1 April 2016

We wish this were an April Fool’s Day joke

Seriously, is this someone’s expensive prank? We prayed it was only a Photoshop special. But it’s not. A call confirmed it. This “1939” Mercury convertible was wedded, tragically, to a mid-‘90s Chevy Lumina. The Chevy’s 3.8 L V-6 and the car world’s tears provide motivation. It also sports custom chrome rims, because why not?

The worst part of this car, and the idea that we can’t quite overcome, is that someone spent a lot of time, money and effort to build it. More shocking is that they managed to sell it to a dealership. And even more astoundingly, the dealership wants nearly $48,000 for it!

Found on Hemmings.com, it gets stranger: It is supposedly fitted with a marine vinyl interior (for what?). Also, it’s “Nicely optioned with lots of personal comforts… [and] is easy and fun to drive.” Talk about a silver lining.

We love ’39 Mercury Coupe Convertibles. And let’s just say that the mid-‘90s weren’t GM’s pinnacle, but the Lumina isn’t garbage. But why do this? It makes some sense to modify an older vehicle for comfort.

But this cut-and-paste MerMina proves that you should consult a professional designer before proceeding. Designers aren’t cheap, but neither is this abomination. And apparently, this car has been listed for a while (one of our employees recognized it). Its only redeeming value is that it is outside the U.S. (sorry, Canada).

Just, how?

