27 April 2016

Video: Five steps to paint maintenance

Taking care of your paint is no joke. Luckily, our friends at Meguiar’s shared their best tips for maintaining a flawless finish.

1. Wash: Don’t use dish soap or detergent. Instead, use a wash specifically for vehicles, a microfiber mitt, and a microfiber drying towel.
  2. Clean: Start with claybar then add a compound.
  3. Polish
  4. Wax: For best results, use a paste. If you are in a hurry, a try a liquid.
  5. Maintain: An ultimate detailer is your best friend

Dave Pyle Houston TX April 27, 2016 at 17:17
    The "process" is obviously to sell expensive products. How about taking it to a car wash? Not a good idea for a true antique with fading finish. Certainly not for a show car. If really dirty (like just off the transport truck) I use water and a little dish washer soap. Leaves no water spots. Softer the water the better. To get the everyday dust off I just use a big wet (black) bath towel and then wipe dry. Most of my cars still have a shiny finish, but if needing something better I take it to an expert finisher. He charges $45. Sometimes I try to rub out small scratches with a special polish. No very successful and scuffs the area. I belong to the KISS clan.
    jorge mexico April 27, 2016 at 18:16
    hi friends i´ve been your reader for some time, and as i reciebed this edition issue i was wondering if you could give me a recomendation on what product could be the best for unfading my boxster 08 fabric top i used to cover but the car cover startig to fade and the micro particules started to get into the cloath, the looking is as have dust thank you for your advise fan reader
    Sonny KY April 27, 2016 at 19:23
    What was that? If you learned anything from that video, raise your hand.
    Dief VT April 27, 2016 at 20:03
    I have been using Ivory liquid soap to wash all my vehicles (classic & everyday). I use a boars hair brush and dry with a synthetic chamois. I haven't noticed any problems and think that a lot of these products are a big hype. The claybar and compound is a good way to restore the finish followed by a premium wax like Mequires or Mother's.
    Gerry Ca April 27, 2016 at 20:14
    And what to do about clear coat that has slightly deteriorated? I just hate that process, used to be able to cleaner apply ,then wax !
    Larry Pack Grand Blanc April 27, 2016 at 20:19
    Rather than a towel to dry my cars or a chamois, I use a leaf blower dedicated just to the cars. It gets water out of the most little places and doesn't scratch the finish. Probably wouldn't work in a sand storm though.
    Keith Walker Ottawa April 27, 2016 at 20:48
    I have a red 2003 Corolla and all I have ever done to maintain appearance is just wash the car with the hose water and brush. Except for normal scratches etc the finish is still very good
    Robert Turner Sewell, NJ April 27, 2016 at 21:08
    Best way to wash & polish a car is from the top down.
    Nigel Florids April 27, 2016 at 21:10
    Why paste wax is better than liquid wax
    PHIL BROWN SANTA CLARITA,CA April 27, 2016 at 21:26
    Do you use the clay bar and compound AFTER you wash and dry the car ?
    walt mclaughlin florida April 27, 2016 at 22:35
    why is dish soap a no/no? Have used one particular brand on my 2003 Silverado and see no problem to any area of the truck.
    Earl Glasgow Kentucky April 29, 2016 at 14:09
    I've heard that waxing your car actually causes the paint to oxidize faster than just using detail spray....any truth to this?
    Hank Schaeffer Colchester, Ct 06415 April 30, 2016 at 16:05
    Looking for info on buffing a car with an Electric buffer