-ever production car to lift its front wheels at launch, setting a world record wheelie at 2.92 feet, as certified by Guinness World Records
  • The Demon is officially banned by the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) for being too fast to run at a drag strip without a cage

Clearly, Dodge set out to make not just headlines but history here. And Hagerty makes some history of its own: Dodge has appointed Hagerty as the official insurer for the Demon, the first time Hagerty has established such an association for a brand-new production car.

Dodge engineers essentially transformed the Challenger coupe into a street-legal dragster and the most powerful muscle car ever made. Although the Demon is street-legal, everything about it, from the weight savings achieved by jettisoning all but the driver’s seat (you can add passenger and rear seats back for a dollar each); to the street-legal 18-inch Nitto drag radials; to the ability to run on 100+ unleaded high-octane gasoline; to the TransBrake lock for the output shaft of the 8-speed automatic transmission; to Drag Mode suspension tuning and launch assist; and numerous other engineering modifications is designed for the dragstrip. Make no mistake, this car was invented with one main mission in life: to smoke the quarter-mile. (And rubber.)

The Demon’s new version of the Hemi 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 produces 840 hp and 770 lb-ft of torque. Compared with the Hellcat’s 707-hp Hemi, the Demon Hemi gets 50 percent new componentry and has a larger supercharger (2.7 liters vs. 2.4 liters); increased boost pressure (14.5 psi vs. 11.6, all of it available within six feet of the starting line); two dual-stage fuel pumps rather than one; a 6500-rpm rev limit versus 6200 rpm; and a larger induction box that sucks in air from three sources: the Air-Grabber hood; the driver-side Air-Catcher headlamp; and an inlet near the wheel liner. Combined air-flow rate is 1150 cubic feet per minute, some 18 percent more than in the Hellcat. Dodge boasts that the Air-Grabber hood is the largest functional hood scoop in the industry, at 45.2 square inches.

SRT also developed a Power Chiller, another production-car first, which diverts air-conditioning refrigerant from the SRT Demon’s interior to help get the SRT Demon ready for the next drag run as quickly as possible. Charge air coolant, after being cooled by ambient air passing through a low-temperature radiator at the front of the vehicle, flows through the chiller unit, where it is further cooled. The chilled coolant then flows to the heat exchangers in the supercharger. Drivers can monitor supercharger coolant temperature, plus various other drag-specific performance metrics, via “Performance Pages” in the UConnect display screen on the dash. No word whether the Performance Pages include a driver-talent measurement mechanism.

Demon production begins this summer and is limited to the 2018 model year and only 3000 cars for the United States and 300 for Canada. Buyers receive a full day of instruction at the Bob Bondurant School of High-Performance Driving in Arizona. Pricing will be announced this summer.

joseph prusko new jersey April 12, 2017 at 16:39
    About time from a 70 year old mopar kid.
    Bill Sterling ON April 12, 2017 at 16:58
    Great for the quarter mile and oh boy, on the highway it will pass everything but a gas station.
    Russ Colorado April 12, 2017 at 17:43
    Already banned by NHRA? That's why I'm no fan of the NHRA!
    HarVanti2 Canton, MI April 12, 2017 at 18:03
    WOWZIE ! I want one so that I can beat my friend's lime green Hellcat !
    Jim Crabtree CA April 12, 2017 at 18:24
    I am sorry but a vehicle like this has no business being street legal. It is an accident waiting to happen and Fiat-Chrysler should be held 100% responsible for any accidents that happen. Vehicles like this are NOT safe and are inappropriate in any traffic public road environment
    John C Cargill Hanover Park April 12, 2017 at 19:05
    The only word for it in my opinion is WOW! I remember when those were pro stock times.
    Bob Gehricke Moorpark, CA. April 12, 2017 at 19:06
    Want one
    Mike AuClair Tucson AZ April 12, 2017 at 19:28
    The little girls that run the NHRA do not think a street legal production car should be allowed on their little drag strips! Come on!!!
    Jack McLeod Boyne city Mi April 12, 2017 at 20:00
    Is there a place to plug in my pace maker?
    Gary Sylvester Daytona BH Fl April 12, 2017 at 20:32
    I WANT ONE!
