13 April 2016

Video: Barn Find Hunter - Northern California

In the latest episode of our “Barn Find Hunter” series, Tom explores the rolling vineyards and winding roads of northern California, where he encounters one of the original California hot-rodders, a car he’s dreamed of finding since he was a boy, and a surprising array of classics in a Napa Valley backyard, including a Lincoln that may or may not have belonged to a music superstar.

Ray T North Collinwood, Ohio April 13, 2016 at 16:03
    Great show. Love his passion and knowledge. I'm sure if anybody came rolling up in a Woodie Wagon, anybody would know this is a car guy coming. Also...thanks for validating the fact that station wagons are becoming more desirable. Makes me glad I own a 55 Ford Country Sedan.
    Alan Detrick Salem, Oregon April 13, 2016 at 16:35
    312 Ford in 1954? Not so.... The 54's came with the 1st year OHV 239. The 312 came out in late '56 and ended in 1960 on the basic Merc.
    Murray Scott Canada April 13, 2016 at 16:49
    We can only dream of cars like this here in the rust belt. Great story but I think you are a little off on the displacement of the engine in the 54 wagon. The first OHV engine from Ford was a 239cu in (256 in the Mercury.) The 312 was not introduced until 1956.
    Dean North Carolina April 13, 2016 at 17:03
    The '54 Ford wagon wouldn't have had a 312 engine. I think '56 was the first 312. I enjoyed the video but why does the music have to be so much louder than the voice?? Turn it down a bit! Dean
    Michael Pleasant Hill, CA April 13, 2016 at 17:07
    I'm going to disagree with the assessment of the 54 Ford wagon. When restored he states the value as between $20,000-25,000. Buy at $2000-2500, do the work yourself, and you will end up cash ahead. Owner would really like $3000! Ah, no. First, I have never known anyone who could do machine work, welding, body work, painting and upholstery all rolled into one. I can do welding, body work, painting, rebuilding basic systems, assembly and the detail but not machine work and upholstery. I have done five cars so far. I see roughly $20,000 in costs if I did it since the engine machine work and upholstery would need to be farmed out. Being Northern California that would run around $10,000. I also consider my, at least, 1000 hours put into this restoration to do it right. Therefore it only makes sense for someone who just has to have the car for the sheer love of the car. For love owners spend whatever but for any other reason you are out when labor is considered. Many forget the hours they put into something which is time that could be spent elsewhere making money. I am no exception. I have spent over 10,000 hours restoring an aircraft carrier rather than using the time in my office making money. Why? I'm stupid nuts in love with the ship and will do whatever to save her for history along with other stupid nuts volunteers.
    brent goderich,ontario April 13, 2016 at 17:10
    Should call him CARNAC the magicion ,incredible, feel the cover and guess the model!!! Just great,Brent
    Scott K SoCal April 13, 2016 at 17:37
    Interesting display of parts cars; most are beyond practical restoration. Sure, that 54 Country Sedan might sell for $25,000, if you put $60,000 restoration work into it. And it's still a 4 door. By the way, the Y Block in 1954 was 239"; the 312 version wasn't until 1956. As far as the Mk. II: in a few years, people will say "Who is Elvis?".
    Ann Virginia April 13, 2016 at 17:48
    Please contact me when Tom wants to take on a co-host! These episodes are amazing!
    Bob Palma brownsburg IN April 13, 2016 at 18:29
    Tom twice mentions the 1954 Ford Country Sedan having a 312 cubic inch V8, "Ford's first OHV V8 after the flathead." That '54 would have a 239 OHV Y-block in it, since that was the only V8 displacement in 1954 Fords. The 312 didn't come along until 1956.
    John Henry Taylor London England April 13, 2016 at 19:30
    Hello Hagerty,I've a Stutz Blackhawk 75 here in London . Do you know what it's worth in USA. Thanks John Henry.
    Bill Allen Redmond, WA April 13, 2016 at 19:31
    Nice article but point of information for accuracy. The 1954 Ford was OHV y block, but very early. I believe it was 255CID. NOT 312. Had it been overhauled it could have been a 312, but the crossover exhaust manifold tells me it was a stock 54 Ford y block. Rated at 120 hp back then. Not a great engine but first ohv. effort.
    Paul Cape Cod, Ma April 13, 2016 at 20:24
    These are great, keep them coming
    greg mass April 13, 2016 at 21:43
    Tom made the same mistake twice. In 1954 Ford made a 239 c.i., not till 1956 did they have a 312c.i.
    John N Tonawanda NY April 13, 2016 at 21:58
    If that 54 Ford wagon was stock, it would not have a 312 engine, 54 was the first year for the Y-Block but it was 239 cu. in. like the flathead from the year before. The 55 had 272 cubes with 292 optional and the 312 was introduced in 57.
