21 February 2017

eBay Find of the Week: Foxy Ford Mustang

1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible

The 5.0-liter “Fox Body” Mustang enjoys elevated status while still providing affordable fun for budding car enthusiasts and experienced collectors alike. In the early 1990s, the preferred V-8 powertrain could be had in either GT or LX trim. The GT automatically included the big engine but also carried a lot of extra body cladding that some didn’t like. Besides lighter weight, an LX 5.0 provided a stealthier look with only small side badges and twin exhaust pipes announcing the car’s potential. Additionally, an LX could be purchased as a convertible, notchback or hatchback, recalling the first-gen Mustang.

In 1990, an extremely limited run of Deep Emerald Green over white LX 5.0 Convertibles were designed for a 7UP soda contest. Though the contest was cancelled, someone at Ford decided the color combination looked good enough to put into production. So, Ford authorized a limited run of 5,000 special edition examples. At the time, this understated color combination was also quite unique, as green was just regaining some popularity for cars in North America.

LX 5.0 Convertibles in nice condition equipped with manual transmissions are fairly rare finds. Even more scarce are ones that include, according the seller, “... the original window sticker... all the documentation from delivery when new, Bill of Sale, owner's manual, top instructions, sales brochures, driving instructions, 7UP Literature and more.” This 1990 with just under 17,000 miles could possibly even entice a Camaro fan to start bidding… maybe not?

As of this writing, the reserve remains unmet with a high bid of $12,100.

FRED BRUGNETTI MANCHESTER,CT. February 23, 2017 at 14:25
    I STILL OWN MY 1989 5.0 BLACK 5 SPEED SEDAN I PURCHASED NEW IN JULY 1989,IT HAS 188,OOO MILES.EVEN THOUGH IT NEEDS PAINT AND MOUDINGS COMPARED TO MY V6 TAURUS ITS STILL A ROCKET!
    Kevin Sauk City Wisconsin February 23, 2017 at 16:31
    I have a 1987 Mustang GT with 11,500 miles 1 owner.
    neal atlanta, GA February 23, 2017 at 18:25
    How about the 1993-only Cobra edition, with only 4993 built? It has 40-50 bhp more than the 5.0 motor, and came in an exclusive Teal Blue. Only 800 were built in Teal. I bought one new and it has only 3230 mlles and it's never been driven in the rain.
    Mike Indiana February 24, 2017 at 01:35
    One of these with 16 miles sold at Barrett-Jackson for $82,500
    John Chicago February 24, 2017 at 21:22
    I still shake my head at the 80's.....all this after the so-called oil embargo...I have a 89 GT convertible and wonder why I waited 30 years to get it!!!
    John Virginia February 25, 2017 at 07:40
    I have a 1968 Caprice 396ci Power seats/windows Climate Control. Bought the car 6 years ago with 7,497 documented miles. It now has just under 12,000.
    pam Milford, CT February 28, 2017 at 15:56
    I love my 92 LX 5.0 Calypso Green Metallic Fox Body! 110,000 miles. I have owned it for 19 years!
    Gerard McDermott FL March 14, 2017 at 18:05
    I have a 1993 Triple white Mustang convertible 5.0 5 speed with 80000 miles in like new condition for sale I have a 1993 Triple white convertable