4 January 2016

Hagerty Price Guide 29 by The Numbers

Book 29 of Hagerty Price Guide has been published and new prices are now available on Hagerty Valuation Tools. The pricing developments we recorded during this update continue to demonstrate that growth in the collector car market is slowing. Although there are definite bright spots, the overall pace of change recorded since September is well off what we have observed during the previous three years.

For example, only one of Hagerty’s seven primary indices moved in excess of 5 percent this past period, and five of them were off of their three-year rate of change. The two that were up slightly compared to recent activity (1950s American Cars and Affordable Classics) were the two sleepiest sectors since 2012, meaning they had lower hurdles to clear.

In terms of value adjustments in the guide, this past period saw a scant 4.6 percent of all vehicles increasing in value by more than 5 percent, which is the smallest amount since Hagerty Price Guide was first published in 2006. Remarkably, this includes the 2008-09 market contraction. Furthermore, there were more cars decreasing in value than at any other time over the past two years. Fewer big increases, more decreases.

The biggest increases were once again for modern classics, as cars from the 1990s and 2000s in particular saw the largest average dollar increase among all decades. This was courtesy of cars like the Ferrari Enzo, 550 Barchetta, and F355, as well as other European supercars such as the Jaguar XJ 220 and Bugatti EB110. Other bright spots include 1960s and early 1970s Mercedes sedans, as well as the Porsche 944 and 924, mostly because of the large price gap relative to these models and other models of the same era from the same manufacturers.

Joe Regan Saratoga Springs,N.Y. January 6, 2016 at 15:53
    Could you tell me how the 50's trucks did in value ? I have a 57 Chevy step side 3100
    Vic Veltkamp Belgrade, Montana January 9, 2016 at 08:01
    I have a 1970 Dodge D100 half-ton pickup. Nothing fancy, but I had the front bumper chrome-plated and gave it a paint job a few years ago. Is it eligible for Hagerty classic vehicle insurance? Vic V.
    Joe martinez florida January 11, 2016 at 22:46
    The Porsche 944 especially the later Turbo models were the ones I noticed the most that increased in value. Hoping the 924S models with the better Porsche engines climb higher every year. Not so many were made for the US market, and many have been trashed, ended up in salvage yards all over this country and left to rott due to lack of care and knowledge. The 944 has fallen into that category also but soon enough, only very few will be left, and the ones in original condition will be more sought after.
    Don Mckay Orlando Florida January 12, 2016 at 15:14
    I have a 1966 Mustang coupe 289 how did they do in value?
    David Orangeville Ontario Canada January 24, 2016 at 20:11
    I have two old vehicles a1965 Ford Mustang complete body restoration and interior,convertible top and moters,a 1964 VW vanogon competeq body Interior and 1200 cc engine redone,the gas gauge does not work on the bus as I have not been able to source a censer,what are their values?
    Matthew Ardiere Nyc February 4, 2016 at 07:03
    I have a restored 1984 Buick grand national with liver seigler leather interior and a 1987 drivrtrain- what is it worth?
    Bob Mudlin Rapid City, SD February 15, 2016 at 16:12
    I have a 1933 Chevrolet Cabriolet. True barn find, last licensed in 1952. It is complete but needs total restoration. What's it worth?
    gerald revelle The Villages, FL February 22, 2016 at 12:51
    Need value of 1993 Cadillac Allente
    William R Lundholm Florida February 26, 2016 at 16:29
    I have a 1997 Black Jag convertible. 65000milkes, show car condition. Go to two car shows per year. You insure it for $30,000. This car is beautiful and worth more to me than insured value. What is my car really worth?
    Greg Nelson MKE March 19, 2016 at 20:03
    My advice to everyone looking for values go to the top of the page and do the valuation. Registration is free and Hagerty's graphs and 5 year movements are very informative. Look at the condition scale as well, it's an industry wide standard. Most of you are probably dealing with a 3 or 4 car if it's driving. These prices are great guideline for any owner or buyer.