6 January 2016

Top Ten Car Songs of Rock and Roll

In this day and age, you may find yourself feeling way overdue for a good old fashioned car song; not the kind of song that just happens to mention a car while singing about something else, but a musical foot-tapping masterpiece that pays homage to a specific automobile. Allow us to reflect back on some now-classic rock ’n’ roll car songs.

“Hot Rod Lincoln,” Charlie Ryan/Commander Cody and his Lost Planet AirmenThe Hot Rod Lincoln in question was a Ford Model A coupe body fitted onto a 1941 Lincoln frame, and it was owned by singer and songwriter Charlie Ryan, who wrote and performed the original song in 1955. One fine honky-tonk band, Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, performed the most popular version of the song in 1971 and won over crowds everywhere with their energy, humor and boogie-woogie piano beats.

Best Lyric: “My pappy said, 'Son you gonna drive me to drinkin' if you don't stop drivin' that Hot Rod Lincoln.'"

“Rocket 88,” Ike Turner/Jackie Brenston: In 1949, Oldsmobile released the fastest car of its time and advertised it as having an overhead-valve V-8 Rocket engine, branding it with the slogan “Make a Date with a Rocket 88.” By inspiring the song “Rocket 88 “ — which is thought to be the major link between rhythm-and-blues and rock-and-roll — Oldsmobile hit two historical milestones with one vehicle.

Best Lyric: “Now that you've ridden in my Rocket 88, I'll be around every night about eight. You know it's great, don't be late. Everybody likes my Rocket 88”

“Pink Cadillac,” Bruce Springsteen: From blues to rock to rap, more songs have been written about the classy Cadillac than any other car, and one of the many tunes deserving honorable mention was written by the Boss himself in 1984. In this song, Bruce is captivated by a girl because of her car, and it’s no wonder why.

Best Lyric: “Now some folks say it's too big and uses too much gas. Some folks say it's too old, that it goes too fast. But my love is bigger than a Honda, it's bigger than a Subaru.”

“Mustang Sally,” Wilson Pickett: It was prime time for the first pony car when this song was released in 1966. Mack Rice actually wrote “Mustang Sally,” but Wilson Pickett made it legendary in 1966 with his strong singing voice and fine groove. In the song, Sally is a bad girl of sorts who drives a Mustang around town, but Wilson wants her to slow down. Think of all of the proud Mustang owners of the 1960s rolling down the streets with this tune traveling through their rolled-down windows. Now whether you own a Mustang or not, go find the song, hit play, and sing it at the top of your lungs.

Best Lyric: “All you wanna do is ride around Sally, ride Sally, ride.”

“Little Deuce Coupe,” The Beach Boys: The Beach Boys have written some of the best car songs of all time, and “Little Deuce Coupe” is a favorite of the hot rod crowd, along with the car itself. The original 1932 Ford Coupe “Deuce” is what the Beach Boys celebrate during the ’60s car culture craze, but little did they know that even decades after the song’s 1963 release, fans of the little coupe would still be tapping their feet to this song.

Best Lyric: “She's got a competition clutch with the four on the floor, and she purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar.”

“Hey Little Cobra,” The Rip Chords: This surf-rock band released this catchy number about America’s favorite roadster in 1964. The little Cobra struck the hearts of many, and to their fan’s delight, the Rip Chords embraced the automotive infatuation of the times. Spring little Cobra, with all of your might.

Best Lyric: “The Stingrays and Jags were so far behind, I took my Cobra out of gear and I coast to the line.”

“GTO,” Ronny and the Daytonas: GTOs are thought of as the first American muscle car by many collectors, and this twangy tune was released in 1964, the same year that Pontiac’s most-famous performance model was released. Ronny and the Daytona’s appreciation for the car paid off as the debut single reached No. 1 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart and sold more than 1 million copies.

Best Lyric: “Little GTO, you're really lookin' fine. Three deuces and a four-speed and a three-eighty-nine. Listen to her tachin' up now, listen to her whine.”

Go Lil’ Camaro by The Ramones: Uumamamau-papaumamau! Like most of the Ramones songs, it’s so simple that it’s genius. This is the band that had a large hand in changing the sound of rock and roll forever, and they continued that trend with this song’s release in 1987. Girls, cars, sun and fun means good fun for everyone.

Best Lyric: “Go lil’ Camaro go, Oohhh!”

“Red Barchetta,” Rush: Released in 1981, not only is this song about a fellow who finds his uncle hid an old red Fiat Barchetta in a barn, but it also reveals the fears of car lovers everywhere as motor laws change. Set in the future, this tune takes place in a world where stringent safety regulations force cars to evolve into massive modern safety vehicles, making poor little sports cars like the classic Barchetta illegal to drive on the roads.

Best Lyric: “I fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar. Tires spitting gravel, I commit my weekly crime.”

“Mercury Blues,” The Steve Miller Band: Originally titled “Mercury Boogie,” this song was first written in 1948 by K. C. Douglas and Robert Geddins. There have been several covers, but in 1976, the Steve Miller Band’s bluesy, soulful rock style gave it a nice, meaningful twist.

Best Lyric: “I'm going to buy me a Mercury, and I'll cruise up and down this road.”

