6 April 2016

Video: 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air | Ride Along

Car nut Bob Whitter from Yulee, Fla., has been enjoying and collecting cars for about 40 years, so when his close friend wanted to restore and upgrade his 1957 Chevrolet using 21st century technology, he was more than happy to assist.

“He was more of a brother than a friend,” Whitter said. “He fought cancer for many years.”

The car was completely restored inside and out, and no expense was spared with a brand new crate motor, suspension, vintage air, cruise control, power steering and power brakes. But the most important request? That his grandson gets the car, and Whitter agreed to make that happen.

Ronald steinke Waco texas April 6, 2016 at 20:12
    I have a 1957 two door hard top that has been in family for about 30 years and would like someone to own it that would appreciate its beauty if you know someone who might be interested in buying one please give them my email address twinibeam001@aol.com thanks
    Chuck Daniels St Marie Mt. April 6, 2016 at 20:19
    Very heartwarming story, & really cool 57
    ROGER A NELSON Seattle,Wa. April 6, 2016 at 20:34
    Your a Great man & ( FRIEND ) !!!!!! sweet ride
    Rms San Francisco,CA April 6, 2016 at 20:52
    I would rather have an absolutely stock version of this car (There were so many options available in 1957 on a stock Chevrolet sedan Bel Air for starters). That's what makes an old car a "classic"... remembering how things used to be.... - 280 hp not 500hp, drum brakes that didn't work, non-precise steering, cable driven speedometers, inefficient and dirty choke/carburetor and even a 35 amp generator! If I want to use modern technology I might do with Jay Leno did and take an entire body off of a car and put it on a late model Corvette chassis so that I can really have some fun in the mountains otherwise I would rather have a stock classic and drive it on Sundays without the need to race anybody (probably get more attention then a new Porsche given that sports cars are mostly a dime a dozen of these days especially Tesla in Silicon Valley ....I literally see every high-end car every day Audi Mercedes BMW Lexus they're everywhere almost more common then for pick up trucks and vans!!!
    Dave Arlington Wa April 6, 2016 at 21:02
    Great story love to hear the legacy the last shot driving away was kinda weird Bob was on the wrong side of the car...
    Randy Norco CA April 6, 2016 at 21:20
    This is a beautiful build.. Mine looked exactly like this back in the 80s (the only difference is my dash is black) before I decided to make it a blown street gasser that I race at eagle field runway drags twice a year. You can see it and all my car show and drag racing videos on youtube.@ bigrans57chevy channel.
    edward violante glendale,arizona April 6, 2016 at 21:46
    This was always my favorite car.I grew up with one,then soldit.I bought another 5 years later and went thru the whole car.I am happy to see it still retains a "stock" type of motor and like the five speed very much.
    John L. Broughton Prescott Valley, AZ April 6, 2016 at 22:12
    A very nice car. Many folks, myself included, like '57 Chevrolets. However, at car shows, there seem to always be several of them. However, there are not several '57 Pontiac Chieftains like mine. I had two different ones before and after I was in the Army back in the early 60s and found one here in town two years ago that had a frame off restoration about 20 years ago. It is stock, just the way I remember my first ones. I like it being the only one at a car show when I take it. http://tinyurl.com/my57Chieftain
    Den St. Louis, MO April 6, 2016 at 23:10
    What too cool car story and what a gentleman Mr. Whitter and is now deceased friend are. Reminds me of my 1957 BelAir two door hardtop that was stolen when I was 18 years old (1967). It was after a year of back yard mechanical work and what seemed like a lot of money at the time. I still dream about my '57 Chevy BelAir, Sierra Gold with an Adobe White top, and what it fun it might have been had I finished it. : )
    Rebecca California April 6, 2016 at 23:21
    Way to go, Bob! Sending you some old car love from SoCal❤️
    Chas Teague Perth West Australia. April 7, 2016 at 04:02
    Lovely 57, great story, hope grandson enjoys and takes care of the legacy left to him.
    jason fell Tracy California April 7, 2016 at 04:13
    Beautiful Car with a beautiful story.
    Mike Boston April 7, 2016 at 17:06
    Great story and beautiful car.
    BILL DILLON st.johns nl. canada April 7, 2016 at 19:33
    I LOVE YOUR STORY AND I LOVE 57 CHEVYS I HAVE A 1986 CHEV . PICKUP SHOW TRUCK I GUESS IAM A CHEVY MAN .
    Jim Stewart San Diego, Ca. April 7, 2016 at 19:38
    My 56 210 is almost in the same condition but with a 700-R4 Trans. 70 MPH at 2000 RPM.
    Mitchell Winnetka, CA April 7, 2016 at 09:32
    CA is Car Country and we get it... Truly a beautiful Story. I'm leaving my original owner Avocado Green '75 Scout II to my son and Grandson, fully restored. All my kids learned to drive in this truck. Car people... keep 'er clean, neat and the shinny side up. :) Enjoy the '57 and may she roll million miles and bring a million smiles..
    Dick Tatina Countryside, IL April 7, 2016 at 10:02
    A pat on the back for choosing a Tremec.
    Gary Leavitt Big Bear Lake, Ca. April 7, 2016 at 11:49
    Mr. Bob Whitter, Just viewed the video on the restoration of your 1957 Bel Air and could not help but notice the "most important request? Like yourself I have agreed to pass on my cars to my sons 2 sons and 2 grandsons: 1947 Ford Woodie, 1951 Ford Woodie, 1966 Mustang Convertible and a 1962 Thunderbird Sports Roadster. As you can see I'm not the collector of Chevrolet's and have been looking for the right person to pass on a 1957 Black Bel Air telephone that came out of the Hilton Hotel in Las Vegas...horn honks when the phone rings. If you do not have one please let me know and I will send the phone to you for your grandson. Love my cars and love my grandchildren. Gary Leavitt
    Mike Waterford,Ca April 7, 2016 at 00:41
    Grandpaw was a great Man and has all my respect. P.s. When do I get the car?