    Jim McElroy Ann Arbor, MI April 12, 2017 at 20:51
    Those maniacs at Dodge have nailed it again!
    Jeff Goldman South Fla. April 12, 2017 at 22:05
    Another usless hunk of metal
    Rogerj Atlanta April 13, 2017 at 13:41
    Another reason I now drive a Jaguar
    Joe McCloskey Florida April 13, 2017 at 13:46
    I love the testicular fortitude of Dodge to make this
    CaptRon ARIZONA April 13, 2017 at 13:57
    Ya, they should have named it FASTEST MOTHERF##KER ON THE STREET, but I don't want one, I want TWO.
    Mark Baltimore April 13, 2017 at 14:08
    Sometimes more just isn't better. Having driven a ton of quick cars, some fast cars, and the normal amount of normal cars, I'm of the opinion that somewhere around 5-6 seconds to 60 is the sweet spot for fun. Faster than that and the teeth-grinding quotient begins to outpoint the smiles per mile. Visions of kids jumping out from between cars or trees appearing seemingly out of nowhere begin to cloud your fun. You can't stop as quickly as you can go, and that's a problem for any thinking person.
    Jeff KC MO April 13, 2017 at 15:00
    Will all these records be broken by the new Chevy Camaro Exorcist that houses 1000hp
    Steve ON - Ontario April 13, 2017 at 16:27
    Re: to Jim Crabtree's response, I assume you think guns don't kill people either but people do? The car will only get into an accident by driver error not by itself. Your an idiot.
    BigKahuna13 Raceway Park, ETown April 13, 2017 at 16:48
    Ridiculous awesome car. Plus this will help drive Hellcat prices down! For those complaining about the NHRA, are you clueless? It's a safety thing. Below a certain ET you need a cage. Period. BTW this is AWESOME press for the Demon. A car so badass that it's BANNED? No biggie, it needs a cage or eventually the NHRA will re-write the rulebook but either way that's fantastic PR for them. Oh yeah, to Jim Crabtree...really? How old are you?
    Gary Hooper Toronto April 13, 2017 at 19:05
    I am from the days of 426 hemi Road Runners, Cuda's and the GM and Ford straight line performance offerings of the day. Exciting to see a new age of these cars being made. Only question I have is Hagerty is the headline insuring company for this beast, yet they won't insure my Toyota Supra ??
    Louis Renzo ON April 13, 2017 at 07:14
    To say the Demon has been banned by NHRA is ridiculous! NHRA has a class for every type of vehicle made. If the car needs NHRA approved safety equipment to be able to legally run then say that! Don't dramatize it with a stupid statement like "it's been banned!" This is one time where the messenger should indeed be shot!
    Art Livonia, Mi. April 13, 2017 at 19:16
    To Allan in BC Canada: First It was called a Valiant Duster in 1970 by Plymouth then a Duster in 71. The Demon was Dodges version of the Duster because they wanted a piece of the great sales. Sales went to down due to emission laws and lower horse power in 1972. Hellcat and Demon! I get the connection. Great job Dodge!!!
    Jim Ont., Canada April 13, 2017 at 19:17
    It's nice to see Dodge is staying competitive. But I have to agree that a roll cage should have been set into the framework. Geeze, a little faster and NHRA would want a chute attached. Driver safety is a must. Just remember some of the accidents we have all seen at the top end of the strip.
    Karl NJ April 13, 2017 at 08:53
    I see reading comprehension is a challenge in this group..."The Demon is officially banned by the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) for being too fast to run at a drag strip without a cage" The NHRA makes these rules to protect the racers in case of a vehicle upset. (IE roll). As far as street legal goes - if you can afford it - bring it on!
    Boris Rosemont Ontario April 13, 2017 at 09:04
    Wow Hellcat owners will be p*ssed!
    Marc Faucher Cheshire,Ma April 13, 2017 at 21:05
    It probably just needs a roll cage to be legal. What's the big deal?
    Scott MI April 13, 2017 at 09:16
    I think this is a beautiful work of engineering. This si the sweets car out there for the pony car wars. I congratulate Dodge for bring it to the market. You should have an accessory roll cage for to meet NHRA requirements. BAD to the BONE. I want one.
    jim eberhardt haverstraw ny April 13, 2017 at 09:44
    Well done!!! From a life long Chevy guy!
    buddy Arizona April 13, 2017 at 10:03
    love it wish i could get one in red ,however no trunk space hehe
    Kirk D Alexander Arizona April 13, 2017 at 10:14
    Is this a great country or what !!!!