Mark Bartman Slippery Rock, Pa January 6, 2016 at 14:20
    I was always partial to "Big Block" by Jeff Beck
    Henry Miami January 6, 2016 at 14:26
    I don't think Red Barchetta is about a Fiat Barchetta. Pretty sure Fiat's version didn't come out until many years after the song.
    Dave Pa. January 6, 2016 at 14:32
    what......no "She's real fine my 409"???????
    Tim Michigan January 6, 2016 at 14:33
    What about Jan and Dean - Dead Man's Curve; Little Old Lady from Pasadena; Drag City. These songs charted, not like some of the ones you listed. Rocket 88, Mercury Blues, Red Barchetta - come on, get real!
    Jeff Timm Maine January 6, 2016 at 14:33
    giddy up, giddy up 409
    Bill Reiher Ft Myers Florida January 6, 2016 at 14:40
    Maybe not well known and probably not in your Top Ten but my top car tunes are 'Ol 55 by the Eagles and Long May You Run by Neil Young. Thanks for your list.
    Jeff Winston-Salem, NC January 6, 2016 at 14:48
    And a couple of other favorites... Radar Love (Golden Earring) and Life is a Highway (Tom Cochrane). Nothing like great driving tunes!
    Curt California January 6, 2016 at 14:48
    My two cents, but there are dozens more! 409 - The Beach Boys SS396 - Paul Revere & The Raiders No Money Down - Chuck Berry Hot Rod Lincoln - Johnny Bond (best version IMHO)
    David James Crsted Butte, Colorado January 6, 2016 at 14:57
    How about the Beach Boys "409"? Best line: My 4 speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409
    roguev8 PA January 6, 2016 at 14:58
    Beep! Beep!, because it's a true story. It has the best line; "Hey, Buddy! How do you get this car out of second gear!" Larry, PA
    Bob Bell indianapolis Indiana January 6, 2016 at 14:59
    You Forgot (409) she's real fine, my 409
    David Fitzjohn Kalamazoo, MI January 6, 2016 at 15:01
    You didn't include "Little Red Corvette".
    Greg millard San Diego January 6, 2016 at 15:03
    Deadman's Curve & Rambler Passing Caddy
    Graphmark Michigan January 6, 2016 at 15:03
    What about 409 ( She's real fine, my 409) by the Beach Boys?? Also Dead Man's Curve by Jan & Dean? ( And all the Jag could see was my 6 tail lights)
    Hal Smith Citrus heights January 6, 2016 at 15:04
    A welcome flashback to better times (1950), when I was young and so was she! (re: my '40 Merc convertable)
    Ed Z Florida January 6, 2016 at 15:05
    I can't believe you don't have "409" by the Beach Boys listed!!! I grew up in the Rock and Roll era and I have never heard of some of these songs. I am guessing that Tara didn't...
    tom mason sacramento Ca January 6, 2016 at 15:10
    The Beach Boys how about that 409 or maybe Shut down, any body else have some more??
    dampatents Albuquerque January 6, 2016 at 15:16
    Janis Joplin???!!! "Gotta buy me a Mercedes...My friends drive Porsches and I must make amends..."
    Jack Wisconsin January 6, 2016 at 15:22
    What about Shutdown. One of the most accurate car songs. Also, in my opinion, Alan Jackson's version of Mercury Blues is the best.
    Scott Vacaville, CA January 6, 2016 at 15:23
    Uh, what about the Beach Boys' 409?
    Steve Koffman Spokane, WA January 6, 2016 at 15:27
    One piece at a time- Johnny Cash this is another classic!
    Jerry Neal Henderson, CO January 6, 2016 at 15:27
    As a Rush fan, I clicked on this link just to see if "“Red Barchetta" was listed. I figured it would be a long-shot. Nice work Tara! Kudos on a great article. Jerry Neal, Henderson, CO
    Diana Matthies New Jersey January 6, 2016 at 15:34
    Little Old Lady From Pasadena
    Ed New york January 6, 2016 at 15:35
    One more to add "409". The only engine they ever made a song about !
    Mark Burrow Waco Texas January 6, 2016 at 15:35
    You have to include "Vehicle" by the Ides of March
    Tim Blackburn Springfield, OH January 6, 2016 at 15:36
    I have three of these on original vinyl....Haven't yet thought about whether there are serious omissions......Maybe "Little Red Corvette" or "Born To Be Wild"?
    Dusty Northeast January 6, 2016 at 15:36
    You left out My 409 by the Beach Boys, and on the flip side was Corvair Baby....
    Kenton Vellner Redford, MI January 6, 2016 at 15:36
    How could you forget the Beach Boys - 409 or Jan and Dean - Three Window Coupe??
    Gary Platz Colonial Heights,Va. January 6, 2016 at 15:36
    How about "Shut Down" by The Beach Boys?Fuel injected Stingray and a 413."Three Window Coupe" by the Rip Chords. "Shlock Rod" - a comical car song from Jan and Dean."PT Cruiser" from Al Jardine of the Beach Boys. "Pink Cadillac" from Aretha Franklin. Hope you like these selections.
    Randy Abercrombie South Carolina January 6, 2016 at 15:44
    I came to age in the early 1970's and fully agree with all the songs mentioned. Have to add my favorite hot rod cruising song.... Highway Star by Deep Purple.
    Bud Ehrmann Sunny Florida January 6, 2016 at 15:44
    What about "Shee's Real Fine, My 409" and "Little Old Lady From Pasadena"? "Dead Man's Curve" is a little macabre, but still a great song.
    John Oakland, NJ January 6, 2016 at 15:45
    One that you have overlooked is Little Old Lady from Pasadena by Jan and Dean.
    Fred Memphis,Tn January 6, 2016 at 15:46
    How about "Radar Love" by Golden Earring
    Marty Maryland January 6, 2016 at 15:51
    What, about, "Parked in her rickety old garage is a bland new, shiny red, super stock Dodge"?
    Peter ODell troy ny January 6, 2016 at 15:53
    Pink Cadillac by Springsteen---Come ON -- that song belongs to the late great Natalie Cole
    Lagunamike Austin, TX January 6, 2016 at 15:53
    You forgot "My 409"
    tom felts pittsburgh, pa January 6, 2016 at 15:55
    How could you overlook Jan and Dean's "Dead Mans Curve"---or---"XKE"---both great Jag classics
    baz FL January 6, 2016 at 16:00
    Maybellene instead of Rocket 88; 409 instead of Go Lil Camaro; Fun Fun Fun instead of Red Barchetta; otherwise good stuff.
    Raymond Florida January 6, 2016 at 16:02
    How did you miss, Little Red Corvette by Prince? Best Lyric: "Baby have you got enough gas?"
    Denton Salt Flats January 6, 2016 at 16:04
    How could anyone not include one of the many Chuck Berry hits in this discussion? No one loved and wrote better Caddy memories, "No Money Down" and Maybellene just to name a couple. Can't you just picture a "coffee colored Cadillac", or "the rain water blowin' under my hood, I knew that was doin' my motor good".
    Randy Abercrombie South Carolina January 6, 2016 at 16:05
    Bobbi Lodi, NJ January 6, 2016 at 16:08
    Bruce Springsteen loves his Caddies. Don't forget "Cadillac Ranch".
    Dave Crevie Illinois January 6, 2016 at 16:09
    What? I can't believe you didn't pick "Shut down" by the Beach Boys. Greatest car song ever written! (LOL)
    George Streeter RRutherfordton, NC January 6, 2016 at 16:09
    How about "The Little Old Lady From Pasadena", and her "Shiny Red Super Stock Dodge"?
    rick Gretz Franktown, CO January 6, 2016 at 16:09
    The number one is missing on this list ! Beach Boys "409"
    Scott McGrath Somewhere in the Subtropics January 6, 2016 at 16:11