JOHN canada April 6, 2016 at 20:03
    ONLY IN CANADA U SAY=PITTY
    Mike Illinois April 6, 2016 at 20:12
    Interior or at least the dash is from a pre-1995 Buick. I am guessing pre-1995 Regal with 1995 or newer Lumina grafted body parts. That 3800 V6 and dash screams Buick not Lumina.
    Donald Guilbault Yuma AZ April 6, 2016 at 20:24
    I think it's great Whoever wrote the article is not a car person. Probably drives Chinese car.
    Joe New York State April 6, 2016 at 21:56
    What is your problem??? Some people will love this car...so you don't...who cares and who made you the "design police" anyway?
    Brian Gould Ontario, Canada April 6, 2016 at 22:12
    Who the hell are you to comment on someone's "baby"? Like you said, someone put a lot of time and effort into creating this. So it's not for everyone. So what? There is a lot to be said for individualism and uniqueness. It would be a pretty damn boring world if we were all driving around in black model "T" Fords. Instead of denigrating the result, better we should applaud the creativity and workmanship. I'll bet the car finds someone who will love it.
    GarryG California April 6, 2016 at 23:03
    Maybe not my favorite custom but, you have to give a lot of credit to the builder for their ingenuity and hard work in completing their vision. The side view photo in the area of the hood and front fender is a bit awkward but, from other angles the design sort of blends. Let's give him/her credit for doing something different, reflecting relatively good workmanship and above all, finishing what they started.
    Dave Ontario April 7, 2016 at 13:08
    For you to refer to yourself as a classic car specialist is a farce in itself. Whether the design of this car is something you like or dislike is not what you should focus on. There is many classic and vintage cars that each of us detests the styling. That is why there is hundreds of thousands of different cars. Beautiful to someone's eyes and you say abominations to others. If you had any real back ground in coach work and fabrication concepts. You should be commenting more on the builders foresight to bring an idea to life. Not bash every detail of how it was done !! Please Mr. Yoav Gilad submit your uniquely designed self built car that we may fall all over how perfect it is I am sure. Until then be a little more diplomatic and appreciative for the work that goes into any car.
    Paul Jordan Oshawa ON Canada. April 7, 2016 at 13:10
    I like it. The lines flow interestingly. So many common designs themes are seen at car shows. This one is different.
    Greg Ontario April 7, 2016 at 13:21
    This thing is horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    bradleydad Sacramento April 7, 2016 at 13:43
    It's amazing what lasting effects recreational pharmaceuticals can have isn't it? They should call it purple haze.
    Tom Chervenak Lowesville, NC April 7, 2016 at 15:26
    Sure beats a Rat Rod!
    Bob Canada April 7, 2016 at 17:38
    So, does this mean that Hagerty won't insure it?
    mike h central ontario April 7, 2016 at 06:28
    I imagine the guy at the dealership got fired for buying the thing in the first place..guy who mad ether car did a bang up job though. Los quite professionally "rebuilt".
    John New York April 7, 2016 at 06:57
    Having seen some of the monstrosities at street rod shows, what's the difference?
    Doc Bush Palm Beach April 7, 2016 at 07:36
    Very likely a fiberglass shell.
    Birney Montcalm Douglasville, GA April 7, 2016 at 08:16
    As a 69-year-old enthusiast, I was very disappointed to read Yoav Gilad's snooty put-down of this unique work of rolling art. This was obviously a labor of love for this particular enthusiast, and there'll be many who can appreciate it, such as the dealer mentioned in the article. By the way, as a former convertible owner, I think the installation of a "marine vinyl" interior, executed with style and expertise, is quite practical. An abomination? I think that aptly describes the author.
    Robert Ontario, Canada April 7, 2016 at 09:10
    I'm a little embarrassed to be a Canadian after seeing that thing...
    pete dallas April 7, 2016 at 09:24
    Be cool Hagerty. This hobby is full of different tastes. You are making a living off the backs of people who cherish their car, no matter what it is.
    Barrie Robinson Barrie, Ontario April 7, 2016 at 09:31
    Spending a lot of money on a project does not make the project any more attractive or admirable. Would one appreciate a Rembrandt painting seamlessly attached to the cartoon page of the Toronto Star? Perhaps a Waterford goblet perfectly married to a beer bottle? In the automotive world why not mate up a 1930s Bugatti to a 1960s Chevy Malibu?
    Eric Florida April 7, 2016 at 09:35
    Like the other commenters here, I agree that the author, not the builder, is the one at fault here. Who is he to put down another's labor of love? While it may be a travesty to cut up an original '39 Mercury to do this, that does not seem to be the case. In fact, based on the fact that the interior and engine are 100% Lumina, it looks like the opposite has happened. The builder has taken a run-of-the-mill 90's Lumina and made it something special, tying it to a theme of a '39 Mercury and improving the Lumina in the process. Good job!
    Wille B. Minneapolis April 7, 2016 at 09:43
    The author of the article has the right to express his opinion on the car, just as the rest of you do. We've all turned up our noses at other peoples' creations at one time or another. The fact that I agree that the car is hideous is beside the point.
    Don Ontario April 7, 2016 at 09:47
    I think the Smithsonian might show an interest in it. It's certainly a creature of its own and not hard to see why it is "still for sale"......... By the way, most Canadians have better taste and judgement than to create something like that. I'm with Hagerty on this call.
    Richard British Columbia April 7, 2016 at 10:42
    I would say lots of hard work. Different but that's ok if we were all the same it would be a boring world. I am always proud to be a Canadian one of the best countries in the world
    John Detroit April 7, 2016 at 11:15
    Something is up with the price. Hemmings lists it for $47,999, but when you click on the link for Sleeman's Classic Cars, it's $37,900!
    ferd the cloud April 7, 2016 at 11:52
