28 July 2015

Top 10 classic droptops

There’s nothing quite like driving a convertible. They force you to slow down and enjoy your surroundings rather than just drive to a destination. In fact, they were designed and built with pleasure driving in mind. Now that summer is here with a vengeance, check out this list of classic convertibles that provide the broadest range of fun, value and stop-them-in-their-tracks good looks.

1. 1966–67 Alfa Romeo Giulia Duetto Spider: A production run of several decades means both maintenance and cost-of-entry are low for fun drivers. Over time, the general look and feel remained true to the original design, so that the Spider feels like a classic no matter which model year you're driving. An affordable taste of ‘la dolce vita.’ 1966 Giulia Duetto Spiders start at $25,700.
  2. 1987–93 BMW 325i Convertible: BMW launched its "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan in the 1970s, but the 1980s E30 helped make it a household expression. The M3 is well past "affordable" by now, but the 6-cylinder 325i convertible can still be bought with a credit card. Most in the US were equipped with automatic, but savvy searchers will be able to locate one with 5-speed to help deliver on the old ad tagline. 1987 BMW 325i Convertibles start at $8,500.
  3. 1968–75 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible: An American stalwart, the C3 Corvette had a short run as a convertible (the model was built for 7 years as a coupe only), but high production numbers and low upkeep costs guarantee an affordable example resides nearby. 1971 Corvette Convertibles start at $23,700.
  4. 1965–67 Ford Mustang Convertible: The Mustang is instantly recognizable by anyone who cares about cars and has endured shifting preferences among buyers to maintain relevance. From high-performance V8s to 6-cylinders, and with millions made, there is a first-generation Mustang to suit everyone's budget. 1965 Mustang Convertibles start at $28,100.
  5. 1966–71 International Scout: Summer convertibles need not be limited to sports and luxury cars, and the Scouts are equally at home on the beach, in the forest or at the cruise-in. Values have risen steadily, but not past the point of accessibility. 1966 Scouts start at $9,000.
  6. 1961–67 Lincoln Continental Convertible: Values have climbed for these stylish convertibles over the past 5 years, but they are still surprisingly affordable. Room for friends, great 1960s lines, and being a modern pop culture reference ("Entourage", anyone?) should all keep this purchase essentially free through the summer months. 1961 Continental Convertibles start at $33,600.
  7. 1989–97 Mazda Miata: Still ignored by a population of drivers who made up their mind about these cars without ever sitting behind the wheel of one. Their loss is your gain as Miatas are as rewarding to drive as any cheap, two-seat sports car has a right to be. 1995 Miatas start at $4,500.
  8. 1986–89 Mercedes-Benz 560SL: The Mercedes-Benz 560SL has seen swift appreciation over the past 6 months, but driver examples are still affordable. The earlier 450SL and 380SL models have not been swept up in the craze to the same degree, which means they are easier to get into today and have decent future prospects. 1986 560SL Convertibles start at $19,400.
  9. 1972–1976 Porsche 914: With Porsche prices rising above what can be described as "affordable" by most folks looking for a fun summer car, 914 values remain relatively unfazed. And with the recent run-up of Volkswagen convertible prices, the VW-Porsche stigma the 914 carried with it since new has less of an impact. 1972 914s start at $9,700.
  10. 1987–89 Toyota MR-2 T-Bar: The MR-2's exotic mid-engine chassis makes it something of a novelty, but it also provides for a driving experience that is hard to find in sub-$10,000 collector cars. Being a Toyota, reliability is great and aftermarket support is, too. These weren't as high on the list for tuners as other cars, either, so stock choices still abound. 1987 MR-2 T-Bar start at $6,200.

Rick Mahrle Phoenix July 29, 2015 at 13:59
    As is often the case, the Alfa pictured here is not a 1966, 67, or 69 round tail Spider, but a later model. As the owner of a 69, I agree that it is one of the classic convertibles of all time
    Mark Billings, MT July 29, 2015 at 14:00
    For raucus attention grabbing fun, there is none better than a Triumph TR3 or 4
    Andy Tacoma, WA July 29, 2015 at 14:03
    I'll put the 1967-1969 Plymouth Barracuda convertible on that list, for sure.