    0 reader comments!? I *live* for great rock car-classics when I drive. Great choices and I'll add... "Bad Ass '71 Dodge Superbee" by the Boss Martians "Built For Speed" by The Stray Cats "Daddy's Cup" by the Drive-By Truckers (which has a country-ish ballad-y feel to it, but is so obviously written by a motorhead that it needs to be included). "Fastest Horse in a One Horse Town" by Laughing Hyena (Country Rock, but little known and SO good that it needs to be here). "Fuel Injected Suicide Machine" by the Demonics (if only for the opening sound-byte from Mad Max) "Fun, Fun Fun" by the Beach Boys (because it fits with the hits you've listed) "Hot" by Smash Mouth "I Can't Drive 55" by Sammy... Unequaled for getting me into dangerous places "Go" by Kelly Clarkson (Mostly because it has a great Music Vid) "Maybelline" by Chuck Berry (and Foghat) "My Ride From Outer Space" by Danny Jacob (Phineas and Ferb) "She Runs Hot" by Little Village (Great Double Entendre) "Steve McQueen" by Sheryl Crow (Not about a car but who cares) "TR3A" by the Spinal Tappets (I'm an LBC fan anyway and "MGBGT" isn't hard enough for me "1970 Monte Carlo" by The Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash (Just the way I felt about mine) "455 Rocket"by Kathy Mattea (Blues, but SO car-worshippy I don't care) and "409" by the Beach Boys (yet again)
    Jeff Longwood, FL January 6, 2016 at 16:11
    Can't believe Dead Man's Curve isn't on that list?????
    Dick Boneske Winneconne, WI January 6, 2016 at 16:16
    You forgot Maybellene by Chuck Berry, 409 by the Beach Boys, and Beep Beep by the Playmates. Quite a lot more familiar than Mercury Blues or Go Lil' Camaro.
    CJ SoCal January 6, 2016 at 16:18
    A fantastic version of Mercury Blues was done by David Lindley.
    Smokefoot AZ January 6, 2016 at 16:26
    You missed three great Beach Boys songs: 409, Fun fun fun, and Shut Down.
    clancy gordon bowling green, ohio January 6, 2016 at 16:26
    One cute song was "beep beep (the little nash rambler) by The Playmates.
    Chuck Haase Valencia Ca. January 6, 2016 at 16:27
    I agree with everything except Go lil Camaro and Red Barchetta ...THose are LAME What about Drag City or Dead mans curve by Jan and Dean One piece at a time by Johnny Cash Beep Beep The Playmates Maybellene Chuck Berry Little old lady from Pasedena ,Shutdown, Fun Fun Fun Beachboys Lowrider WAR Thunder Road Robert Mitchum SS396 , Paul Revere and the Raiders
    Will Irby Madison, MS January 6, 2016 at 16:27
    Due to the absence of Chuck Berry's "Maybellene", this list cannot be taken seriously! However, throw in The Beach Boys' "Shut Down", "409", and "Fun, Fun, Fun", and it would be a little better.
    Bruce McLaughlan Farmington Hills, Michigan January 6, 2016 at 16:27
    "Making Thunderbirds" by Bob Seger celebrates more than the car, but the Detroit blue collar lifestyle that it fueled.
    MrMopar North Idaho January 6, 2016 at 16:27
    "Rocket 88" is a great choice and belongs on the list, but I never even heard of "Red Barchetta". And where's "409"? What the hey?
    Jerry king La Habra, Ca January 6, 2016 at 16:28
    Can't for my life remember the name but played at almost every So Cal car show. Pretty sure it was recorded by Johnny Cash and is about young guys patching together a hot rod? Anyone know more?
    Wendell Bozeman January 6, 2016 at 16:31
    Dan Seals- Old Yellow Car- not an oldie, but nice.... Not much to look at, not much to drive, the window was missing on the passenger side....
    Deb Connecticut January 6, 2016 at 16:32
    I always liked 409 by the Beach Boys. Giddyup giddyup 409 Nothing can catch her, nothing can stop my 409....
    Charles Nevada January 6, 2016 at 16:34
    My all time favorite was Thunder Road! It even had a movie to go with it. Those locations in the song are all very real and the people around Knoxville, TN will tell you that.
    Bill MI January 6, 2016 at 16:34
    What, no "Little Old Lady from Pasadena"? Best line in street racing songdom: "...she'll give 'em a length and she'll shut 'em down".
    Jeff Hancock Valljo, Ca January 6, 2016 at 16:34
    In 1960, at 13 years old, saved my money, and bought a version of Hot Rod Lincoln, by Johnny Bond for about a dollar. Have all three versions from YouTube on my phone. Didn't know about the Charlie Ryan version, until I saw it on YouTube. It is more accurate car wise than the others. If you flip the Johnny Bond version over, there is one more reason for not smoking, in a song entitled, Five Minute Love Affair. Love YouTube.
    Quinton Jacobs Pullman, Washington January 6, 2016 at 16:37
    Who can Forget Sammy Hagar's song, Trans Am, or I Can't Drive 55!
    jimmie jag Kirkwood, MO January 6, 2016 at 16:39
    I have to agree with several of these comments: Tom Felts is right about "Dead Man's Curve" and Denton is correct about Chuck Berry, a fellow St Louisian.
    Paul Simeone Connecticut January 6, 2016 at 16:41
    Chuck Berry's "Maybellene" has to make the list. It'll be interesting to see your readers (insureds) Top 10.
    JeffH SoCal January 6, 2016 at 16:45
    Gotta have Chuck Berry, without him we wouldn't have a lot of our rock and roll. I'd vote Maybelline, get the Cadillac and Ford mentions. Cadillac rollin' on the open road, nothin' outruns my V-8 Ford.... Rain water blowin' all under the hood and I knew that was doin' my motor good.
    Dave wisconsin January 6, 2016 at 16:52
    This may have actually been listed as Country, but it sure had a good beat, "455 Rocket" by Kathy Mattea. Best lyric - Even the cop asked me "man, what you have in that thing
    Big Lars CT January 6, 2016 at 16:53
    Don't forget "Ridin' in my car" by NRBQ. "And I still think about you when I'm ridin' in my car"
    Tom Petro Detroit January 6, 2016 at 16:54
    Runnin down a Dream by Tom Petty It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down I had the radio on, I was drivin' Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway I was flyin'
    Bob Gibson Texas January 6, 2016 at 16:54
    You missed the best car song no one ever heard of. Don Walser's 'Make That Mercury Roar'
    Karl Pallastrini Carmel California January 6, 2016 at 16:56
    What about Janis Joplin..."oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz".......
    Frank San Clemente January 6, 2016 at 17:04
    Come on Hagerty!! -Rush is referring to a Ferrari Barchetta, not a Fiat!! "...my uncle preserved for me and old machine for fifty odd years, to keep it as new has been his dearest dream..." Otherwise, great list!
    Ross Colorado January 6, 2016 at 17:07
    How 'bout "Hot Rod Race"? by Jimmie Dolan Best lyric "Now we were Ford men and we likely knew, that we would race until somethin' blew,"
    Bill w/a Duce Rdstr. Texas January 6, 2016 at 17:11
    Hot rod race, Now me & my brother George, took of Ina ford from San Pedro---we had twin pots & a clumubut, u people might think I'm in a rut to u folks that don't dig the jive that's 2 carbs & a overdrive---etc.
    Ken NC January 6, 2016 at 17:14
    I agree this list is lacking - BIG TIME. SOme good ones listed here, and would like to add "One Piece At A Time" by Johnny Cash
