12 April 2017

Holley carburetor rebuild time lapse

Carburetor rebuilds are obviously easier than engine rebuilds. Just consider the time involved: three minutes rather than five. What? We are, of course, talking about Redline Rebuild time lapses. In this go round, Davin Reckow rebuilds a Holley 4346, which can be found on Camaros, Chevelles, and Novas equipped with a 396-cid V-8 L78. This four-barrel helps the engine produce 375 hp and is a 780 cfm dual-vacuum-secondary carb, for those keeping score at home.

David L. Schutzer Valrico FL April 12, 2017 at 19:17
    Sloppy job. Never blew out passages with air. Carb looks dirty after being in dirty cleaner. I'd give him a courtesy grade of "D" for that job.
    McKeel Idaho April 12, 2017 at 19:51
    Dude needs gloves, gonna get cancer.
    Ron S Martinez, CA April 12, 2017 at 21:08
    DANG! That one had not been "apart" in a long while...
    J. K. Salser Garland, TX April 12, 2017 at 21:10
    The "ease of rebuilding carburetors" is often over-played. The fact of the matter is that many people who attempt carburetor rebuilds want to cut corners. I watched one video which features an "express rebuild". Viewer beware--because anyone following that video's advice is going to have to remove the carburetor from the engine, shortly, and do a real cleaning and rebuild. Easy is but a comparative term--compared with something more difficult. Since the engine's performance depends upon the functions of the carburetor, I encourage every would-be rebuilder to do his homework--then to do a thorough cleaning and rebuild. jk
    B.Hoffing Dallas,Georgia April 12, 2017 at 21:46
    Holy Moly, now that is why I would never try to rebuild any carb. Way too much for me.
    ed fl April 13, 2017 at 02:09
    I have rebuilt hundreds of Holley's and have never found one yet that the mounting flange on the main body for the metering block,s was not warped and had to fix with a file, I have junked a lot of Holley's before I found this problem, because I could not get them to work right, Check for flatness and you will have no problems
    Richard Chelan Falls WA April 13, 2017 at 15:37
    Solvent soaks into the skin on your hands and goes straight to your liver. Nitrile gloves are cheaper than a liver. I miss the days when you could buy a large container of carburetor cleaner that actually WORKED just by soaking. I have also found that the coating on the inside of the jets is invisible. Using welding tip cleaners to gently ream the jets is a good practice.
    Mike FL April 13, 2017 at 16:08
    Routinely removing throttle (or choke) plates is never recommended during a rebuild unless there is an issue. Correctly re-centering and re-staking is difficult and usually unnecessary. Worn out base plates with sloppy throttle shafts leak vacuum and should be replaced with a donor.
    R. Mapes Helvetia, OR April 13, 2017 at 17:39
    Now do one on the classic English carb; the SU. Only slow it down just a bit for us slow learners!
    Warren J Barber Texas April 13, 2017 at 09:42
    I've rebuilt many carbs and I think he did a fine job. First gloves are not needed if you clean with water afterwords like he did. Also blowing out the passageways with compressed air does not get the carb cleaner gunk out. Carb or brake cleaner does just like he used. As for base plate warpage, it's cause from people putting more then one gasket between the carb and intake. If one gasket is used then no warpage.
    Ken Sousa Lincoln, CA April 13, 2017 at 11:34
    What I found amazing is that GM used a Holley square bore carb on their performance engines and not the dreadful QuadraJet that dragged down my own 427 L36 '69 Corvette.
    richard WA April 13, 2017 at 12:14
    I agree with ed, they are almost always warped. The first thing I noticed as did Mr. Schutzer he didn't blow out the passages which makes me wonder why did the carb need to be rebuilt in the first place?
    Gordy Mi April 14, 2017 at 23:21
    There is nothing wrong with a QuadraJet if you set it up right.
    Bob Leesburg April 15, 2017 at 16:22
    Would like to see on engine and how it preformed.
    Bill Bohemia, NY April 17, 2017 at 15:54
    Having a video at lightning speed is a waste of time! Slow it down to actual speed so we can learn something.