6 January 2017

Answer of the Week: Does the idea of a Hybrid Ford Mustang terrify you?

“Nope nope nope. Maybe they should reintroduce the Probe and other good ideas,” Billy Continental quipped on our Facebook page. No, Continental does not think that a hybrid Ford Mustang would be worthwhile. Others agreed with him.

But surprisingly, there was some consensus among our fans that as long as certain criteria are met, a hybrid pony car is OK. It was all in response to Ford’s announcement that they’d release a hybrid V-8 Mustang by 2020. We asked whether this was cause for alarm or simply a sign of the times and something to be excited about?

Christopher Spurlock summed it up tidily, “As long as it’s still got that V-8 rumble I don’t see an issue… Great gas mileage on the street and more power when needed, definitely a sign of the times.” Any other requirements? Well, one. Gustavo Casara won’t accept all-wheel drive. Even if it’s like Ken Block’s ’65?

Some folks, like Tim Neal, pointed to technological progress when asking whether “we still build with flatheads and side valves? Or do we always strive to advance?” The implication is obvious: Technology marches on. And while we may eventually lose the mechanical for the electronic and digital, and our according experiences may be altered in the process, we are going faster. And typically producing fewer emissions and using less fuel to do so. “Did Ferrari or Porsche kill the hypercars with the LaFerrari and 918?” Scott Brandt asked.

Still, for Jari Nieminen the shift to Mustang hybrids isn’t enough. Nieminen would like to know when it will be fully electric. Might we suggest a Tesla Model S?

As mentioned however, most people who responded were alright with a hybrid Mustang. Some went further: Dan Curran was “very excited,” and it “sounds great” to Peter David. At Hagerty, we’re curious and eager about the idea’s potential but will withhold judgment on its execution ‘til Ford tosses us a key.

Have an opinion on hybrid pony cars, or hybrids in general? Did we miss something? Let us know in the comments below.

Darren Winnipeg, Canada January 7, 2017 at 18:09
    This is a segment where people don't care about fuel economy. It's not needed except where engine tax regulations make V8 engines expensive.
    John L Mi January 11, 2017 at 16:08
    What choices do manufactures have with CAFE requirements? Have you tried auto stop/start yet.
    TomC North Carolina January 11, 2017 at 16:16
    In my opinion a Mustang is not Mustang unless it has V8. I don't even like to see them with V6s or Turbo 4s. I am old school!
    Dennis Sarasota, FL January 11, 2017 at 21:04
    I like my Lincoln MKZ hybrid. It all depends on execution. Fuel savings will always be a good thing as long as the other parts of the execution are done well.
    Cash MI January 12, 2017 at 18:06
    If it's a V8 hybrid be assured Ford Performance is involved.As Porsche and Ferrari have proven, hybrids are not ALL about economy.Imagine a coyote synced with another 150? extra electrical horses putting out max. torque at 0 rpm? Hold on muscle car fans this could be fun!
    Brad Davis Fort Wayne IN January 12, 2017 at 19:43
    Can you imagine all that instant torque in addition to the V8 power and rumble? I can! C'mon Ford, be the first to develop it!
    Amos West Baden, Indiana January 13, 2017 at 19:37
    I loved the thought of an Ecoboost Mustang and I love the thought of a hybrid Mustang. The only Mustangs that I think of being desirable because of a V8 are the older ones. New ones, let Ford work their magic.
    Amos West Baden, Indiana January 13, 2017 at 19:38
    Charley Robinson TX January 18, 2017 at 13:04
    I drive a hybrid (Prius) but also a MGB. Give me a hybrid that sounds like a muscle car and has sporty performance and I'm in.
    Michael Brinkley Philadelphia PA January 31, 2017 at 15:45
    I don't have a problem with it as long as it stays true to the original both in styling and performance.