    Willis Vermilya Florida July 29, 2015 at 14:33
    In the article of the top 10 classic tops you listed as number 4 the 1965 to 1967 Ford Mustang convertible I feel since the 1968 Mustang convertible is almost a twin of the 1967 that the 68 model should also have been included. It was in 1969 when Ford made a change in the design of the classic Mustang. I would like to see you correct this error.
    Benny Philly July 29, 2015 at 15:10
    Not ONE eldorado makes the list? Shame on you.
    David Knoxville, TN July 29, 2015 at 15:12
    These are interesting articles but the pictures rarely match the article very well. They should both a) be in the same order as the article and b) have a picture for each car discussed. I can tell which cars are in which pictures in this article, but sometimes you list unfamiliar exotics that I want to follow along with and need some better organization to do so.
    Roger Middleboro, MA July 29, 2015 at 15:12
    So many more that were missed...55,56, 57 Thunderbirds, all the big Chevy's, Pontiacs, Buicks and Cadillac's of the 60's.
    Ron Stewart Hazard, KY July 29, 2015 at 15:14
    All your cars have merit, but you left out MGs, all of them. It can be argued that the "T" series started it all and that the "A" series was well before it's time but the "B" model style lasted for seventeen years!!! Yes, the top can be a pain to put up and down, but they were often left down so the driver and passenger could enjoy the great outdoors. Still a bargain when you can find one.
    Dutch San Diego July 29, 2015 at 15:17
    WHAT!!!!!! No Jaguar xke, no Austin Healey........this list ridiculous!
    dominique Maine July 29, 2015 at 15:19
    I agree with Mark. I also find it somewhat suspicious that there are no English cars mentioned. Arguably, the E type, MGB, and TR6 should top most anything on your list.
    Robert Palm Springs, CA July 29, 2015 at 15:20
    The 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible is missing from this list. An awesome car that is under appreciated. The one I own is a 352 dual exhaust in Tahoe Turquoise with a white top. Gets compliments everywhere it goes.
    ronald hermann pennsylvania July 29, 2015 at 15:21
    I own a 1964 1/2 mustang convertible was stored in a heated garage for 50 years got the same tires on it from day one no rot on rubber. It was invited into the library congress buy the HVA society This car has never needed any work done to it like new. The world will know what a 1964 1/2 looks like when they visit library of congress. Thanks Ron Hermann
    Louise Scott Hardy, VA July 29, 2015 at 15:28
    Oh come now. Surely the 1971 'Cuda convertible should have been on this list. This car stops people dead in their tracks as far as looks, power and performance.
    Mike S. Philly Suburbs July 29, 2015 at 15:30
    I realize that you had a lot of cars to choose from but the 1967-1969 Chevy Camaro should also be on this list. The SS/RS convertible with the hidaway lights was an awesome looking muscle car!!
    Tom G. New England July 29, 2015 at 15:38
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is that this list is very sad, indeed. To not include the '63 through '67 original Stingray is rediculous. A '87 BMW 3-Series?! Puuuulllllleeeeeze!
    Dave M Western NY July 29, 2015 at 15:42
    I bought a 98 Z3 last summer. They are still cheap ($8k for one with 42k miles and no rust) and a lot of fun to drive. The big bonus - the wife liked the Z3 looks over the other roadsters on the market and helped pick out the car.
    IBLBCFan South Carolina July 29, 2015 at 15:52
    Gosh...no LBC's what a shame! MGs and Triumphs are a few that remain reasonably priced and great fun to drive. They also have great club support and parts availability.
    Craig M. Bryda New York July 29, 2015 at 15:52
    I've owned two C-3 Convertibles , a new '71 LT-1 Ontario Orange and then in 1976 a '70 350/350 4 Spd, A.C. , Loved 'em both, still miss 'em. Sold them when all they were was used cars,,,,, no premium money involved.
