15 February 2017

President Trump's Ferrari heads to auction: Will it fetch a premium?

This should be the biggest Ferrari F430 sale of the year. So big in fact that some might say it’s “yuuuuge.” Although F430s aren’t common, even a cursory online search reveals that they are available, if not cheap. But this example, coincidentally being auctioned on April 1, 2017, by Auctions America at their Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) sale, was purchased and titled new in 2007 by our recently inaugurated 45th president, Donald Trump.

The Auctions America low pre-sale estimate is $250,000, which represents a roughly 30 percent premium over an average Ferrari F430. That expected premium is largely due to Trump’s celebrity and new political status, and to a lesser degree the car’s low mileage.

While the Rosso Corsa (Racing Red) Ferrari was sold to a new owner in 2011, the car will be auctioned along with a copy of its original title including “President Trump’s Trump Tower, New York address and his distinctive, bold signature.” According to Auctions America, “President Trump owned the car for a little over four years during which time the car accrued a little over 2,400 miles.” It currently shows fewer than 6,000 miles and is equipped with a 4.3-liter V-8 and semi-automatic F1 transmission. Besides its relatively low mileage, we wonder if President Trump's ownership justifies the aforementioned premium.

This sale does present both car and presidential history enthusiasts with a unique opportunity to own, enjoy – and hopefully use – a supercar once owned by a president. And it is a unique opportunity as most memorabilia doesn’t have a horsepower rating: “To see a former or current President’s personal vehicle offered for sale is extremely rare.” Furthermore, as befits Trump’s larger-than-life persona, most chiefs of state never owned a car that makes 490 hp.

So we’re curiously watching and wondering if this Ferrari, with its Chief Executive-provenance, will bring that 30 percent premium. Do you think it will?

Sonny Hudson Dallas, Texas February 23, 2017 at 13:18
    If I had that kind of money, I would pay whatever the high bit came out to be! "YUUUUGE”
    Mike Newcastle, WA February 23, 2017 at 13:51
    I bet it will. Not saying I would, even if I had the money to do so.
    Chris Spence TX February 23, 2017 at 13:56
    There are very few Ferraris that I would not want to own. This would be one of them.
    Tom Markman Michigan February 23, 2017 at 14:00
    Suggest he hang on to it. Will be needing a fast get-away in about 30 days!
    mark buckingham, VA February 23, 2017 at 14:35
    who cares!? i hope a tree falls on it.
    Jay NC February 23, 2017 at 14:37
    Some Trump fan will definitely pay a 30% or more premium for this beauty.
    George N.J. February 23, 2017 at 14:40
    It'll blow way past that 250 figure because it was DJT's I'm thinking low 4's
    Roger Correll Washington February 23, 2017 at 15:55
    They would have to pay me to take it!
    Dan Az February 23, 2017 at 16:27
    A personal car owned by a president. That car is a low mileage Ferrari. Hmmm, what if Kennedy or Regan had a Ferrari and it went up for auction today? Yes it would bring a huge premium
    Jim So. Cal. February 23, 2017 at 17:15
    $365,000 it will sell for
    Tina Marzano Hartford, CT February 23, 2017 at 17:48
    Yes, I believe it will 🇺🇸
    darrell saunders Ohio February 23, 2017 at 18:24
    it would be a one of a kind car considering who the owner is. Has any other President had one of their cars sold at auction?
    Michael North Carolina February 23, 2017 at 18:44
    As I recall, the auction of GW Bush's Ford truck struggled to bring any strong numbers until Rick Hendrick offered a "charity" bid, and that was with Jay Leno handling the promotion in the room. Given DJT's low approval rating, I can't believe his ownership of this F430 will improve the sale price. Might even hurt it.
    mike in. February 23, 2017 at 19:44
    Oh, its red.
    SCOTT San Jose February 23, 2017 at 20:24
    No most people don't care either way
    Brakeservo Arizona February 23, 2017 at 23:39
    I've heard Trump apparently has two Rolls-Royce vehicles as well, a '56 Silver Cloud and a 2015 Phantom. Can anyone confirm this?
    Bill California February 24, 2017 at 17:47
    I always knew that family had class. What did Obama and Clinton drive?
    Joseph Below kali February 24, 2017 at 09:40
    Whoever buys President Trump's Ferrari will get ten times it's sales price in world wide publicity. People would line up for hot-laps, $1,000 a lap for charity, driven by Mario Andretti. Twenty laps per hour--ka-ching, ka-ching.
    Hank Miami February 24, 2017 at 22:11
    To those implying Trum is selling the car: Pay Attention. He does not own it. He is not the one selling it. Did you read the article? Trump sold it a few years ago. The new owner is the smart guy selling it! And yes I do agree with the folks saying north of asking price. This will be one collectible to have.
    John Higgins California February 24, 2017 at 10:35
    If some idiot paid five million for the batmobile, another idiot will pay a yuge premium for the Trumpmobile.
    Pauley.D Florida February 24, 2017 at 11:22
    it will go over 1.000.000 !!! If not several !!
    John N Y February 24, 2017 at 11:37
    My my, such bitterness. I hope the Ferrari fetches the highest bid possible, and that the President give the money to charity. Wouldn't that just frost the media's butts.
    Dan Milwaukee, WI February 24, 2017 at 00:51
    Seems like a vandalism magnet to me. I would not pay a premium; and if I were Hagerty, I would not write a policy on it. But to answer your question, I do think it will bring a premium price which should bring it up to average value in a declining Ferrari market.
    Kip Fort lauderdale February 24, 2017 at 12:56
    Wow. Great car, super low miles and our Presidents Trump's Ferrari. What a treasure. Watching this one.
    John Z Houston, Texas February 25, 2017 at 00:04
    This car will go for s big number, at least $400K.
    Dan Denver February 27, 2017 at 09:25
    I bet he buys it back just so no one else can profit off of him.
    Marc In March 1, 2017 at 15:14
    What a great president. I hope the car brakes the bank.
    JIM GARNER, NC March 5, 2017 at 14:15
    Disregarding the lefty snobs who never have anything good to say about our great country, I'd say that Trump previous ownership should give this a good bump at auction. But I don't think Trump is a car guy & present owner can't sell this as such. MAGA!!