23 March 2016

Video: Barn Find Hunter - Savannah, GA

Tom Cotter literally wrote the book(s) on barn finds. In our new series, Tom travels the country in his 1939 Ford Woodie Wagon, searching for forgotten classics in barns, backyards and scrapyards. This time, Tom's in Savannah, Ga., where he finds a British classic that's made its way to the U.S. from Australia and a muscle car lover's dream.

Jim Comer Gastonia, NC March 23, 2016 at 18:21
    Great story Tom. You really have the back to find them!!! Just start your own classic car ( junk? ) yard.
    Tim W NashVegas, TN March 23, 2016 at 18:54
    Really enjoyed the video. The Simca brought back memories of my childhood as our pastor had one in the mid 60s. I remember it being very small and no one knowing what it was. I'm sure it was all he could afford with 3 kids on a small church preacher's salary.
    Will Humiston Port Townsend, WA March 23, 2016 at 19:01
    Very nicely done. Would like to see more like this!
    Dan Saucier now Seattle, WA March 23, 2016 at 19:25
    Your job is my dream of heaven. At 64 I have crawled over more cars than you, period. My family business garage in the 60's in CT married me to cars. It's not a hobby, it's an addiction, but a pure love. Most of the cars you looked at in this video were parts cars; that is not realistically restorable in today's market, and you should let the "not so well informed" know this. To tackle a 59 Caddy in that shape, a Rebel, or most of the others of the cars you showed, is not barn find fodder, but economic suicide, and you should at least let the novice viewers know this! I could teach this guy a few things, period.
    Ronnie jacksonville, florida March 23, 2016 at 19:29
    Great article. I have been there 50 times and never found the cars shown here. Great job.....very interesting.
    Dave Seyse Ormond Beach, Fl March 23, 2016 at 19:47
    I'm looking forward to more of Tom's travels. Fun stuff.
    Kevin CT March 23, 2016 at 20:27
    Great video, the beauties are out there hiding. One small correction to offer. The 1959 Lincoln Continental, not the 1959 Cadillac was the longest car built post WW II. Not by much but they are 2-4 inches longer.
    Larry Smith Bloomfield Hills, MI March 23, 2016 at 20:36
    Mr. Cotter needs to get some of his facts straight. He claims that the 1959 Cadillac was designed by Pininfarina in Italy. The truth is that it was designed in house at GM and penned by the late Dave Holls.
    Art Ohio March 23, 2016 at 21:42
    Pitch this show to the Velocity Channel. You've got a winner!
    Randy Crump Illinois March 23, 2016 at 22:11
    I think the Pink Charger is a 1967 model. What is the name of the yard in GA where the Charger is located?
    Ken Pickering Traverse City Mi March 23, 2016 at 22:17
    Hey Tom, Pininfarina did NOT design the 1960 Cadillac. It was designed by Chuck Jordan, Cadillac Studio Chief Designer with Dave Holls and Ron Hill. I know because I was there! Pininfarina (Serigo) did design the ill fated Cadillac "Allante".
    Ned Peko New Zealand March 23, 2016 at 22:21
    I would just like to point out that the morris Minor is not an Australian car, it is from New Zealand. The AU that you pointed to on the Registration label are the first two letters of the NZ Licence Plate which read AU6277. I think the VIC stands for vehicle inspection certificate which I believe this vehicle was exempt from. It would have been subject to a Warrant of Fitness which is the other sticker on the bottom corner on the drivers side of the windshield.
    Denny N. Oregon March 24, 2016 at 16:06
    Great stuff, want to see more! Tom has won me over when he said he's a Morris Minor fan. I have had many. I presently have three air-cooled VWs and one Morris. The VW wins on build quality but the Morris is just as reliable mechanically and more fun to drive.
    Scott K SoCal March 24, 2016 at 18:58
    Lots of off-the-cuff misinformation here; Pininfarina did not design the '59 Cad. The '59-60 Eldorado Broughams were done by the firm, but not the standard '59 Cadillac. It was done in-house by GM styling. AMC last used the 287-327 in '66. That Rebel probably had a 290. This was a completely new, for '67, engine design that also later spawned the 304, 343, 390, 401.
    Sean Calgary March 24, 2016 at 20:55