    Jim Adams New Smyrna Beach Florida July 29, 2015 at 15:54
    Interesting, but like all the comments above mine; you missed way too many great cars. Sometimes it is best not to print articles such as this as it offends many that also have great drop tops. Jim 1999 Z28, mystic teal, camel top, very very fast! Garage queen, factory ordered and original owner.
    Jerry CT July 29, 2015 at 16:02
    The Porsche Speedster is not there!
    Dean Lewellen Sun City West, AZ July 29, 2015 at 16:03
    The 914 is/was not a "drop top" unless you dropped the Targa top on the pavement when stowing it in the rear boot. How about the eighties and nineties 911 Cabriolets--sweet rides still.
    Jeff Scottsdale July 29, 2015 at 16:08
    Can't believe no GM intermediate from the 60's made the list...Lots to choose from but I like 1964-71 Pontiac GTOs the best.
    Jim cuchiara Marseilles IL July 29, 2015 at 16:21
    You forgot the 1990-91 Buick Reatta. The first hand built car since the model A. I have a red one.
    Ivan Warrington Texas July 29, 2015 at 16:21
    My 57' Chevy was the best of all period!
    Stphen Hunter Missouri July 29, 2015 at 16:27
    I'll put my 1970 Buick GS convertible up against any of those mentioned for good looks, fun, and performance.
    Marc Gottlieb Levittown, NY July 29, 2015 at 16:32
    I'm very surprised the MGB didn't make the top 10. They certainly were more popular then and still are today. You have your choice of rubber or chrome.
    Britcardriver in Indiana Indiana July 29, 2015 at 16:39
    Why the bias against affordable British sports cars? Why not the MGB or the Triumph TR6? You afraid to get your hands oily? From what I see in my garage, all the oil is on the floor anyways.....
    Kent New Jersey July 29, 2015 at 16:41
    Honda S2000?
    Frank Hamilton July 29, 2015 at 16:42
    In my opinion the big 50's - pre 1975 Buicks and Mercury's make the best drop top cruisers. Like the Lincoln and Cadillac with a subtle flash. All those imports might be cool but I love North American iron.
    Craig Cardella Valdosta GA July 29, 2015 at 16:45
    #13 should be Porsche 914. German engineers brought high-tech mid-engine fun to the masses for under $4,000 using the Karma body plant and an easy to use VW power train. You can buy a nice one for about $8,000.
    bryan kazmer michigan July 29, 2015 at 16:48
    8 of the 10 are actually even convertibles. A targa is not the same.
    Merritt Higbie Perrysburg, OH July 29, 2015 at 16:53
    You have to be kidding, to have 6 foreign cars and NO MENTION OF THE 55-57 FORD THUNDERBIRDS, which were clossics alreay in the 60's. In my mind this is close to treason. mkh
    FRED NUGENT HOLLAND, MICHIGAN July 29, 2015 at 16:56
    I have a very nice 1962 Lincoln Continental convertible, a California car in condition 3. Many upgrades; burgundy, new, functioning white top, white leather. Will accept reasonable offers.
    Henry Georgia July 29, 2015 at 16:59
    I own a 2007 Toyota Solara convertible. I see tons of these still on the road. Looks very sporty, has a roomy back seat and a good size trunk. I think it will be a future classic.
    tom Colorado July 29, 2015 at 17:00
    I agree with many comments above - Jaguar 120 / 140 - '59 Pontiac Bonneville, MG-TC, Eldorado Brougham, etc., etc.
    Mark North Carolina July 29, 2015 at 17:01
    I'd like to add a 1965 Corvair Convertible, good looking, great driving car and loads of fun !!!!!
    wix wichmann Nashville July 29, 2015 at 17:04
    To not have a drop top Caddy in this list is silly. Specifically I'd say a '67 DeVille should make the cut
    Ted Chadron NE July 29, 2015 at 17:05
    How about the the classic VW Beetle convertible? You can't find a person who won't have a smile on their face driving a Beetle convertible.
