15 March 2016

OUR CARS: Rudy Bishop’s 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne

Rudy Bishop was born in 1958, the same year that Chevrolet launched the Biscayne. That year also happened to have one-year-only styling, just like fun-loving Rudy, so the two were a match made in heaven. An added bonus: the ’58 Biscayne has an automatic transmission, so Rudy’s wife, Rita, can enjoy driving it too. Double bonus: Rita’s mother helped the couple buy it. Thanks, Mom!

Employee: Rudy Bishop

Title: Outbound Licensed Sales Agent

Years at Hagerty: 13

Car: 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne

Why did you choose this car? I first saw a 1958 Chevrolet Biscayne in Greeley, Colo., where my wife, Rita, and I were going to college. I knew it was launched the same year that I was born, and I waved fondly to the car almost daily. After working at Hagerty for about five years, I saw another one for sale here in Traverse City, Mich. The owner had done some restoration and was insured with us. He had others who were interested, but when he learned I worked here and my love for that year, he sold it to us.

Repairs and Modifications: I’ve put some money into repairing the speedometer and some interior work.

Hobby activities: I’ve shown the car at a few local shows, but we use it for ice cream and dinner runs with friends and family. In the eight years we’ve owned it, we’ve averaged less than 500 miles per year.

Interesting Car Stories: Shortly after buying the car I took her to the Cherry Bowl Drive-In about 18-20 miles from here, and on our way home we ran out of gas, even though the gauge showed a quarter tank. I had to walk to buy gas and get us home.

Favorite Drive: Our favorite drive is around Crystal Lake (about a half hour from Traverse City). My wife has driven it the farthest (about an hour) to Petoskey and Bay Harbor for a work conference.

Jim Allen Traverse City, MI March 15, 2016 at 20:40
    We look forward to seeing you cruising around the Bay Area!
    Bill Roesink Wilmington, NC March 16, 2016 at 15:45
    Rudy, enjoyed your story. I graduated from Charlevoix high school in 1961. Toot the next time you go through and stop at the DQ. My old buddies (really old) will enjoy seeing your 'our era' car.
    Stuart Aven Denver,Colo. March 16, 2016 at 17:49
    Great choise of a car. I am the original owner of a 58 Impala that is also insured with Hagerty.
    Scott Jones Greenwood, Indiana March 16, 2016 at 17:59
    I tried to buy a '58 Biscayne, 2-Dr., 6-cyl. from a dealer that an older gentleman I knew traded it to. I thought it would have a reasonable price because it wouldn't be highly sought after, being a 6-cyl. Boy was I wrong; they wanted an outrageous price for it and it was far from pristine. I always liked Chevy sixes and have settled for some older ones for a lot less $'s than that '58. There was a time that not many people were attracted to '58's but I didn't take advantage of that period; now they rival the Tri-Fives since they've all been gobbled up! Scott
    Jim Beamish Devon, Alberta March 16, 2016 at 18:23
    In 1962 I bought a '58 Chev. Biscayne, brown with white top and a 348 engine. It was a beautiful car to look at and drive, had a pretty good top end too but traded it in a year later when the Turbo Glide Transmission started to go. Many good memories of that old gal.
    Neal Morris Bedford, TX March 16, 2016 at 18:45
    There are 52 weekends a year and lots of things to see in your state. Try to get 5,200 miles a year and really enjoy your great looking car...
    Sally Cole Traverse City March 16, 2016 at 19:35
    Wait a minute ~ there are some gals who can drive a standard shift! Some of you @ Hagerty's will remember my grandpa's '51 Ford Tudor when it was in the front drum & at several of the car shows, while still on site.
    wayne lane pittstown new york March 16, 2016 at 08:11
    I love your story about your 58 chevy i also have a 1958 chevy BELAIR I GOT IN 20000 . i LOVE TO TELL YOU MY STORY ABOUT HOW I GOT MIND AND WERE I GOT IT. tHANK WAYNE
    Steve Plumb Santa Cruz, California March 16, 2016 at 21:37
    So Joni Mitchell talks about a '57 Biscayne in her song 'Raised on Robbery'. Did she make it up?
    Phil Hunsinger Gaines Mi March 16, 2016 at 22:28
    My first car was a 58 Chevy Delray. I purchased it in 1963 for $600. It was a 283 powerglide. I was 18 and I loved that car.
    KENNETH cOLEMAN Mt Pleasant Nc March 21, 2016 at 22:32
    My 58 Belair is insured with hagerty and just returned from the Run to the Sun yesterday. This was my 3rd showing for this car at this event.Before that I showed my 39 chevy cpe
    Dave H Boise, ID March 29, 2016 at 21:03
    My first car was a '58 Biscayne. I bought it in '78 from my dad for $1 at age 15. I rebuilt the top end and drove it back and forth on the side yard. I sold it for $300 before I got my license. Me and my brothers always thought it was a heap and wished my dad had bought a '57 Belair (which was the car to have back them). Wish I had the '58 now.
    Bob Cotone Holbrook,Ma. March 31, 2016 at 08:23
    My Dad Had A 58 Chevy And Was That Fast. Gert That On The Open Road And With The Weight Of The Car You Felt Like You Were Doing A 1000 MPH. One Thing I Did Not Like About The Car Was That Panorama Front Windshield On How You Cracked Your Knee Getting Into The Car, Both Knees, Drivers & Pass. Side.