29 November 2016

eBay find of the Week: Brown diesel wagon with a stick

Vintage trucks and SUVs are rising stars in the collector car community. As new SUVs become increasingly more popular as compared to cars, their early predecessors are drawing attention as well. We’ve seen Jeep Grand Wagoneers sell for extravagant sums and Toyota Land Cruisers have been sky-high for a while, as well. So, when we see something different (and potentially still affordable) it catches our eye.

The International Harvester Scout was first introduced in 1960 as a very basic off-road capable vehicle. Let’s be honest, the concept of a “luxury SUV” was still decades away and these were spartan, but robust, vehicles. The model became a bit more comfortable as it evolved into the Scout II in 1971.

This 1980 Scout II Traveler represents the model’s final production year. As a Traveler, it has a longer wheelbase than the base model but retained the removable fiberglass top. Hey, it’s a convertible as well! This one doesn’t have the optional third-row seat but does have a correct Nissan-sourced turbo-Diesel engine. We’re drawn to the period-correct brown exterior, plaid upholstery and door trim, stripes and four-speed manual transmission. Who says collector cars can’t be family-friendly and practical as well?

Noel Texas November 30, 2016 at 19:00
    Cool Traveler, and it's the 1980 turbo diesel as well. I've always been a fan of I.H. and have owned over a dozen Scouts as well as a couple of Travelers. They were extremely well made vehicles, and ahead of their time. Too bad I.H. pulled the plug just as the S.U.V. craze was developing.
    Al Mosier Sacramento, Ca. November 30, 2016 at 19:44
    Worked for International Harvester, The Truck Division. for 18 years.I drove a number of vehicles one of which was the Scout. I thought it was a great unit,and wish I had one now.
    Bill Ontario December 1, 2016 at 10:25
    International Harvester had a good product in their Scouts and pickup trucks but they were selling them from a farm implement dealership. Not the first place one thinks of when looking for a family vehicle. You didn't see Henry Ford selling his tractors at the car lot. Sad that IH got out of that business just before things really took off with SUV's
    Sue B. Long Island NY December 22, 2016 at 08:45
    In 1971 My first vehicle was a 65 Scout. Bare bones but as long as it drove on the beach it was good enough for me. Surfing, fishing and camping-slept in the back. Great memories.
    Don Kohn Pennslyvania February 17, 2017 at 16:05
    I have both a 1980 Turbo-Diesel Scout Traveler and a 1979 Scout Traveler with a 345 and an automatic transmission. I believe that all Turbo Diesels were 4-speeds. The automatics were Chrysler automatics with a different bell housing bolt pattern.
    Paul Therkildsen thamesford On February 17, 2017 at 19:52
    To Greg. I have the same scout as you. The transmission is a chrysler torqueflyte 727. Very robust trans. but hey, they don't last forever.
    Greg Kackstetter Ahwahnee ,California February 17, 2017 at 11:39
    I've got a'79 Scout II I've been restoring . 345cid with automatic , runs n drives great , 4x4works good too. Anyone know about the type of transmission, seem to slip sometimes
    Richard Smith Henderson Nevada March 9, 2017 at 14:49
    Greg the Chrysler transmission uses throttle pressure linkage from the carb to the transmission. The linkage needs to be adjusted correctly for the transmission to shift right and last.