    Chris Maxon Missouri July 29, 2015 at 17:08
    I'd have to say one of my favorite memories of my first ride in a convertible would definitely be my dads 63 1/2 falcon sprint convertible !!! Would surely be on my top 10
    Everett Warner Virginia July 29, 2015 at 17:08
    Now....you know a proud owner of a 1969 Camaro Pace Car is not going to sit here and not say anything about the 67-68-69 Camaros! All the above are really fun ...Thanks for the article. Probably did not make the list as everyone wants one so the ol supply and demand thing kicks in and the price is too much!
    Johnny Essman Topeka, Kansas July 29, 2015 at 17:12
    Where did you come up with this list?
    Dennis Bell Cedarburg, WI. July 29, 2015 at 17:12
    We love our 1965 Mustang convertible. We get looks with thumbs up all the time!!
    JOE Flyover land (and very glad of it) July 29, 2015 at 17:13
    Since when did a Toyota MR-2 become classic? a Miata really? Try Eldo, T-bird and any post-war through '76 Chevy
    Carl Royal Palm Beach, Fl July 29, 2015 at 17:23
    Everyone forgets the Lonely Triumph Spitfire 1500. With so many people coming up to me and telling me that they had one back in the day. I'm sorry that it was left out.
    Bob Los Angeles July 29, 2015 at 17:32
    Who picked out this list? A Scout in the top 10? Idiots!
    Bob Koehler California July 29, 2015 at 17:32
    Most of the cars shown in this article (only 8 showed not 10) do not come even close to the top. I think you could ask your members what they think then do the article. For example the 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible could be #1. The 1959 Ford Skyliner Retractable maybe #2...............etc. Keep the articles coming even though they are usually wrong. Thanks and also contrats to Ron Hermann and his 1964 1/2 Mustang for keeping some true history alive and well.
    Charles lamb Rowlett, TX July 29, 2015 at 17:35
    A misnomer, top 10. This is a list by no means the top 10. Chevelle Convertible: I have 2 1967s. Chevrolet sold tens of thousands of convertibles: not listed!
    Carl Royal Palm Beach, Fl July 29, 2015 at 17:39
    Larry Oklahoma July 29, 2015 at 17:39
    Guess my '56 Eldorado Gold Edition was too old, but surprised that my '65 Shelby Cobra AC wasn't included! Wish I still had them.
    ROBERT FLUCKE 49093 July 29, 2015 at 17:46
    Anybody remember the 1940 Lincoln Zephyr Continental Cabriolet?
    Jim n Missouri July 29, 2015 at 17:48
    The jag xke should have been #1
    len mackay victoria bc July 29, 2015 at 17:54
    67 corvette any 50s Eldorado do not like your choices
    Mike Hesperia,Ca. July 29, 2015 at 17:57
    What about Porsche 356 or the VW Beetle?
    Cork Adkins Nebraska July 29, 2015 at 18:01
    You are kidding right a bmw and a mercedes , alfa romeo classics
    Jeff Karg Rockland, NY July 29, 2015 at 18:07
    How about those Beetle punch buggies by Karman. Vent windows instead of AC. No overheating. Engine heat to the rear. Glass rear window and lined top for cold weather. Never a bad day driving her..
    Jordan greenberg South orange nj July 29, 2015 at 18:10
    My 912 targa soft back is a dream machine open air but not a rag top
    BUD SKELLY ny July 29, 2015 at 18:14
    i don't know who made out this list but to forget the 57 chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    KC Barrett Tucson July 29, 2015 at 18:17
    Will any automobile manufacturer ever build a full size convertible again?
    Tom Buchanan West Virginia July 29, 2015 at 18:34
    I have owned over 20 Porsche speedster replicas and consider them one of the coolest ragtops of all time. Pure sex on four wheels!