    Steve MN April 13, 2017 at 10:39
    With such a bold headline, you would think the article would include comment from NHRA. Could you explain why it's banned, other than it needs a cage? What could be done if someone wanted to put it on the track? What other comment does NHRA have about the car? Surely they have some thoughts on it??
    Al Wing Minnesota April 13, 2017 at 10:50
    I never liked the Dodge family of cars. I am a GM man and have been all of my life. I am positive that Dodge does build a good car however.
    Bob Kingman, Arizona April 13, 2017 at 11:44
    I own a 2016 Hellcat , it is far better in every respect than any of the late model Corvettes we have owned in the recent past . Safer, bigger, better for us it is the perfect blend of comfort, performance, safety and has great trunk space for hauling luggage on long trips. The new Challenger Demon is a technical marvel and a great addition to American high performance cars being built today .
    Ted Portland, OR April 13, 2017 at 23:45
    Zingers! Hot Gollies and All that other bad language! Time to celebrate !! I miss those times when I ran Impalas, Furys, and Ford 429's off the street with my 3/4 Olds-powered Kaiser. I'm through driving a dinky Nissan. I'm gonna cash in some of my 401k, buy a Demon and get back on the street again. yeehaw!!!
    mike long beach, ms April 13, 2017 at 23:49
    Some of you commenters might want to take it easy on the NHRA. They require roll cages for ALL street legal cars that run 9.99 or less in the quarter. They just recently amended their roll cage requirements, allowing cars running slower than 9.99 to forgo roll cages if they are 2008 models or later. This means cars like the reasonably stock Corvette ZR1s, for example, can now run quarters without having to install a cage.
    Forker Texas April 13, 2017 at 12:13
    10 minutes ago I was happy with my Hellcat, now I want a Demon! Will the madness ever end...I hope not!
    Robert Mitchell Fallbrook, CA April 13, 2017 at 12:16
    The flaired fenders are very 1970's. Home run for Dodge!
    Bob Brack OH April 13, 2017 at 12:29
    I'd buy one if it wasn't a FCA vehicle. I like quality automobiles.
    Allan BC Canada April 13, 2017 at 00:32
    They should have come up with better name. It reminds me of the Dodge Duster they called a demon and then their Sales went to hell.
    Richard White Oregon April 13, 2017 at 12:46
    I would sure like to try one out on the Drag Strip!. as being the org. owner of a 70 cuda 440-6 w/drag pack
    George B Richmond Va. April 14, 2017 at 16:58
    Now that is a muscle car with 840hp. I thought 425 advertised hp in 1970 was a lot when I ordered my new Hemi Cuda.
    John Davison Rushden, England April 14, 2017 at 07:03
    What an absolute delight. Those Dodge boys have done it again!!!. Very handy for popping to the shops. Still rather have my '69 440 Roader, though.
    Dave Columbia,SC April 14, 2017 at 21:47
    Congrats to those Dodge boys. Being a lifelong Mopar nut, Dodge is the only car builder with enough testosterone to keep the drag racing days from the 70's still going by building beasts like the demon and hellcat. Just tuned my 392 66 charger tonight and as I work on my muscle car, memories always come back when I turn the key of the good old days in my other Molars. Too bad their so damn expensive. Keep it going Dodge, I'll find a used one in about 5 years.
    Woody Nj April 14, 2017 at 21:51
    I agree that the nhra comments are being hyped too much. For the drivers safety they require equipment like cages and harnesses. I think it's a negative on FC for not building that equipment into the car. Come on guys you know how some of these will be used. Don't sell loaded weapon with no safety. Also to toss in another .02 they also need to be spending money on real family cars. Someday there will be a other gas crunch and they will be stuck again without competitive cArs Us taxpayers have bailed them out twice so far. Not this time, let Italy take it in the shorts
    Jim PA April 14, 2017 at 21:53
    Bob from Kingman: comparing a Demon to a Corvette is just stupid. A Corvette is designed to go around CORNERS. A Demon won't do anything but go in a (God awful fast) straight line.
