15 February 2017

Video: Shiny – Make your glass like new

Spray-and-wipe is just the start. Our friends at Meguiar’s have all the goods to make your car windows like new.

Routine cleaning of automotive glass removes light dirt and contaminants and requires nothing more than a good glass cleaner and chamois. We recommend Meguiar’s Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner. Ammonia and alcohol-free, it’s safe on window tint and leaves the glass streak-free when used with Meguiar’s Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels. If stubborn contaminants remain bonded to exterior glass, use Meguiar’s Smooth Surface Clay Kit. Although clay is usually recommended for painted surfaces, it’s also safe and efficient for glass.

Light imperfections in the glass such as wiper marks require more work. A Dual Action Polisher, like Meguiar’s MT300, will save you a lot of elbow grease. Attach a 5” DA Foam Cutting Disc to the 5” DA Backing Plate on your DA Polisher. Apply a small amount of M105 Ultra Cut Compound to the face of the Foam Cutting Disc. Set your DA to 5800 OPM (oscillations per minute) and work in a 2’ x 2’ section, making three or four overlapping passes using moderate pressure, moving the pad slowly over the area. Wipe off residue before the product dries. Repeat procedure if the defect remains after the first few passes.

Products Highlighted:

• G8224 Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner
  • X2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber Towels
  • G1016 Smooth Surface Clay Kit
  • M10532 Ultra Cut Compound
  • DFC5 5” DA Foam Cutting Disc
  • MT300 Dual Action Polisher with DA 5” Backing Plate DBP5

Larry joubert Port Allen la. February 15, 2017 at 15:52
    85cadi sedan deville 75000mi
    Warren J Barber Texas February 15, 2017 at 16:35
    I was installing my windshield on my 59 Rambler American , but before hand I thought I'd polish her expecially around the edges where I would not be able to after install. Once done I installed and then polished the entire glass and wiped her clean. she looked better then new. I called my family out to take a look and they all though there was no glass but I just put the rubber seal around the edge, they had to get up close before they all realized there was actually glass. have pics and could not tell there is glass except from the reflection. highly recommend this product. I actually wax the glass a few times to help from minor rocks and easy to get bugs off of.
    Tony E Hartford Ct February 15, 2017 at 17:48
    I've used Bar Keepers Friend, on problem glass. It will take out stains where even rubbing compound wouldn't. Around $2 in the cleanser isle of your grocery store. Very easy to use.
    Michael Armand North Carolina February 15, 2017 at 18:10
    Will above process remove some of the "sandblasting" from windshields?
    Kpar Illinois February 15, 2017 at 18:30
    I have a Ford CPVI with 225K+, and my windshield looks like it has been lightly sandblasted. Will this clean it up?
    Robert Briehl Oakville ON Canada February 15, 2017 at 20:10
    I am impressed with the video. Is this product line also available in Canada. Will the polish also remove pine pitch from the glass?
    Unmaximillian Beyond the Valley of the Dolls February 15, 2017 at 22:41
    Video shows how to get the outside of the windshield clean. Old cars with original vinyl upholstery can develop a scummy film on the inside of the windshield that smears and streaks and is nearly impossible to completely remove. Are there any cleaners that can cut through that stuff and not leave a residue?
    Kirk California February 16, 2017 at 13:08
    Toughest problem I've had, removing Armorall from glass. Nothing seems to work to remove the blurry film it leaves…
    Bob T Surrey February 16, 2017 at 13:29
    I recently picked up a tip from a motor-home owner's web-site that i was quite impressed with. The advice given was: Using 0000 Steel wool, thoroughly clean your windshield in circular motions. Do this until all bugs, dirt and other mess has been removed from the glass. DO NOT use water or other liquids with the steel wool as it will clog the wool and cause it to rust. After you are satisfied the glass is free of contaminants, apply some "Rain-X" ... your windshield will be better than new. The secret is the 0000 Steel wool. Do not use any other number but "0000" ... that's very important!
    Ted Oklahoma February 16, 2017 at 14:09
    I am very interested on a response to "sandblasted" windshield
    Ed Mucha VA February 16, 2017 at 14:19
    not for nothing, but to remove a lot of tar and similar pieces of debris, use what glass installers use, a fresh, new, single-edge razor blade. As for cleaning glass on the cheap, best deal is first wet down glass w/hose, then when glass dries, use windshield fluid and plain old, newspaper. Doesn't scratch, dries streak-free. But then, I'm "old school".
    Loren Moore Michigan February 16, 2017 at 18:13
    I use a little vinegar mixed with water in a spray bottle and wipe with old newspapers and my glass is nice and clean.
    Peter Connecticut February 16, 2017 at 08:06
    Will this remove the speckling caused by road sand and dirt over the years?
    Ron Colorado February 16, 2017 at 21:28
    Glass polishing will not remove sand pitting or scratches. General rule of thumb is, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail it won't polish out.
    Paul Smith Michigan February 16, 2017 at 11:34
    Is there an answer to sandblasting effect on the windshield?
    carrman West Texas February 16, 2017 at 12:31
    Unmaximillian, I have used a general cleaner, such as 409, and then followed up with a good glass cleaner, like sprayway.
    Hagerty Traverse City, MI February 17, 2017 at 09:35
    In regards to a sandblasted windshield, it really depends on how bad the sandblasting is. If it is pretty light, chances are good it will get rid of the pitting… but if it is bad, I don’t think this process would get rid of the issue. You would have to do the cutting wax with dual action polisher to begin to touch the more severe blasting.
    James E Raleigh, NC February 17, 2017 at 10:15
    As mentioned earlier, your favorite glass cleaner followed up with crumpled up black and white newspaper will do a better job than most methods. For particularly dirty glass, fine steel wool will get as much or more gunk off of the glass than clay does. Stubborn gunk can be scraped with a new razor blade without damaging the glass. This is also my preferred method of removing globs of pine sap. If you have a lot of pine sap, Pine Sol will take it right off. I'll have to try the Meguiars polish.
    Ed CA February 18, 2017 at 13:37
    Be careful with the vinegar. It's just diluted acid. Time and place for everything, but if used, flush and direct water under any metal surrounding the glass. Flush the cowl venting as well. Also: Silicone is wonderful stuff, but should be reserved for use only under controlled conditions. Absolute horror to paint refinishing. The reason I don't use it in my brake system.
    Cleaning Guy Michigan February 23, 2017 at 08:43
    Pitting requires a much more aggressive polisher. A DA is designed with a clutch to stop it from "burning" the paint. Glass is HARD. Like, glass. You need to get a rotary buffer and put some weight into it. I also would recommend nerves of steel or a windshield to practice on if you care about your seeing out your glass because you can go too deep and ruin your it.
    Greg Kansas March 6, 2017 at 10:43
    I tried this to get rid of fine pitting. I did just half the windshield. It appears to have helped a little, but most fine pitting is still there. One important thing that the video left out is to mask everything! The compound flies everywhere when polishing. And probably best to do outside on a cloudy day. I got the compound all over the car and the inside of my garage.