    Chuck Dunn Oklahoma July 29, 2015 at 19:00
    Pretty much nailed it on the 65-67 Mustangs. So iconic. But agree with Willis. Why exclude the 68s?
    hugh kantrud the home of the lion-killer July 29, 2015 at 19:25
    been said a couple of times, but one more for good measure: WHAT?! Not ONE itty-brit drop-top...c'mon...really?
    Nick Romano Gilbert AZ July 29, 2015 at 19:26
    Where is the '57 Chevy. It is truly one of a kind
    Jack Long Forest Hill, Maryland July 29, 2015 at 19:28
    No MGB? It was built for 18 years, is very affordable, and parts support is second to none.
    Gary Florida July 29, 2015 at 19:32
    What's up with the "T bar" car inclusion in this list and the omission of the those true drops mentioned in the comments?
    Mark Hatch California July 29, 2015 at 19:41
    Add the 1965-1970 Datsun roadster to this list of missed convertibles! With only 50,000 made, they just don't get respect as the predecessor to the 240Z.
    Lou Oceanside, NY July 29, 2015 at 19:42
    I have to disagree. A couple of these cars are only available as a convertible hence giving them an advantage. Like Benny said for instance, the Eldorado from Cadillac was an expensive option yet was a popular ride and far out sold these other cars as did the first gen Camaros and Firebirds. No disrespect but I sense some favoritism amongst the author of this story. I mean if he had to defend the Miata then it wasn't that popular with enthusiast. Just my opinion on this story but it lacks any real world view.
    jeff maryland July 29, 2015 at 19:50
    Come on man! No British sports cars, really? And, the 914 and MR2 aren't even droptops.
    Darryl Smith Wisconsin July 29, 2015 at 20:18
    No early Ford roadsters make the list? Not a Model A or a Deuce roadster? And, to be fair, the MR2 does NOT meet the definition of a drop top.
    Ed Mcknight victorville, ca July 29, 2015 at 20:26
    Guys it is top "10" not 1001. any 10 list ends up excluding many greats. I have a 1966 Mustang Roadster, yes a removable hardtop. tons of fun, even drove it is the parade on the 4th of July. Poppy red with black vinyl top
    Warren Stockton Springs ME July 29, 2015 at 20:27
    Mark, Dutch and Dominique are spot on. Where are all the British roadsters? For me, nothing beats tooling around midcoast ME in a TR6 with the top down!
    tommy boston July 29, 2015 at 20:34
    I've never owned one but the '90-'98 500SL's are real inexpensive.
    Horo Texas July 29, 2015 at 20:49
    What happened to the 1985 eldorado Biarritz???? The Trans Am?
    Dave Illinois July 29, 2015 at 20:55
    VW Beetle convertibles should be on the list.
    Norm NE WA. July 29, 2015 at 21:18
    I have to agree with the others, NO MGs
    Dennis Armstrong Tracy California July 29, 2015 at 21:37
    I have owned Miata's for 20 years! They are extremely reliable! I have autocrossed them for 18 years & have done Track Days. It amazing how well the hold up. But the main thing about Miata's is they are so fun to drive!
    joe baker athens al July 29, 2015 at 21:40
    there are so many convertibles of the muscle car era it would take for ever to list them all they were great cars to drop the top on and listen to the sweet music thank you
    JRS Atlanta, GA July 29, 2015 at 21:44
    I'm sort of partial to my '65 GTO. But its still a great list.
    pete wenzel ontario July 29, 2015 at 21:51
    once again the gm orphan is over looked , the 65 to 69 corvair cool lines and a sharp looking drop top
    Hal Smith Citrus Heights, CA July 29, 2015 at 21:56
    This was great to see. I was only disappointed that the Ford Thunderbird didn't make it among the top 10 sports cars of the 50' & '60s.
    Forrest Illinois July 29, 2015 at 21:57
    Wow, you guys missed the 1957 - 1959 Ford Skyliners .