    John Kindell Henderson, NV January 6, 2016 at 17:15
    It's hard to pick just 10. Better to include "Cadillac Boogie" by Jimmy Liggins than Rocket 88. Listen to that song and you will sure know where Ike's inspiration came from two years later.
    Artful Dodger Rockford, IL January 6, 2016 at 17:15
    Jan & Dean, Little old lady from Pasadena. "...but parked in her rickety old garage, is a brand new, shiny red, super stock Dodge" or "..but she'll give 'um a length, then she'll shut them down." your choice which line is better.
    ron goodman santa barbara, ca. January 6, 2016 at 17:16
    You forgot the Medallions Buick 59!
    Ray Ashenhurst Nashua, NH January 6, 2016 at 17:17
    It was 1956 and the local DJ played "Transfusion" by Nervous Norvous, "Make it type O", "Pass the Claret to me Barret" and many more memorable/classic lines. I was doing the dishes in our kitchen and was awestruck.
    CJ Madson Where The Cars Are January 6, 2016 at 17:19
    I'd add a few fun ones : 409 (Beach Boys) and Cadillac Ranch (Springsteen) -- plus one that I used to hear every time I drove home about half past four : Radar Love (Golden Earring). And as a stretch, Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen, but as performed by Wayne & Garth in the Mirth Mobile). But the most powerful words came from Bruce at the end of Thunder Road : There were ghosts in the eyes Of all the boys you sent away They haunt this dusty beach road In the skeleton frames of burned out Chevrolets They scream your name at night in the street Your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet And in the lonely cool before dawn You hear their engines roaring on But when you get to the porch they're gone on the wind So Mary climb in It's town full of losers And I'm pulling out of here to win !
    Tom LaChiusa Rochester, NY January 6, 2016 at 17:20
    How about "I Can't Drive 55".........
    Greg Dallas January 6, 2016 at 17:24
    Who can forget Jan and Dean singing "But parked in a rickety old garage Is a brand new, shiny red, super-stock Dodge" from the Little Old Lady from Pasadena??
    jophhart troy mi January 6, 2016 at 17:26
    left out "Beep, Beep"
    Les Aseere Grants Pass, OR January 6, 2016 at 17:27
    Honorable mention: Beep Beep song, by the Playmates....
    Steve G San Francisco January 6, 2016 at 17:29
    Need to include Trans Am by Sammy Hagar in the late 70's
    Darrell Rochester NY January 6, 2016 at 17:31
    Low Rider was always good, but "Whose Cadillac Is That" also by WAR was really Great. "Low to the ground, Heavy with Sound, Everything from Blues to Rock, We stopped in at Joe's Got some burgers to go And cruised all around the block, And the people say Whose Cadillac is that....."
    Mark Michigan January 6, 2016 at 17:32
    Many good ones missing - Long White Cadillac by Dwight Yoakam (more rock than country), Thunderbird by John Hiatt, 409 by the Beach Boys, Cadillac songs by both Johnny Cash & Stray Cats, & Brand New Cadillac & '49 Merc by Brian Setzer just to name a few (sounds like some old geezer picked the songs above).
    Mike PA January 6, 2016 at 17:35
    How about "Beep Beep" by the Playmates and "Radar Love" by Golden Earring? Also, 2 of the other versions of "Mercury Blues" are sung by 1)David Lindsey and 2)Alan Jackson
    John Illinois January 6, 2016 at 17:37
    What about "little red Corvette" by Prince.
    Gary Bixler Austin, TX January 6, 2016 at 17:38
    Hard to argue with any of these, but as a early bird owner, I have to put in another vote for Fun, Fun, Fun by the Beach Boys.
    John Illinois January 6, 2016 at 17:39
    And "Fun, fun, fun" by the Beach Boys?
    Ron Keeley Texas January 6, 2016 at 17:46
    Run, Run, Run gets my vote! I own a '57 tbird.
    Rick NJ January 6, 2016 at 17:48
    You left out a couple. Shutdown Beach Boys, Little Old Lady From Pasadena Jan & Dean and Dead Man's Curve, Jan & Dean.
    charlie calif January 6, 2016 at 17:48
    i'll second '409' and add 'little deuce coupe'
    Rick NJ January 6, 2016 at 17:49
    Andy Boehlke Wichita, KS January 6, 2016 at 17:49
    Sausalito Summernight by Diesel... cranked up! Best lyric: We left for Frisco in your Rambler The radiator running dry I've never been much of a gambler And had a preference to fly
    Dave Aughenbaugh Baltimore, MD January 6, 2016 at 17:51
    Uhhh...."409" - excluding this song, essentially renders this list worthless.
    Paul Duchene Portland, Oregon January 6, 2016 at 17:52
    Rocket 88 - The Delta Kings were Ike Turner's first band. He was the 18-year old piano player. "Me an' my friends gonna have a little nip, boozing and cruising around..." Tom Waits "Old 55" - "Time passed so quickly I went lickety-splittly out to my old 55. Golden Earring "Radar Love" - "The Radio played that forgotten song - Brenda Lee, comin' on strong..." Shouldn't these be road songs too???????
    Brian Gould Newmarket ON January 6, 2016 at 17:52
    Your list sent me to YouTube to listen to Steve Miller's Mercury Blues. Waaaay too laid back for my tastes in motoring tunes. David Lindley recorded the definitive version IMO. Take a listen to both on YouTube.
    Jan Michigan January 6, 2016 at 17:52
    I couldn't limit it to 10. Don't forget Little Old Lady from Pasadena by Jan & Dean and One Piece at a Time by Johnny Cash.
    Bruce Texas January 6, 2016 at 17:53
    Bruce Springsteen, yes. Pink Cadillac, no. Racing in the Streets, yeah!
    Peter Prigge Marietta, OH January 6, 2016 at 17:56
    The Little Nash Rambler - could not have been stock - must have been a hot rod.
    John D Houston January 6, 2016 at 17:58
    I Can't Drive...55: One foot on the brake and one on the gas, hey! Well, there's too much traffic, I can't pass, no So I tried my best illegal move A big black and white come and crushed my groove
    Dan Kentucky January 6, 2016 at 17:59
    THE PLAYMATES "Beep Beep"
    Chuck Arnold Jacksonville Florida January 6, 2016 at 18:02
    The Beach Boys 409 introduced everyone who was cool to NHRA drag racing. Everyone learned who Duno Don Nicholson drove. It has to be included.
    ed borzychowski niagara January 6, 2016 at 18:02
    yaass!! she's so fine, my 409, little gto next, little deuce coupe
    GB NJ January 6, 2016 at 18:03
    Long MayYou Run... Neil Young
    Tom Long Blacksburg, VA January 6, 2016 at 18:08
    Woh, woh, woh ...what about Sweet TR6 by Mary Bird. All time favorite. (Youtube is your friend). Lets get those views over there above 611 :-)
    Tom PA January 6, 2016 at 18:12
    Beep, Beep. "While riding in my Cadillac, what to my surprise was a little Nash Rambler right beside about one third my size."
    P Johnson Rochester Hills Mi January 6, 2016 at 18:15
    I know it's not rock and roll, but Johnny Cash's 1 piece at a time is a Goldie
    Terry beck south Carolina January 6, 2016 at 18:15
    early 60's "Ballad of a drag race" or Sammy Hagars "I can't drive 55". But you can't forget the greatest racing or driving song of all time--"Radar Love " by Golden Earring
    Marty Seattle, WA January 6, 2016 at 18:17