    If you don't like it, fine. But to insult the builder - and anybody else who might like it - is rude. Did you check out the car and verify that a viable 1939 Mercury convertible was sacrificed to build this? You do not present the builder's version of the story - you just bash him. Yellow journalism at its best. If this is the quality of Hagerty stories then don't be surprised that we quit reading or taking you seriously.
    Gerry California April 7, 2016 at 12:20
    Why,why,why,destroy a beautiful 39 Merc convert.Just start from scratch with some fiberglass and marine fabrics, and any frame power combo you like ?
    Dennis H South Texas April 7, 2016 at 12:23
    . The quality of work appears to be very good and the project as a whole was well thought out. As I viewed the photos, all I could think is why would anyone do this? This project appears to have been one of those conceived during a long night of drinking and betting. Someone had to have bet the creator of this rolling piece of art that he could never combine his daily driver and his project car together. Not only did he pull it off, he sold it. Everyone at some time had a great idea that did not turn out as planned. I am sure it looked better as an idea. The bright side, at least for me, I will never again have to wonder what a “luminercury” would look like.
    gene polis az April 7, 2016 at 12:57
    It IS different, nothin wrong with THAT....you probably won't pass another one out there......!
    Bolds Virginia Beach, VA April 8, 2016 at 16:05
    What's wrong with it? It looks okay, For 48K, I would think it would have a V8 rather than a six. But, the body is not bad. I have seen a lot of other more expensive cars that I thought weren't nearly worth what they were asking. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean it's worthless. Different Strokes for different folks.
    Joe Indy April 8, 2016 at 08:14
    Who the hell wants a '39 Mercury? A Lumina can't even make that look good.
    Mike MI April 8, 2016 at 09:50
    Yoav, you may have a personal opinion about the looks and efforts that went into this "unique" creation, but tearing it apart and trying to humiliate the creator in a public forum is atrocious. They may have had access to a few crusty parts and decided to use them creatively or torn apart a concourse car to do it, but it was their choice. If all you can do is criticize someone's work, I seriously hope Hagerty considers never using your article again. I'm tired of opinionated fools like you who think they can make a living writing garbage like this. I may not be a Yugo fan, but it does not mean we should bash those who like and preserve them. I hope this gets a retraction and apology from Hagerty.
    Charlie Johnson Oak Creek wi. April 8, 2016 at 10:26
    Hey what the heck is wrong with you? Yes this is a free country, yes you are able to speak freely. But what gives you the right to publicly bastardize someone else's work. Design, dream. . I say thier Ladd. You need to think b4 you speak next time. I'm not saying it's pretty. I'm saying youas a car guy should know better. When it comes to cars and the builders. You know how they feel. By the way what was the name of the last Custom Car you built ????
    Robert Jenson Phoenix AZ April 8, 2016 at 23:25
    I honestly can't say that I like it either, but it's one persons effort of love and passion, and there are undoubtedly others that will love and cherish it too. To condemn and make fun of it is wrong in my opinion. The major car manufacturers have made enough of their own ugly cars, and yet they are purchased and enjoyed by many people. Ugly to one person can be beauty to another. I think you've stepped out of bounds here.
    Bobby Bluegrass April 9, 2016 at 13:15
    Why? Why not? It my not be the writers cup of tea (or mine), but it's another car not in the crusher and it's interesting enough for somebody to write a story about. Got your attention, didn't it? I'd drive this before I'd drive one of the current crop of bore-mobiles out there. Yet another car bashing Hagerty article. What's up with these guys lately? I'm starting to think that the "car guys" at Hagerty only think a car is worth having if it's a pre '70 British sports car.
    Gary Chittenden Moonstone Ontario Canada April 9, 2016 at 17:22
    I shared this "car" on facebook a couple of weeks ago and with "cars that are changed in ways that dumbfound." I hope that this Merc was a right off before they did this.
    Mike Michigan April 9, 2016 at 05:41
    I agree with most of the comments. Hagerty just went down a few points with me. Thought we joined Hagerty because they are(were) a car enthusiastic company? I also agree they need to post an apology for this article. I am an AMC fan, I just so happen to find the gremlin, pacer, matador, and whatever else unique ! Why? Because I like cars!!!
    George NOTL Ontario April 11, 2016 at 15:28
    I agree with most of the comments. The author is the one with the hangup here. I've seen a lot worse at some car meets.
    Doc Jersey swamp April 12, 2016 at 10:46
    I like the car. I like the Pontiac Aztek too. and Donald trump. I like ugly
    John H Ohio April 14, 2016 at 11:12
    While it might not satisfy some design critics, it at least looks like it could be driven cross country with a degree of comfort, which can't be said for some "hotrods" that are seen at "classic" car shows. Perhaps rather than rag on this particular exercise in mixology the author should have just asked for opinions. I wouldn't buy it, but I also wouldn't buy a Chevy HHR or most PT Cruisers, only because they don't fit with my particular tastes. However, I don't go around telling people that they are crap for designs! They just don't please me. But in that 'style' this really isn't all that bad. Ease up Yoav!
    Michael Adirondacks, New York April 15, 2016 at 04:07
    Well it's not something I'd be interested in but obviously the craftsmen that built this thing certainly deserve credit for their skills in arriving at a well put together finished product. The whole thing is like the modern phenomenon of selecting a designer dog for a pet. What used to be a mongrel or a Heinz 57 variety mutt can now be purchased as Labradoodles and dog fanciers can find ShepLabs, Cockapoos....the list is endless. Beauty remiss in the eye of the beholder.
    dan cave creek, az April 28, 2016 at 11:28
    If you gauge bad mods to good mods say 1-10, you now have a new 1.
    David Sawyer Taylors, SC April 28, 2016 at 12:25
    While not to my personal taste, Yoav, to create this showes huge imagination and effort on the part of the builder. I doubt that much, if any, parts of a real 39 Mercury were used or abused here. We need to be a little more charitable toward fellow "car guys" in the future.