6 July 2015

Our Cars: Brian Sarlund’s 1986 Chevrolet Corvette

Brian Sarlund bought his first car, a 1957 Chevrolet, long before he was able to legally drive it. He was in the seventh grade and paid $1,000, “using every penny I had to my name from working odd jobs.” Brian worked on the Chevy through high school before disaster struck – it was sitting in the driveway when a wind storm blew a tree onto it. “Unfortunately, I didn’t have insurance, so it sat in storage for 10 years after that. I finally sold it to a guy who did a full restoration on it. I was glad to see that someone resurrected it, but I wish the tree had never fallen on it … wish I still had it.” As a senior claims adjuster, Brian hears similar stories form Hagerty clients – and he can certainly relate.

Name: Brian Sarlund

Position at Hagerty: Senior Claims Adjuster

Years at Hagerty: 8

Vehicle: 1986 Chevrolet Corvette

Why did you choose a 1986 Corvette? I always liked the C4. I bought it almost three years ago – it was affordable and has great performance. It was the first technological jump for the Corvette using ABS and electronics.

Repairs and Modifications: New transmission.

Hobby activities: I enjoy going to local car shows and the St. Ignace (Mich.) Car Show each June.

Favorite Drive: I love driving out to the lighthouse on Old Mission Peninsula (near Traverse City, Mich.). It’s a beautiful drive, especially in the spring before it gets really crowded around here.

Best/Worst Moments: I have both great and horrible memories of the ’57 Chevy, obviously. I’ve also owned a 1969 Camaro and a 1981 Turbo Trans Am.

Brian Weyeneth North Carolina July 8, 2015 at 16:02
    I had a '95 C4 with the blistering LT1 mapped to a 700R. Was a great fast car but lacked the Corvette styling I still enjoy in my '77 L48, factory black, red leather interior, surviving original with less than 80,000 miles.
    Dan Seattle, WA July 8, 2015 at 19:33
    As a coincidence I just bought an 86 Corvette from an estate sale. I registered owner (so far I haven't regiwtered it yet), car was bought in Alaska and moved to WA state where it still is. Just under 11K original miles. Every tankful of fuel is documented by the elderly gentleman that took meticulous care of it. I may sell it, trade it, or keep it, not sure what to do. I bought the car because of the history and condition. Any interest?
    Mike Butts Lansing, MI July 8, 2015 at 20:59
    I got my first Vette on my 16th birthday. A new 67 coupe - backed-off the showroom floor at Beaty Chevrolet in Knoxville TN. That was followed by a '68 SS396 Chevelle and later a couple of other Vette's and assorted muscle cars. Current toy is a 89 Vette, coupe - red with red leather
    James Kentucky July 8, 2015 at 21:23
    Excellent choice on the '86. We have your sister car, an '86 convertible pace car, silver, purchased a month ago. Much work / restoration to be done on ours, but what a nice ride. They are real gems to have for the reasons that you've mentioned.
    Joel Burdsall Mesa az July 9, 2015 at 10:20
    Hi Brian, I too own a 1986 C4 and yes it is insured by Hagerty. It needs some work like new carpet and paint, but runs great. I am thinking about putting in a 5 speed and removing the Doug Nash overdrive. Will add new analog gauge cluster also. Enjoy.
    Carl Fera New york State August 21, 2015 at 23:07
    My first car was and still is a 57 Chevy 2dr. hard top. Its 44 years later under going a complete body off the frame restoration. Its in great shape so the restoration is going fine. I never regret keeping it. I also owned a 86 Corvette and that I regret selling after owning for 20 yrs.
    Alan Greenberg Long Island, New York May 2, 2016 at 20:44
    Brian we must think alike, my first car was a 1969 Firebird Conv, Followed by 1980 Turbo Trans Am Pace Car, Followed by 1986 Corvette which I purchased new in 1986 and still own. Trying to decide if it pays to repair the Corvette it's all original and at the present time it needs an engine overhaul, after 30 years it's hard to give it up.