    What! No: "Seven Little Girls Sittin' in the Back Seat..."
    Mark Burrow Waco TX January 6, 2016 at 18:19
    Good choices, but my favorite is "Vehicle" by the Ides of March from the 70's
    Don Florida January 6, 2016 at 18:22
    And '409' by the Beach Boys
    Al brown Reading,PA. January 6, 2016 at 18:24
    I have a question. Does anyone know where I can fine cassette tapes for my 1988 car cassette player. Thanks
    P Johnson Rochester Hills Mi January 6, 2016 at 18:25
    How about the stones "I got a brand new car" or Cars by Gary Numan or my favorite Highway Star by Deep Purple
    Art Ontario January 6, 2016 at 18:30
    As others have pointed out, the "Top Ten Car Songs" can't include only a single Beach Boys song, and zero Jan & Dean and Chuck Berry songs, if for no other reason than the musicianship is soooo much better than many on the list during the car-song era, and IMHO true classic car songs need that Chuck Berry guitar riff and 4-part harmonies from the 1963-1965 car song heyday. I'd leave 'Hot Rod Lincoln' due to it's historical pedigree, and the fact that it's actually about a car, but would include 'Little Deuce Coupe', 'Fun, Fun, Fun', 'I Get Around', and 'Don't Worry Baby' by the Beach Boys, 'Maybelline' by Chuck Berry, 'Deadman's Curve' and 'Little Old Lady from Pasadena' by Jan & Dean, a song that includes the all-time best car-song lyric: "She's gonna get a ticket now sooner or later, 'cause she can't keep her foot off the accelerator..." and 'Three Window Coupe' by the Rip Chords (also released by Jan & Dean, but Terry Melcher's version is superior) -- a way better song than 'Hey Little Cobra'. Bruce Springsteen's 'Thunder Road' is a lot more of a 'car' song than 'Pink Cadillac', so let's include that one as well. Honorable mention to the Jan & Dean opus 'The Aneheim, Azuza and Cucamonga Sewing Circle, Book Review and Timing Association',("They tool around town in their big Grand Prix', sitting in their bucket seats, shooting the breeze..."), and 'No Go Showboat' album track by the Beach Boys (look it up -- "When it comes to speed, man I'm just out of luck, I'm even shut down by the Ice Cream Truck..."). Honorable mention also to Eric Carmen ('Drivin' Around', 'Cruisin Music'). Still, there are no bad answers.
    Larry Menefee Greeley, Colorado January 6, 2016 at 18:33
    Good selections - another is "Route 66" by "asleep at the wheel" group. Colo TBirders danced to it in a parking lot along Route 66 one evening on our way to Nat"l Convention in LA>
    Tony orlando January 6, 2016 at 18:38
    they missed a lot! Shut DOWN~Beach Boys Hot Rod USA~ The Rip Cords 3 Window Coupe~ The Rip Cords Wide Track~ The Super Stocks SS-396~ Paul Revere & the Raiders
    Brian Judd CA January 6, 2016 at 18:39
    Though obscure, Richard Thompson's "MGB GT" is a fantastic car song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ZI5cPvQus
    Tom Indiana January 6, 2016 at 18:42
    How about David Crosby's Drive My Car or Deep Purple's Highway Star.
    Tony orlando January 6, 2016 at 18:44
    HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLE MISS "409" The Beach Boys
    Richard MD January 6, 2016 at 18:46
    I remember all the above, but how about a truck drivers song from the era-- The late Dave Dudley's "Rolaids, Doan's Pill, and Preperation H" IF you don't know this one, check it out on UTube.
    Scott Cortland, NY January 6, 2016 at 18:50
    Some of these songs are marginal... Should have included " Fun Fun Fun" and " Little Old Lady From Pasadena".
    Paul Allen Toronto ON January 6, 2016 at 18:53
    Wow, you missed a big one - 'She's real fine, my 409" by the Beach Boys.
    Randy Bograd Maryland January 6, 2016 at 18:57
    "Beep, Beep" How do I get this car out of second gear?!!!
    Herb Martin Seattle January 6, 2016 at 18:59
    Then there is One Piece a at Time by Johnny Cash It wasn't a Rock 'n Roll song but it was a Billboard Top 100
    jackrambler Canada January 6, 2016 at 19:00
    How about Aretha Franklin singing "We're riding on the highway of love in my pink Cadillac"? Some think that line is about something other than simple motoring.
    Drew California January 6, 2016 at 19:01
    Another by Jan & Dean: "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena"... "Parked in her rickety old garage is a brand new, shiny red, super-stock Dodge!" Kathryn Minner played the part in local TV ads: "She's the terror of Colorado Boulevard."
    Steve Illinois January 6, 2016 at 19:03
    Johnny Bond, "Hot Rod Lincoln" just has to be among the Top 10!
    Vettski Huntington Beach, CA January 6, 2016 at 19:04
    How about "One Piece at a Time" (about a Cadillac being assembled from parts of varying vintage) by Johnny Cash, "Beep Beep" (about the Cadillac & the Nash Rambler), and "Get Your Kicks on Rte. 66" (not of any specific car, but about cruising) by Bobby Troupe.
    les pickell Victoria BC January 6, 2016 at 19:10
    my goodness, you missed Radar Love Golden Earring
    Eddy Penuel Warrenton Oregon January 6, 2016 at 19:12
    My favorite was "Shut Down" A fuel injected Stingray and a 413-
    george jones north east January 6, 2016 at 19:14
    George Thorogoods tail dragger. Mercury Blues cover by David Lindley, absolutley rocks
    P Johnson Rochester Hills Mi January 6, 2016 at 19:19
    How about; Drive my car by the Beatles Born to be wild by Steppenwolf Manic Mechanic by zz top I can't drive 55 by Sammy Hagar Hey little cobra by the ripcords Route 66 by the stones Low Rider by War Cadillac Walk by Mink Deville I could go on & on, reminds me of Woodward Cruise week here in Motown
    Vinny Murphy Florida January 6, 2016 at 19:20
    Great "oldies" list. For something a bit more modern try "455 Rocket" by Kathy Matea. It's a love song to her first Olds by a woman who can really sing . " She was made for the straight-a-ways She grew up hatin' Chevrolets She's a rocket She was made to burn"
    Craig Bayside, California January 6, 2016 at 19:23
    Green Onions from American Graffiti is my favorite cruise tune.
    bill Chicago January 6, 2016 at 19:24
    So the 409 loses to Red B-----------S Real nice!
    Christopher Roach Signal Mountain, TN January 6, 2016 at 19:30
    I honestly thought the Rush song was about a Ferrari. Also they pronounced it wrong :)
    kenn young ithaca ny January 6, 2016 at 19:31
    My vote is for BeepBeep BeepBeep it feafures two cars -aNash Rambler and a Cadillac
    Randy Bograd Marland January 6, 2016 at 19:32
    Beep, Beep "How do I get this car out of 2nd gear?!!!!"
    Scott McGrath South Florida January 6, 2016 at 19:33
    All great (as are the suggestions), though if you're going for top 10 (& well known) I have to agree with baz and would replace Mercury Blues and Hey Little Cobra with Maybelline and I Can't Drive '55. (*All* of the songs mentioned so far are on my USB's in the cars.)
    Todd Watertown, MA January 6, 2016 at 19:35
    Although not specific to any car, "Cars" by Gary Numan is one of my all time favorites and sums up how I feel about my cars
    Vince Muniga Grosse Pointe MI January 6, 2016 at 19:39