    Carl Van Allen Maple Ridge, BC July 29, 2015 at 22:09
    Pardon me, but how can you rate the 1968 - 1975 corvettes as the number 3 in this top 10? If any years of corvettes were going to make the list, it should be the 63-67 years!.......these are still today way more sought after and valuable.....followed by the 56-62 years........both these groups are far and away ahead of the years noted!........I would look forward to comments from other readers, thanks for hearing me out! Regards,
    Robert Bailey Santa Cruz, Ca July 29, 2015 at 22:25
    I must add to the discussion the Triumph Spitfire Mark 3. I have a 1968 Spitfire that I have owned since 1972. Still a head turner and joy to drive. Here's to the English.
    Frank Wichita, Ks July 29, 2015 at 23:26
    What??? I was not aware that there were no convertibles made prior to 1966/
    Mickey Bevard Vancouver, Wa. July 29, 2015 at 23:45
    What a disappointment. Another mustang featured. Then I looked agh t the list. No 1957 Chrysler 300 C here or 1960 Chrysler 300F Convert. Over half of the cars featured are foreign built. I though the article was going some where else. Mickey
    Ford Fairlane Richland, Washington State July 30, 2015 at 01:05
    They forgot the 1957 thru 59 Ford Skyliner retractable hard tops!....By far the coolest drop-top made!.....Not very bright to miss those!.......just say'in....
    Bob Fairview Or. July 30, 2015 at 13:10
    I think it is a great list obviously there are hundreds of convertibles that could be on this list but this is a nice collection. Fun and dependable which may explain the lack of English cars.
    Charles Lamb Oregon July 30, 2015 at 01:15
    I'll take my '70 Cord Warrior over all of them.
    David Madigan Flordia July 30, 2015 at 13:44
    How about us Allante [1987--1993] owners . Yes , maybe we are crazy to have at least one , but the cars are [you fill in the blanks]
    Steve DC Area July 30, 2015 at 13:46
    Who made this list? The Toyota isn't even a drop top. No Brits, no classic muscle, no vintage, what about a 1937 Cord 812, an Auburn a Dusenberg? You really missed the mark on this one.
    Don Tremblay Massachusetts July 30, 2015 at 14:19
    Should have left off the "10" from the title. With it, this article is a joke.
    Larry Carlson Michigan City, Indiana July 30, 2015 at 14:25
    No British cars?? If you sent the author of this article to find the Holy Grail he would return with an empty Coke bottle.
    Dave Ontario July 30, 2015 at 14:37
    As owner of a 75 TR6 I scanned the list expecting to see Triumph. Of course I was disappointed. I was also unhappy to see the 'dime a dozen' Miata on the list. Who decides on these articles??
    Michael Warner Columbus OH July 30, 2015 at 15:01
    These ragtops are great, but they do not have the panache of the rainbow of colors available to American cars of the 1950s. Consider the 1956 Buick Roadmaster convertible with continental kit. Or something a bit smaller the 1956 Buick Century convertible in a tricolor combination with continental kit. Century the banker's hotrod of 1956.
    Johnny England Quorn England July 30, 2015 at 03:58
    What about the Morris Minor soft top? Nothing could be finer......or slower.
    Dee Evergreen Seattle July 30, 2015 at 16:39
    What about the Mercedes 250 SE Cabriolet?
    Susan North Carolina July 30, 2015 at 17:35
    I'll put my 79 Mars Red VW Convertible up there with the best of them....she just turned Classic this year!
    Terry Rainwater Jr Rockford Al July 30, 2015 at 18:17
    You left out the Beautiful 1961 Buick Le Sabre, best body lines of them all.
    Tom Jacksonville, Fl. July 30, 2015 at 06:17
    My 67 vw convertible, out of the wrapper, turns heads and brings big smiles to us baby boomers when we discovered the beetle.
    AndyP Danbury, CT July 30, 2015 at 06:19
    Seriously, no Impala's and a Toyota MR2? Car articles are no longer written by true car enthusiasts. It's a shame. Do not call it the top ten classics and stick it full of euro trash.
