30 January 2017

Instagram Jump Start: The fix is in – if you love classic car photos

The North American International Auto Show has packed up and left the Motor City. Scottsdale Auction Week is in the rearview mirror. If you’re looking for your next classic car fix, we have just the thing. From Corvettes to wagons to taillights to luxury cars, check out the five most-liked Instagram posts on HagertyClassiccars last week:

1. 1959 Chevrolet Corvette (1,968 likes) – The 1959 Chevrolet Corvette – restyled just one year earlier – carried a 283-cid V-8 engine ranging in performance from 230 to 290 hp.
    1959 Chevrolet Corvette

2. 1957 Buick Century Caballero wagon (1,540 likes) – Given to the George W. Bush Foundation by its original owner, this spectacular 1957 Buick Century Caballero Estate Wagon was restored by Jay Leno’s Big Dog Garage and carries the 43rd president’s signature on the inside of the driver’s door.
    1957 Buick Century Caballero wagon

3. 1965 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 (1,486 likes) – The ‘65 Chevrolet Impala SS 396 convertible was not only a powerful machine, it could be ordered with convenience options like power steering, power brakes and power top. Those sweet taillights came standard.
    1965 Chevrolet Impala SS 396

4. 1949 Cadillac Series 62 (1,273 likes) – The 1949 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan featured a restyled grille, two-piece windshield and a longer hood, which concealed its new 331-cid overhead valve V-8. Previous models carried a flathead engine.
    1949 Cadillac Series 62

5. 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Sedan (1,176 likes) – The 1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Sedan’s base price was $2,329. Adjusting for inflation, that’s about $19,397 in today’s economy. Engine choices ranged from a 145-hp, 223-cid Mileage Maker Six to a 300-hp, 352-cid Special V-8.
    1958 Ford Fairlane 500 Club Sedan

You Like It, We Love It – Every week there’s a photo on HagertyClassicCars that we think deserved a lot more “likes” than it received. This one – a tribute to Arnie Beswick’s 1963 Pontiac LeMans 421 Super Duty drag car – is one of those.
Arnie Beswick’s 1963 Pontiac LeMans 421 Super Duty drag car

Best of the Rest – Let’s face it, the shiniest jewels generally get the most attention. But classic car lovers are attracted to dirty pennies too. This photo by @t.l.gardner caught our eye not only for what it shows – an old Ford pickup stacked atop a Chevy dump truck – but also for what it doesn’t. How did the trucks reach this Pennsylvania resting place? Why are they stacked like that? What stories could they tell? “Two old junkyard dogs” is our favorite post of the week.
old Ford pickup stacked atop a Chevy dump truck

Terry Calgary ,Canada February 1, 2017 at 17:04
    #5 is just a Fairlane not a Fairlane 500.
    Vern Doria Chino Valley, AZ February 1, 2017 at 17:13
    Yep, love classic car photos but I rarely see the 1969-70 Pontiac Grand Prix. I'd send you one but there is no place for an attachment.
    Rick Florida February 1, 2017 at 18:47
    Sorry, I can't remember a Ford "pickup" with wheels that heavy. Love the photo though.
    Motorvated Colorado February 1, 2017 at 18:53
    Given the incredible talent designing so many makes and models "every" year with styling changes was incedible. Growing up during those times left any car nut drooling for what was coming and then spoting the new models for the first time! I couldn't tell you what is what today as they are all the same molded plastic and quite boring.
    jim cunningham Mays Landing n.j. February 1, 2017 at 20:41
    I own a1966 Chevy Impala and I can't believe the difference in popularity there is between it and the 65. They are almost identical but the 66 is far less popular at car shows etc. Love mine had it since 1984 still in great shape.
    Lee Melvill Alberta, Canada February 1, 2017 at 21:42
    Boy is that 51 or 52 Ford "pickup" on top of the Chev 3-ton truck ever a heavy duty model! Actually, the Ford is a 3-ton, not a pickup. Look at the front wheels.
    Danny Frost Jackson February 1, 2017 at 23:56
    Just a chevy show again. sick
    Ray T Cleveland, OH February 2, 2017 at 16:29
    In my humble opinion, the 1957 Buick Caballero wagon is one of the most beautiful "long roofs" of all time. I would take one over a Nomad in a heartbeat!
    Hamilton Smith Duluth MN February 2, 2017 at 12:16
    The Buick wagon reminds me of my 57 Pontiac Safari Wagon. 347 ci. 3 on the tree. Put my 59 , 650 Tiger in the back with all my other worldly posessions and drove from Dayton Ohio back to school in Wis.. Great cruiser on the Highway.
    Robert rosemead, ca 91770 February 2, 2017 at 12:37
    I had a friend who order a 1965 impala it came with 409. The 396 was not ready at the time.
    Mike Grant Grand Rapids MI February 5, 2017 at 09:42
    Thanks for the great pix. I had a '65 Chev 283 dark blue hardtop, sweetest car. In a dumb move, I traded it for a lovely '69 dark over light blue Pontiac Grand Prix. I'd buy another '65 if I could.