    Black Cat SoCal, CA April 13, 2016 at 23:08
    Very nice. 'Love Tom's books, liked this video better than the others because it focused on the cars and their stories, with much less of the off-putting commentary: "it's worth 'x' now, and you might get 'y' for it". Flippers don't care about the cars, just the flip. Car guys care about the cars, watch videos, buy books, turn wrenches, and if they're lucky, make a buck when it's time to let go.
    Charlie Gillies Minden NV April 14, 2016 at 01:00
    The original v8 engine in a 1954 Ford was a 239 ci and the first overhead valve v8 for Ford. The 1953 v8 was also 239 cubic inch displacement but it was a flathead. The Ford v8 in 1955 was a completely different design overhead valve engine with a 272 ci displacement, and this engine architecture was retained in 1956 with increased displacements of 272 ci and (We finally get to it.) 312 ci available. The 1954 Ford 239 cubic inch overhead valve v8 may have been the same engine used in the 1953 Studebaker, which may have been derived from modifying the 239 ci Ford flathead v8.
    Warren Turner Near Pittsburgh April 14, 2016 at 01:28
    The 54 Ford wagon did not have a 312 V-8: the first OHV FORD V-8 (not Lincoln) was a 239 OHV YBlock V-8 if I remember right. The 312 was the last of the Y-Block series found in some later model Fords.
    Alan Sacramento, CA April 14, 2016 at 01:48
    I own a SAMCO Cord and I would like to get ahold of "Rod"- Napa , CA that Tom interviewed that also has one. Please let me know. Thanks
    Gary Fresno April 14, 2016 at 15:10
    The production side of the 'Show' needs to get "up" on their game...mic the guests, as well, and not just the host.
    Daniel Florida April 14, 2016 at 19:43
    Really enjoy Tom's adventures!!! Something I used to dream of doing, searching for finds. I believe if he checks on the 1954 Ford wagon he'll find it wasn't a 312 V8. I believe that was a 239, then they had a 272, then they had a 292, then the 312. In spite of this he has an amazing knowledge of cars!! Keep this program going. Hagerty should sponsor this for a longer program that would have more detail. Love it!! Daniel
    LARRY WILLMAN CHERRY VALLEY ARKANSAS April 14, 2016 at 08:06
    LIKE TO BUY A FEW OF THOSE AS I AM LOOKING FOR MY NEXT PROJECT LOVE STOCKER's LARRY
    bruce berst casper,wyoming April 14, 2016 at 12:39
    I would love to know the history of that yellow 1953 Studebake r if anyone could help. I am the President of the Wyoming chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club.
    Danny Saucier Seabeck, WA April 16, 2016 at 14:02
    Commented the last time. Once again, and I'm not sure how Tom got the job probably 10,000 of us want, but you shouldn't make mistakes if you have this job. Furthermore, once again the comments made about not being able to do the '54 wagon for a realistic amount compared to the end value are spot on. Once again, must be a car you are totally in love with because, forget about buying it for any amount--hell given to you FOR FREE, you don't restore that car and expect to come out even close to even. Barn finds indeed.
    Susan bonal Arizona April 20, 2016 at 03:26
    Blows me away.. Can't believe these are still around. My 96 year old dad will love seeing them.
    Bob Childers Michigan April 20, 2016 at 16:01
    You are not going to find cars like that sitting outside here in Michigan. You guys ever heard of snow and the salt they put on the roads? You would be hard pressed to find cars over 10 years old in daily use that don't have rust.
    BOB CASE DESTIN FL 32541 June 3, 2016 at 21:42
    I HAVE A 55 FORD CROWN VICTORIA IN MINT CONDITION FOR SALE
    Rod Napa June 10, 2016 at 00:23
    In Tom's defense about the dang 239,I gotta say, it is not easy to be on top of it all when you are overwhelmed with cool cars you just walked into. I need to clear my head every day when I walk out to work on a project.. Lemme see, I am pulling the 327 out of the 64 SS. ONLY tools I need are.... 9/16- 5/8- 1/2- screwdriver and pliers. OK---- well-- unless some nut ball screwed things up
    Ron Wright Gastonia, NC July 15, 2016 at 13:18
    I just began watching Episode 5 on YouTube, and saw a yellow and black delivery truck in the Mooresville episode with the placard "Dimeo Ice Cream" on the side sitting next to the Ford Anglia he was talking about. I lived around the corner from Dimeo's Ice Cream Store in West Gastonia from 1949 to 1968, and the Dimeos were really good friends. Mr. Dimeo ran his business beside their home, and all of the members of the family. were friends of ours. I can provide some insight as to how Mr. Angelo Dimeo ran the business as well. I did get to ride in that truck a time or two,and I'm interested on how it came to be in the present owner's possession. Thanks for allowing me to contact you. Ron Wright