    With all the rage on barn finds, parked out back in a rickety garage there's a brand new shiny red Super Stock Dodge. Little Old Lady in Pasadena Jan and Dean (still have the Record
    Dave Pa January 6, 2016 at 19:40
    Springsteen, "Racing in the Streets" 'nuff said.
    Ed California January 6, 2016 at 19:40
    Eddie Cochran, "Something Else" about wanting that girl and that new convertible. John Hiatt Thunderbird, tooling around in his big car. Also David Lindley's version of Mecury Blues.
    gordon bliss Texas January 6, 2016 at 19:42
    I would also add Chuck Berry's "no money down" but think "hot rod race" by Jimmy Dolan tells the story BEFORE "Hot Rod Lincoln is a great one too!!! Just way too many cool car tunes to chose just a few. I always play "Mustang Sally" to get in the mood when driving my 69 Mustang Mach 1.
    Russ Keller Crestline, Calif. January 6, 2016 at 19:45
    "My Old Yellow Car" by Dan Seals. Lyrics include "There's the spot where poor Billy threw up on his date and where Larry and Sandy could no longer wait... and "Got a Mercedes Benz with a TV and bar and God I wish I was driving My Old Yellow Car."
    Christopher Roach Signal Mountain, TN January 6, 2016 at 19:48
    Fiat Barchetta production started in 1995. "Red Barchetta" was released in 1981. I know the lyrics talk of the future but they couldn't have been talking about the Fiat. Had to be a late 40's Ferrari 166MM considering its racing pedigree.
    95Cardinal Michigan January 6, 2016 at 19:50
    Lots of great choices... I also like "Look at That Cadillac" by The Stray Cats
    Harold Mich January 6, 2016 at 19:54
    Since my first street rod was a T-Bucket one of my favorite car songs is Bucket T by Ronny and the Daytonas from 1964
    Dan Cleveland, Ohio January 6, 2016 at 19:59
    I have a vintage juke box full of car songs! There are lots of others like 'Mercedes Benz' by Janis Joplin or 'Drive My Car' by the Beatles.
    Cat Neudigan Sr The 405 January 6, 2016 at 19:59
    Don't forget Sammy Hagar's 'Trans-Am (Highway Wonderland). Best lyric: "Set's ten inches off the ground with a custom plate That says I E A T Z28"
    Kris Ohio January 6, 2016 at 20:01
    Yes, how did you miss "Little Red Corvette" by Prince? "Slow down, you're movin much too fast."
    Ronnie Florida January 6, 2016 at 20:14
    With all respect, you missed several classics which are way up my list ahead of some you mentioned: - Little Old Lady from Pasedena (Jan & Dean) - 409 (Beach Boys) - Drag City (Jan & Dean) - SS 396 (Paul Revere and the Raiders) - Riding with Private David Malone (David Ball)
    Randy Farkas Calgary, AB January 6, 2016 at 20:17
    Along with Highway Star mentioned in another comment, my favorite car song is Radar Love by Golden Earring. "I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel. There's a voice in my head that drives my heel." Many a late night drive with Moontan playing on the 8-track of my 68 SS Camaro. The song probably got me a couple of speeding tickets back then.
    Kenny A. Chicago,IL. January 6, 2016 at 20:19
    I love all the great car songs from the late 50's thru the 70's. 409, fun-fun-fun, surf city, just to name a few more. Everybody's got their favorites.
    Kathy B Syracuse, NY January 6, 2016 at 20:23
    Can't forget Fun, Fun, Fun, (till her daddy takes the T-bird away), by the Beach Boys
    Jay NC January 6, 2016 at 20:26
    The best hot rod song of all time doesn't mention a specific car, but is applicable to all: I Can't Drive 55!
    bob Hamilton, Ontario, Canada January 6, 2016 at 20:27
    Sammy Haggar's, "I can't drive 55". Since most of us probably can't or at least don't!
    Kenneth Dennie Shelbyville, KY January 6, 2016 at 20:39
    As a teenager of the 60's I sure remember the Car songs of the "GTO" the "Little Cobra" and the" Hot Rod Lincoln" Litl Deuce Coupe",and Mustang Sally, but I also remember the "Mercury Blues" by Alan Jackson...I actually didn't know any one else had recorded the song. Any way love 'em all....
    Joe Holden, MA January 6, 2016 at 20:48
    For all the MOPAR fans, how could you leave off the "Little Old Lady from Pasadena" Jan & Dean sing about her Super Stock Dodge. Even though I am a Chevy Man, I appreciate that song.
    Robert Oklahoma City January 6, 2016 at 20:53
    Karn evil #9 by ELP the song has nothing to do with cars but was in aloha Bobby and Rose makes me want to step on it and slam through the gears
    Gary Ontario, Oregon January 6, 2016 at 20:55
    "Rocket 88", what a classic. Hey, what about "Little Deuce Coupe"....
    Patrick Auburn, CA January 6, 2016 at 21:06
    For Mercury Blues, try David Lindley from El Rayo X. Much more engergetic than Steve Miller. You can find on YouTube.
    David New England January 6, 2016 at 21:09
    Foreigner ride on the red line
    Raymond Leverett Oakdale January 6, 2016 at 21:10
    Back in the 70's after I had gotten out of the army we used to go a place called the Vintage. On some nights it was blues rock and roll. On some nights a janitor from Sears store would come in and jam on his harmonica. We did not know at the time that this janitor was K.C. DOUGLAS. He would bring the house down.Buy Me mercury.
    Robert Michigan January 6, 2016 at 21:20
    Parked in her rickety old garage is a brand new shinny red super stock Dodge The little old lady from Pasadena ! Also, she's real fine my 409 !
    Ken Gingery Millsboro, DE January 6, 2016 at 21:28
    I think Hey Little Cobra should have been first. How about Beep Beep. Here's a little factoid, in the US Beep Beep by the Playmates spoke sang of two cars - a Cadillac and little Nash Rambler. When the song, still by the Playmates, was released in Great Britain, Cadillac was changed to limousine and the Nash Rambler became sounds like a "little bubble car". Also, off the subject, but in the Battle of New Orleans we remember hearing of "the bloody British", released in Great Britain and still by Johnny Horton, we hear of the bloody rebels. Just thought I'd throw a little info out there.
    Wally M Iowa January 6, 2016 at 21:33
    What about "Little old lady from Pasadena" ? She's the terror of Colorado Blvd.
    Pinky Former CA, Now VA January 6, 2016 at 21:38
    As a child of the 60s, in California, I agree with baz, the list needs 409, Maybelline, and Fun, fun, fun, by all means. Yes, Dead Man's Curve as well. :)
    Mike Virginia January 6, 2016 at 21:59
    How about "The Little Nash Rambler" by the Playmates!
    Craig Harrison Kansas January 6, 2016 at 22:00
    Don't forget the other Beach Boys car song, My 409!
    Chas Perth. January 6, 2016 at 22:20
    Hot Rod Heart, by John Fogerty, says it all, great lyrics, melody, lets go down that road and live.
    Dave Los Angeles January 6, 2016 at 22:43
    While I generally like Fords, a good song is My SS 396 by Paul Revere & The Raiders. Red Barchetta? No...
    Steve Traverse City January 6, 2016 at 22:56
    All good tunes but no Low Rider by War?
    Sonny Straley Waterford January 6, 2016 at 23:05
    Little Nash Rambler, its horn went beep, beep, beep. Daddy take the T-Bird away.
    Lee Indiana January 6, 2016 at 23:44