    Hi. The Morris minor that you see in the video is actually from New Zealand. The I.d tag that he refers to is the registration tag. The 6/00 means that the registration ran out on June 2000. The AU6277 he refers to as being for Australia is what the licence plate would have been when the car was in NZ. The Vic not really sure what that was for, might have something to do with the G or vehicle classification. I think they also have the VIN number on it as well above the G. NZ used to have just a Colored sticker with a number on it but it was to easy to go down to the pub and see your "mate" for a handle and a mates rates rego.
    Mike Buell Stirling, Ontario March 24, 2016 at 21:26
    '59 Cadillac design by Pinan Farina?? I don't think so... Harley Earl's final shot before retiring.
    Sal Perrotta West Babylon, New York March 24, 2016 at 10:59
    I have a 56 Thunderbird and of course I am a Hagerty customer
    Art Schlachter Danville, Ky March 24, 2016 at 11:20
    I suspect Tom Cotter's 39 Ford Woodie Wagon has a modern drive train in order to cover the miles he does. It is a beautiful Ford Wagon. All vintage car enthusiast would envy Tom in his search for "barn find" cars. With old salvage yards fading into the sunset, it is always a pleasure to find a yard such as this.
    AIRCOR Kettle & Stony Point, ON.CA March 24, 2016 at 12:25
    Nice woody. Like a guy who is fond of Fords. Enjoy looking at the old cars. Thanks for the series, look forward to them.
    Gordon Linton Greely Ontairo Canada March 24, 2016 at 12:58
    I was watching your video on barn find hunter and I am Looking for a 1968-69-70 dodge charger with not too much work to do for not a lot of money .... I know this is a big bill to fill but if you could find one like that I would be very interested in it . Preferably a 1970 but not imperative. Please feel free to let me know. Thanks Gord
    larry buchanan Lewiston, ID 83501 March 25, 2016 at 21:09
    Tom- what kind of engine is in that 39?
    merle st peter mn March 25, 2016 at 11:23
    im lookin for a 1971/72/73 mustang hood w/ scoops and twist locks holes it ps no rust can some help me txs
    Robert D. Livingston Riverside, California March 25, 2016 at 00:20
    Great articles...
    Mike Wright Kenosha Wi. March 26, 2016 at 20:07
    Tom in this the two Chargers you found were 67,s I know because I have a 66 and 67.They made 34,000 66,s and only 13000 67,s.Mike
    Mark Steeton New Zealand March 27, 2016 at 08:16
    Hi Tom Just a quicky The Morris Minor is a New Zealand new one The AU is actually its registration number It looks like it was first registered in April '58 Vic not too sure but could be something about it being a vintage/classic I think the Aussies use a different rego label and the poor little car hasn't been there that long as the rego expired here May 2000 Regards Mark
    Steve Michigan March 27, 2016 at 09:46
    Thanks! I really enjoy watching barn find hunter!
    Vincent De Rossi Melbourne / Australia March 28, 2016 at 05:42
    Thoroughly enjoyed this episode, hope there is more to come.
    Reginald Demery Lake Mary, Fl March 28, 2016 at 18:22
    I enjoyed watching this episode because Savannah is my home town. Always good to see videos that I know exactly where that location is. I'm into classic cars now and have a 66 Mustang that I'm currently working on. Look forward to watching other episodes.
    Ronald Sieber Hillsborough, NC March 29, 2016 at 10:10
    Tom: Congrats on the new series. But how do we subscribe? I couldn't get it to link. Please not using Facebook... (Editor's Note: Ronald, you can subscribe to our YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/hagerty)
    David Glenn Clawson, Mi. March 30, 2016 at 12:21
    The AMC Rebel in the video has a '68 grille and trim, that year it would have been available with a 232,290,343 or possibly, late in that model year, a 390 which became available midyear on Javelin and AMX models, and I believe on the larger cars, Rebel and Ambassador, also, but few would likely have been installed in those cars due to limited availability of that engine. The 327 was only built from 1957-1966.
    Dave V Ct April 14, 2016 at 10:04
    I had a 1968 Rebel as a first car. No P/S, no P/B. It sat for months before I got it. Jumped it, and drove it home. Had a bullet proof 232 straight six in it
    Gary Loomis Ft.Myers Fl. April 15, 2016 at 19:17
    Bring it on-----Excellent-----Got 12 cars and I understand
    Bill Norby Lodi Ca July 7, 2016 at 13:12
    Love your series. Where can I get a sweat shirt with Barn Find logo on it.
    Sam Maine August 10, 2016 at 23:09
    That Morry is an NZ car - Not an Aussie car. Very unusual to find one with such little rust here as nowhere is more than a couple of hours from the coast.