15 March 2017

Chrysler Hemi FirePower: Starting our rebuilt engine for the first tme

We left you hanging after our latest Redline Rebuild of this 331 Chrysler Hemi FirePower engine. You wanted to hear its sweet roar after our many months of sweat, frustration and bloody knuckles. The time has come. Take a seat and crank the volume to 11.

And if you never saw the rebuild, now is your chance.

Virginia Harlow Cedar Rapids, Iowa March 15, 2017 at 17:50
    Would it bolt into my 91 Dodge short box or my 01 Dakota? Sounds real nice;-)
    Mike Georgia March 15, 2017 at 18:24
    An A-311 Indy engine with the wrong intake. It needs Hilborn fuel injection.
    William W. Thurber AZ March 15, 2017 at 19:37
    Oh how sweet! A 331 Hemi FirePower running as smooth as can be.
    uwe schmidt cobble hill b.c. Canada March 15, 2017 at 20:11
    that fellow starting up that hemi for the first time is grinning like a mule eating thistles marvellous to see and hear congratulations
    Fred Swanson MI March 15, 2017 at 20:37
    I love the sound of that Hemi, the test stand is awesome.....I have to put one of those on my bucket list!
    Pappabob Northern CA March 15, 2017 at 20:46
    Now, rebuild the Model A engine from the 2016 Swap to Street build using some "go-fast" goodies. Please???
    edward violante arizona March 15, 2017 at 21:10
    I had assumed that he would have run it at approximately 2000 rpms' for the first 20 minutes.H]ave things changed?
    Bill Hester North Carolina March 15, 2017 at 21:17
    Love it guys, sounds great, good job.
    Tony knotts Sr. South Indiana March 15, 2017 at 21:17
    That was fun almost as much fun as the barn finds but not quite!
    jd Esparto, CA March 15, 2017 at 21:18
    My dad had this engine in an orchard sprayer; 30+ years ago I sold it for $500 and bought a larger, newer sprayer. I told myself at the time I'd probably want that engine back some day, now I'm kicking myself for not scrapping the sprayer and keeping the engine.
    Gary Lewis Norco, CA March 15, 2017 at 21:54
    The time lapse video...what a block party.
    Gary Roughley Oklahoma March 15, 2017 at 22:25
    Last summer I had the pleasure of rebuilding a 241 CID hemi for a friend. The engine is in a 47 Dodge pick-up rat rod. It had complete Hot Heads parts 340 oil pump, balancer, pulleys, Chevy water pump Chevy bell housing adapter, 3 duces and other parts. This is the first Mopar I have built, all other engines have been small block Fords. He has put many miles on it. We nicked named it Christine. Can not say enough about Hot Heads they were very helpful in my education about this engine. Good people to work with.
    David P. aka-dtruck Ohio-snow belt March 16, 2017 at 13:10
    Love the sound of a fresh mopar engine on a cold winters day. I got to enjoy that same feeling 2 yrs. ago on a Feb. day that looked just as cold. No better way to think of spring. What are you going to rebuild next? Great Job!
    Andy N Conway NH March 16, 2017 at 06:03
    The great American motor. Sounds awesome, plenty of cam!
    Darryl Z Orlando March 16, 2017 at 20:50
    Wow!
    Ken Lassiter New Brockton, alabama March 16, 2017 at 21:04
    Reminds of days with my dad after he would build a hemi, sometimes for street racing sometimes for family car many sweet notes from those hemis
    Richard H Miller Meridian, Idaho March 16, 2017 at 21:14
    I built a 1952 331 HEMI in 1965 and put it in a 55 Dodge 2 door car I borded it .080 over with Janns 13 to 1 pistons Kinney Harmon K-80 cam Smith Brother ajustable push rods. Grant rings 10 10 Crome Crank It was fun thing to do then as I was only 21 then.
    Eugene Church Michigan March 16, 2017 at 09:16
    Never heard anything so sweet in my life! Fantastic. The smile on the technicians face says it all. Thank you for your article and your entire newsletter. I don't think I look forward to my IRS refund as much as I do your newsletter.
    George Counts Fort Lauderdale, FL March 16, 2017 at 22:29
    My 56 Chevy pwrpk with Corvette valve covers sits low in my 40 Ford Deluxe with the original doughnut motor mounts, a 48 Lincoln Zephyr radiator(no electric fan), long overdrive trany and huge drum brakes. It has the original generator, Carter high rise 4-bbl, oil bath air cleaner, can oil filter and the engine has never been overhauled. What a great sound with the original dual glass packs though I can't find a ceramic cartridge for my gas filter, match the exact orange color of the 56 engine or find a good, steel replacement hood for mine that was rammed. The I-595 Truck Stop employee didn't mean to and neither can find the money to pay for it.
    Grant Brown Ringgold, ga March 16, 2017 at 10:31
    More please. Nice quick review of what all needs/should be done.
    Frank Dauerer California March 16, 2017 at 12:43
    Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.
    RacerBob IA March 17, 2017 at 01:45
    Too bad we didn't get to see it make some REAL power on an engine dyno...the only true way to properly tune it.
    mike arizona March 17, 2017 at 19:20
    Nothing like a MOPAR! I have a 1967 Dodge Coronet 440/383 motor. Also a 1970 *AMC Rebel Machine (*Now an adopted member of MOPAR) I just love the sound of raw American power!
    Bryan Senft Nanaimo, BC CANADA March 17, 2017 at 11:25
    I own a chopped '37 Plymouth 5 window, currently running a 350 Cevy, however last year I bought a '56 330 Desoto engine that had been disassembled, it's missing some parts like the oil pan but the block and heads are in good shape. When I get the time this will be a parts hunt like none other. Apparently Desoto, Chrysler and Dodge all produced their own engines and Desoto was the odd one since it didn't share a true hemispherical shape in the head. Any suggestion where I can get parts?
    JB HAMLIN VA March 18, 2017 at 08:13
    Very Cool! Love anything that isn’t Run of the Mill. How about a challenge? A Pontiac OHC 6 Sprint there have only been a few who have attempted to perform/document building one. Would love to see it done right ;)
    Ian Ridgeway ON March 18, 2017 at 11:07
    Shakespeare nailed it: "the thunderlike percussions of thy sounds". Music.
    Daniel Light Cornwall PA March 23, 2017 at 09:24
    Nothing like a Mopar motor. Would like to see dyno numbers. Been a Mopar fanatic since 13 years old. Guess I will always be one. Going to put it in something?
    droF Novi, Michigan March 28, 2017 at 00:26
    Simply sweet ! Thanks
    carl.swanson coldwater ontario canada March 31, 2017 at 16:33
    memories of running a similar hemi on the garage floor back in 61.cops came and complained!!!!!