    Barry N. Schmidt, D.D.S. Santa Rosa, CA July 30, 2015 at 18:54
    Holy baloney: what about the lovely Morgan Drophead, with its pre-war styling. It's surely no muscle-car, but it does deserve at least an honorable mention.
    TRACE SAN MARCOS TX July 30, 2015 at 07:38
    NO E BODY CUDAS,Y'ALL ARE CRAZY
    PJD NY July 30, 2015 at 09:05
    No 57 Chevy?
    Ray Longa NH July 30, 2015 at 21:25
    These cars should be included in Value Your Vehicle.
    Robert Jersey Shore July 30, 2015 at 09:29
    From the '46 Ford to the '67 Corvette convertibles There must be many more than 10 considered to be classic ragtops. To limit it to such a small number doesn't do the category justice.
    Larry Carlson Michigan City, IN July 30, 2015 at 21:32
    No British roadsters? This is ridiculous. The author did not have the nerve to put a by-line on the story, and with good reason. Undoubtedly he is the kind of guy who, if Hagerty sent him out for the Holy Grail, he would come back with an empty Coke bottle.
    Duckdaddy Murfreesboro,TN July 30, 2015 at 09:32
    Unbelievable, not one British car or Mopar or Caddy in the Top Ten and the MR2 is not convertible.
    Jerry Gardner Tyler, Texas July 30, 2015 at 09:37
    The Mustang, Continental, Corvette I agree with but the rest, no! What happened to the '57 Chevy and many of the other American classics out there? Poor choices.
    Michael Warner Columbus OH July 30, 2015 at 09:48
    Bradley Nashville, TN. July 30, 2015 at 09:56
    I love a classic convertible. The list should include mine. An original 1969 Mercury Cougar convertible. Lime Frost paint, saddle interior, and white top. Fun to drive.
    mike p Florida July 30, 2015 at 10:29
    I agree with all of you guys... any convertible is great... but being an Alfa owner... I love the Alfa spider... but not the attention... I just want to drive it.. hope you all enjoy your wheels and be safe out there...
    buddy sc July 30, 2015 at 10:45
    where is the GTO? CLEARLY BETTER THAN THE BMW!!!!
    Mike Schacht Arizona July 30, 2015 at 11:02
    I believe a great good looking convertible that is overlooked, underated and underpriced is the 2002 to 2005 Ford Thunderbird.
    CHS Karl Carmel California July 30, 2015 at 11:22
    There are oh so many left out...how about Ford's Mode A cabriolet and open top pick-up truck. And...wouldn't it be fun to see a Morris Minor Convertible parked next to the Cadillac El Dorado with both tops down?
    Marge P. Arizona July 30, 2015 at 11:47
    I humbly propose the Jensen Healey for your next list. Have owned and loved it since 1975. Neighborhood kids have called it 'the batmobile' (yep, there is a bit of similarity) and they adore their top-down rides! Nothing like a 'rag top' for pure exhilaration along the byways of Arizona. Drive On! Marge in Mesa
    Jim K Orange County July 30, 2015 at 11:53
    Guys, this is hardly an all inclusive list. I've yet to meet a convertible that wasn't somewhat enjoyable, that includes a Chrysler K car which was my first experience riding in a convertible. This is a list of 10 of the dozens, if not hundreds of convertibles that have been offered through history. And notice this is generally an everyman's car list. Few can afford a Jaguar E-type vert. Complaining about its absense goes with complaining about not including a Lamborghini Diablo Targa.
    Sherm Brown Walnut Creek CA July 30, 2015 at 00:06
    Affordable rag-tops? Should include mid-60's Cadillac deVille, mid-60's Chrysler Newport, as well as early 60's Chevy Bel-Air, a few from Dodge and Plymouth. Non-hemi Mopars are still inexpensive. Best value of all 74 - 76 elDorado ragtop.