    TG New York April 14, 2017 at 11:01
    seriously another muscle car for the rich and famous how about you build one that the regular person can afford and actually sell them to the people that keep your business running.
    Louis Renzo ON April 14, 2017 at 11:05
    Allen. You've been watching too many episodes of "Married With Children" Al Bundy always referred to his car as a Dodge Duster. There is no Dodge Duster. Plymouth made the Duster and when Dodge was forced to drop the Demon name after 1972 because the holy rollers protested, it was renamed the Dart Sport.
    Rick Leesburg, va April 14, 2017 at 12:14
    I drive a supercharged 1000 hp 2006 GTO. I hope to see a demon on the street one day
    Georges East of the Detroit River April 15, 2017 at 17:00
    I must be getting old!? I'd take an early 70s Feather Duster first. (Small six, 3 spd manual and, the biggest Fuel Miser gauge I've ever seen.)
    Dave upstate ny April 16, 2017 at 13:43
    Just before being discharged from the Navy I ordered a '66 Comet Cyclone GT, 390ci, 335hp. In '69 an AMX also with 390. Both 4 speeds. What fun I would have, even at my age, with a Dodge Demon! But I doubt that selling both my classic Chevy trucks would be enough to pay for one.
    John San Rafael, CA April 17, 2017 at 15:21
    Trump's election must have had something to do with this. God bless American muscle!
    richie stoike NY April 18, 2017 at 13:35
    still driving my 1970 roadrunner original owner, elmhurst new york
    David Hollywood, CA April 18, 2017 at 17:44
    Having owned tuned Chrysler 440ci cross-rams (470 hp, 550 lb-ft of torque) and tuned Fords 351ci (425 hp, 490 lb-ft of torque) all that'll scare the s**t out of most people, and also as a Porsche, Jag, 240Z, ALFA sportscar (give me the curves enthusiast, I can say that this is the heyday of American auto technology. It doesn't take much to turn the Demon into a Mulholland Dr. monster.
    David Hollywood, CA April 19, 2017 at 22:49
    Richie stoike, kudos to you! Tell us more about your 'Beep beep"?
    John Edyvean South Australia, Auatralia May 13, 2017 at 07:50
    What a weapon this would be. Fastest thing I ever drove was a Mk 11 Austin Healy Sprite with a Valiant/Dodge slant six w/- Ramcharger style auto (e/t 12 @120mph) We built it in the late '60's. It would be pretty simple to add 'handling options' to a Demon - uprated 6? piston brakes,thick anti - rollbars, Watts linkage or Panhard rod, premium tyres on wider rims.so it would be magic to drive in a straight line and then brake and corner to leave everything wondering 'what the f....' was that. Their next step would be to go and buy one and go frighten the pants off Jaguars, Ferraris, Vipers, Corvettes etc. Cheers. John.
    Roger Wright Bella Vista, AR May 20, 2017 at 11:21
    I have a 2014 Challenger R/T and love it, I wish I had the money to buy a Demon. Just because you have a fast street car doesn't mean you're going to crash it. People make the decision on how they drive not Dodge. Some of these comments are funny.
    Johnny Fotsch Laguna Beach June 20, 2017 at 21:53
    Dodge has established a new baseline. This beast will set the pace for the coming generations. Those that are fortunate enough to obtain one of these Super Cars will experience what our older siblings did in the late 60's and early 70's. Just Faster!!! Don't wait. Get into your Dodge Dealer tomorrow and see if you get lucky and get on the list...
    James Baldwin Medford, Oregon July 1, 2017 at 18:19
    Lithia Chrysler Jeep Dodge in Medford is getting allotted a few. Shoot me an email and I'll get you on the list.
    Danny Tuel Ripley, Ohio July 5, 2017 at 19:07
    Thought the Cross Ram Mopars were 413's and 426 Wedge. Never knew they made them in a 440 ? As for the naysayers. Get a life, Have some fun. And if you don't want to let the rest of us do it :-)
    charlie johnson Wisconsin August 2, 2017 at 21:33
    Dodge needs to cage the car... Before releasing it. What good is a race car that you can't race??...