    Does anyone remember "The Little Old Lady from Pasadena" ? Hint she drove a shiny red super stock Dodge!
    Vern D Colorado January 7, 2016 at 01:20
    Where does "Little Nash Rambler" fit on this list - or is it just forgotten?
    Robby Crowder Lubbock,TX January 7, 2016 at 16:33
    409, Fun Fun Fun, Don't worry Baby, Shut Down, Custom Machine-Beach Boys---Deadman's Curve Little Old Lady-Jan & Dean--- SS 396 Paul Revere & the Raiders---
    Vinny Murphy Florida January 7, 2016 at 17:08
    Larry south carolina January 7, 2016 at 17:25
    One more vote for "she's real fine my 409"
    Jim Hyatt Westbrook, Maine January 7, 2016 at 18:19
    Yeah you missed a lot of good ones. One I didn't see mentioned was "455 Rocket"(A country singer).---Fastest car alive
    Clancy Bowling Green, Ohio January 7, 2016 at 06:21
    One cute song from the 50's was Beep Beep, The Little Nash Rambler by The Playmates.
    stevec boise January 7, 2016 at 18:29
    Radr Love - Golden Earring cause it a half past four and I'm shifting gear!
    AZ North Georgia January 7, 2016 at 18:41
    I'll admit this was a marketing piece, but who can forget Dinah Shore.....See the USA in your Chevrolet.....
    Roland Weller Columbus Ohio January 7, 2016 at 07:03
    And don't forget the classic race between the Cadillac and the Nash Rambler in "Beep,Beep" "Hey buddy, how do I get this car out of second gear"
    Eric Fountain Valley, Ca January 7, 2016 at 19:20
    SS 396 by Paul Revere and the Raiders
    Old Guy Arizona January 7, 2016 at 07:51
    And "Hot Rod Heart" by John Fogerty. It has Buicks and even Harleys.
    Juli Ohio January 7, 2016 at 07:52
    It's not a car, but how about, Detroit Made, by John Hiatt, and covered by Bob Seger!! It's a good song, give it a listen!
    1BAD.68 CT. January 7, 2016 at 07:54
    Kathy Mattea - 455 Rocket
    Dave Linton Canada January 7, 2016 at 08:16
    Would have been nice to click to play the songs. Good choices.
    Gordon Michigan January 7, 2016 at 08:33
    Let's not overlook Highway Star from Deep Purple's Machine Head album.
    K Orlando January 7, 2016 at 20:37
    Great article.
    Terry M south Carolina January 7, 2016 at 08:38
    I know it isn't a hot rod song per say but how about Little Nash Rambler Beep Beep
    David Lancaster, PA January 7, 2016 at 20:55
    "My Rival is a Baby Blue Racing Car" - sung by Ann-Margaret in Viva Las Vegas. How could you ever forget or leave that one out? If you are too young to know this one, Google it. Elvis was not a fat guy squeezing into a white sequined suit.
    David Mansfield Winchester, Tn. 37398 January 7, 2016 at 21:10
    Great Picks! Your music on hold at Hagerty is even BETTER!
    Chris TN January 7, 2016 at 09:14
    The Fiat Barchetta wasn't produced until 1995, 14 years after the Rush some was released. The song was about the Ferrari 166MM that had a substantial racing pedigree.
    P. Johnson Rocehster Hills Mi. January 7, 2016 at 09:16
    here's a few ya missed, "new car" by rolling stones "cars" by gary numan, "I can't drive 55" by Sammy Hagar, "Drive my car" by the Beatles, "Born to be Wild" by Steppenwolf, "Manic Mechanic",& "Nationwide" by ZZ top, & "Cadillac Walk", by Mink DeVille
    Brian J St. Louis January 7, 2016 at 09:24
    Good songs for sure, but in the Gateway City, two by Sammy Hagar would have to be on the list: "Trans Am", and "I Can't Drive 55".
    Michel Lamoureux Montreal, Canada January 11, 2016 at 09:24
    Great piece, Tara! Thanks for doing it. A lot of research behind this, not to mention tough choices, as I myself know for a fact. Lots of reader comments here. WOW! Very telling of how significant this topic is. Why do I know? Over the last year, I've been working as Executive Producer with internationally renowned jazz/pop singer, pianist and composer CAROL WELSMAN of Los Angeles (who has released 11 albums world-wide throughout her impressive career) on the development of a super fun, unique product: a double album entitled "CARma - A Musical Celebration of the American Automobile", which is totally dedicated to this subject - in fact, a tribute to it - giving new life to the many artistic genres (and their brilliant authors) that produced these songs over a 70-year period. In the case of CARMA, from the post-war forties to today. Some 150 songs to draw from, based on the research I did. Once again, tough choices to be made from this amazing plethora of human creations. Not to mention that many car songs were written much before then, during the earlier decades of the 20th century. More can be seen and heard re this US-Canada musical project on our CARMA five-tune demo: carolwelsman.com/carma Looking forward to trading notes some day when I make it over the border to beautiful Traverse City. Au revoir from Montreal, Canada.
    Dan S San Diego January 7, 2016 at 09:48
    You forgot Red Onion played in American Graffiti just before the drag race.
    Joe Wv January 7, 2016 at 21:56
    Deep purple. Highway star "Big fat tires and everything "
    Leslie Chicago January 7, 2016 at 10:30
    Fun, Fun, Fun is the very first song that popped into my mind. It is definitely a Top Ten tune.
    Dennis Algonquin Il January 7, 2016 at 10:35
    Low Rider.......Hot Rod Race,talked about the hopped up model A.......Four on the floor.........Thunder Road
    CAPT Chris Peterson, USN (RET) California January 7, 2016 at 10:47
    How about "Beep Beep" (Little Nash Rambler) from the Platters in '58?
    Sharon NJ January 7, 2016 at 10:47
    Best song to drive to: RADAR LOVE by Golden Earring! also "I'm in love with my Car" by Queen
    Bert NC January 7, 2016 at 10:54
    Life is a highway...I want to ride it all night long.......
    Jim Austin TX January 7, 2016 at 11:00
    There are so many! But what brings all these songs to life for us is our best memory of hearing them on the car radio -- for me, Golden Earring's "Radar Love" at 85 MPH in 1975 in a '67 Pontiac Tempest on Austin's recently opened west-side superhighway Loop 1; and War's "Low Rider" in 2007, cruising through Memphis at 9 a.m., halfway through a 2-day drive from Texas to New Hampshire.
    Jim & Jan Schield California January 7, 2016 at 23:31
    "Hey Little Cobra" was written by Carol Conners who owned 3 Cobras. We happen to presently own one of them and have had it insured by Hagerty for well over 20 years. Our vote is for "Hey Little Cobra" for 1st place!
    Ant Fl January 7, 2016 at 11:32
    Tbird jaguar deserves mention as well as maybelline and as others have mentioned 409 or little old lady from paesedena..
    Fred Kansas January 7, 2016 at 11:33
    Sounds like you should let us compile our own list. Better make it the top 25
    Dana Bach south range wi January 7, 2016 at 11:39
    "Crawling from the Wreckage" by Dave Edmunds is a pretty snappy tune.
    Frank Charlotte January 7, 2016 at 23:58
    How about "Little Nash Rambler"? (Hey buddy, how do you get this car out of second gear?) "409"? "Dead Man's Curve"? "Little Old Lady From Pasadena"?
    steve Illinois January 7, 2016 at 12:22