    Mike Mawhirter Derby, Ks. July 30, 2015 at 12:06
    I own a 1990 Mazda Miata convertable that currently has 191 K miles on it and still runs as new. These things are the best kept secret on the road for small eco sport cars. More fun than a Mercedes 560-SL and at 1/4 the cost. I've never gotten less than 31 mpg.
    Jack Notman Canada July 30, 2015 at 12:16
    Guess I'm out of the loop with my old convertibles. A 1956 Lincoln Premier, 1957 Cadillac Biarritz, 1958 Buick limited, 1961 Cadillac Series 62.
    ken z new york July 30, 2015 at 12:31
    MY 1957 Jaguar drop head coupe, yellow with black top, has been stolen recently and is being offered for sale in queens,NY for $98,000. The police say it is a civil matter and won't stop the sale. Vin # has been changed-don't buy!
    bobby monroe July 30, 2015 at 00:32
    i think my 57 Chevy Bel Air should be on the list
    Chad S Montana July 31, 2015 at 13:04
    Wow, you really missed THE all time classic convertible by not having a ragtop VW Beetle in the mix. I agree with most of the other cars, but I think you can find a ragtop Beetle in every state and practically every town in the US. Instead your grasping at straws by including the Scout and the MR2. I think you need to revise the list.
    MARK SIMPSON tampa fl July 31, 2015 at 02:07
    On behalf of the majority of your readers, I appologise for the majority of previous comments. Can anyone spot and correct the misspelled word? Thanks for the article.
    bruce hutson United States July 31, 2015 at 15:01
    Not one jag or Lotus. The lotus Elan is regarded as the ultimate driving sports car and it did come in a rag top. Not the E Type jag, probably the most stunning of all the cars listed
    Steve Charlotte, NC July 31, 2015 at 16:34
    The lines on my 1966 GTO are drop-dead gorgeous, as are many 60's GM A bodies.
    rover Houston July 31, 2015 at 17:03
    No Triumph TR3??? The ultimate roadster
    ted cragulets mentor, oh July 31, 2015 at 08:13
    i have a 69 xr-7 cougar convertable. it should be on that list . i drive it all the time. ted cragulets
    Randy Strickland Greer SC July 31, 2015 at 09:07
    Any "drop top" jeep... 76 CJ5 particularly... Just saying...
    Henry Sikora Warrenville, IL July 31, 2015 at 23:09
    I'll take my wife's Triumph Spitfire over a Toyota MR2 anyday.
    Chad S Montana July 31, 2015 at 12:37
    Howard Coe Salinas, CA August 1, 2015 at 21:24
    What about the MG Bs, TR 3-6s, Sprites and Midgets
    Newty-Newt 3rd rock from the Sun August 1, 2015 at 12:18
    Not one Geo Metro Convertible makes the list, shame on you for promoting a large number of wasteful gasoline consumption cars on this list. Uncle Sam will never stop his foreign oil addiction without showcasing smaller fuel efficient convertibles. They are fun too!
    Flash Avis Pa August 2, 2015 at 12:52
    Interesting, to many foreign cars; where are the 1st gen Thunderbirds, 1970 to 71 Cuda's & Challenger's
    Louis Tharp New York August 3, 2015 at 11:54
    I don't think the BMW convertible picture is a 1987 even though BMW says so. Maybe not US-spec car? I have one and it does not have the front apron, the fog lights are closer together and basket weave wheels weren't available. Mine is an early production model, but I don't remember these options until later.
    Kevin Forshner Gibsons BC August 4, 2015 at 18:07
    1967.5 Datsun 2000 SRL311 -00650 Mikuni/Solex 150hp package . Fun ,Fast and a true champion in its class.
    Carlos new jersey August 7, 2015 at 07:20
    " I want my car on the list, I want my car on the list" Listen to yourselves, stop behaving like little kids and enjoy the article, or go read something else for Christ's sake.
    Kevin Murphy, TX January 27, 2016 at 16:43
    No Geo Metro convertible…..for shame.