    I mistakenly attacked the list for omitting "Hot Rod Lincoln." Wrong. It was the first song mentioned and I just missed it. Sorry.
    George Ct January 7, 2016 at 12:37
    Beach Boys, Fun, fun, fun 'till her daddy takes her Tbird away...
    Scott McGrath Sunny South Florida January 8, 2016 at 13:13
    I already posted above, but wanted to thank everyone else for allowing a few great additions to my MP3 in-car playlists (and to Tara for bringing the subject up). To those who brought up "Green Onions" from American Grafitti, check out the Blues Brothers version from their "Made in America" album. Elwood's intro (under the intro) is epic (and car-based).
    Camarossssteve Troutdale OR January 8, 2016 at 01:20
    Bogus list if it does not include " DEAD MANS CURVE "
    KIRK NALL LAS CRUCES, NEW MEXICO January 8, 2016 at 13:23
    BEST CAR SONG EVER - "OL 55" BY THE EAGLES - CHECK IT OUT
    Scott Cowle Oakville January 8, 2016 at 15:56
    Chuck Berry-no particular Place to Go
    Donald Chebowski Troy MI January 8, 2016 at 21:46
    I think you blew it! You didn't include the Beach Boys, 'MY 409'
    Gil Walnut Creek CA January 9, 2016 at 01:43
    Well, Tara, guess you might want to do a Top 40 list next year...Quite a few songs ended up in the comments. I like them all!! I guess I will have to burn a cd with all of the suggestions........going down the highway in our 70 Mustang.
    John Ct January 9, 2016 at 10:30
    How about 409-beach boys, there was another song about a super stock Dodge,, "only drove it on Sunday to the drags." Little ole teacher.
    Wayne i nj January 9, 2016 at 12:53
    I certainly can't argue with 80% of this but a huge miss is 1989's "Radar Love by Golden Erring is. It is in the Top 5 not just top 10 Rock and Roll Car songs, as evidenced by the dozen or so covers of this song including U2, Def Leppard, R.E.M. And Santana!
    Philz70 So Cal January 10, 2016 at 14:02
    Bruce Springsteen - Racing in the Streets Marc Cohn - Silver Thunderbird Sammy Hagar - Trans Am (Highway Wonderland)
    Rebecca planet earth January 10, 2016 at 03:26
    Radar Love...Maybellene...Highway Star...Little Old Lady from Pasadena...
    chris mercer pa January 10, 2016 at 20:42
    what about mustang sally
    Bruce Wagner Salias, CA. January 10, 2016 at 21:07
    Two hundred and sixteen comments and no mention made of these two huge car hits. Surprised to say the least, although one is actually about a motorcycle, but very apropos, talking about the road and driving. "Black Denim Trousers" by Vaughn Monroe about 1955. A great line is: "He wore black denim trousers and motorcycle boots and a black leather jacket with an eagle on the back; he had a hopped up cycle that took of like a gun, that fool was the terror of Highway 101." I actually just sang this song to a real car guy (bikes, cars and racing) friend of mine at his recent birthday party. The second is the song "Transfusion" recorded by Nervous Norvis around 1955/56. A great line in this song goes like this: "Transfusion, transfusion 'Oh, nurse I've got convolutions; I'll never, never, never gonna speed again ......... Slit the blood to me Bud,put a gallon in me Allen, shoot the juice to me Bruce. Thanks, guys.
    Scott Jones Indiana January 10, 2016 at 12:14
    Alan Jackson brought Mercury Blues back to the forefront; I've recorded his version into a continuous loop and play it with to top down while slowly cruising the local cruise-in.
    J. S. California January 10, 2016 at 12:23
    How could you leave out "Dead Man's Curve" by Jan & Dean? "I was cruisin' in my Stingray late one night when an XKE pulled up on the right…" This particular dead man's curve location, a winding stretch of Sunset Boulevard was straightened out a bit after many accidents.
    MikeW California January 11, 2016 at 15:50
    More Mustang songs, My Ford Mustang (Chuck Berry) Wild, Wild Mustang (Dick Dale & The Del-Tones) Go Mustang (The Triptides) Mustang Ford (T-Rex) Move out Little Mustang (The Fantastic Baggys, A.K.A. Rally-Packs)
    George Schaefer Susquehanna County, PA January 11, 2016 at 18:50
    Always a Chevy!! Shutdown, 409, and what about Drag City?
    Ed Troy January 11, 2016 at 12:49
    One vote here for "I'm In Love With My Car" by Queen.
    Ralph E. Boy SeaHawks, WA January 12, 2016 at 04:11
    You've totally missed the boat on this one - Rush's "Red Barcetta" is the best driving song ever, Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55!" an easy 2nd, and I thought of those in 30 seconds.
    henry alberta February 3, 2016 at 00:04
    Convoy, crash the gate at 98
    Rambler Dave Clawson, Mi. February 6, 2016 at 01:07
    Here's a great one, Terraplane Blues by Robert Johnson, (best version by Foghat), about the Hudson Terraplane 8, the REAL "first musclecar". " When I flash my lights, mama, ya better get down off the road!" I think to be a real car song, the name of the car must be mentioned more than once, otherwise it's just a "road tune". Beep-Beep, Shut Down, 409, Hey Little Cobra, Little Old Lady From Pasadena, Hot Rod Lincoln, Maybelline, and Dead Man's Curve are the best car race tunes.
    J Renaud Dearborn February 13, 2016 at 15:06
    Back in the 1950's Hot Rod magazine released a set of 45rpm records. Here is one of them: Saturday Night Drag Race by Scat Man Cruthers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1osfik1YWU
    Willie Little Rock AR February 14, 2016 at 00:31
    Should include The Corvette Song by George Jones. Best line: ... Son it ain't your car I want, it's the brunette in your 'Vette that turns me on. She was hotter than a two dollar pistol, she was the fastest thing in town...
    Alan Idol Elsinore California March 8, 2016 at 12:14
    Some of my faves - Hang On St. Christopher by Tom Waits(he also wrote Ol'55) The passenger by Iggy Pop, Jeepster by T.Rex, Close to the Edit by Art of Noise,Pull up to the Bumper by Grace Jones, Fast Cars by the Buzzcocks,Jesus built my Hot Rod by Ministry & Bitchin' Camaro by the Dead Milkmen
    John Volk Glen Arbor, MI March 15, 2016 at 02:53
    Pretty exhaustive list by now, but you might add WayneCochrane's "Last Kiss" - "We were out on a date in my daddy's car We hadn't driven very far There in the road, straight ahead A car was stalled, the engine was dead..." It's been covered by many, notably J. Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers, Pearl Jam & Taylor Swift. Also, don't forget the Beach Boys' "Fun, Fun, Fun" - "And she'll have fun, fun, fun 'til her daddy takes the T'bird away..." Also, for the record Ike Turner's "Rocket 88" is considered by many music critics as the first Rock & Roll song.
    M Newhouse SLC Utah March 22, 2016 at 16:29
    Umm, War - Low Rider?
    mc va April 27, 2016 at 05:33
    Ah dunno if it made a dent or not on the charts, but anybody heard "Road Hog"? Seems not to have left much of a impression -but the spanish version by a guy called Roberto Carlos ('El Cacharrito' - 'The Jalopy') probably the biggest car hit in Spanish-speaking world. Also, I know it don't mention a car, but the Cars' "Let's Go" talks about a girl driving, I think, and I can't forget that song!!!