19 June 2015

Graph of the Week: 5 Vehicles You Should Have Bought 5 Years Ago

Once valued well under 15 or 20 grand, these five vehicles have been some of the biggest movers on the lower end of the price spectrum during the past five years. In the case of the Land Cruiser and the Bronco, they can be considered darlings of the truck market, which has been one of the fastest growing segments in the greater classic car market. Trucks gained appeal as entry-level classics after the prices of many cars grew out of reach. The resulting demand for trucks led to value increases for interesting models.

In the case of the E30 M3 and the 944, they have both recently turned 30 years old and made the transition from older used cars to collectible classics. The Jensen Interceptor is a bit of an exception as the market has been relatively flat for other British cars in this price point. The point is twofold. "Investment grade" type returns aren't isolated to seven-figure cars, and they aren't even limited to sports cars.

jim suffolk, va June 24, 2015 at 15:48
    How could air cooled 911's (and 912's)not be on this list.
    bubber flanagan pa June 24, 2015 at 17:25
    i have been looking at the value on the sunbeam alpine and the drop was a big one, ???
    al zim Zim's Autotechnik Bedford Texas 76021 June 24, 2015 at 17:49
    I have been in the Porsche business for 52 years. The 944/924S cars depreciated to nearly nothing and became throw away after about 15 years. If you own one of the these cars your situation will be where do you get the parts (expensive) and who do you get to work on them? Our flat rate is $110. per hour. we scrapped all our cars and used parts about 10 years ago.
    Dave Pyle Houston TX June 24, 2015 at 17:58
    I buy old cars from my past that I liked. Not for investment. But I am curious how Hagerty determines current value. As a customer I trust Hagerty and sometimes they ask what I paid, or what I sold it for. My insured value is always higher than my actual cost. So how do they calculate price? Dealer and auction selling prices are generally higher than individual sellers. I look at eBay (cars sold or not sold) for the "market" value.
    darrell saunders grove city ohio June 24, 2015 at 18:18
    How about a Yugo? I have 3 in pristine condition. Have you seen any at the shows in recent years? Mine are a great conversation piece as well as trophy winners.
    David Dempsey Arkansas June 24, 2015 at 19:39
    Based on recent auction prices and eBay sales, I believe the 1972/1973 Volvo P1800ES should also be counted, as prices for a fine example of these have really taken off in the past 3-5 years.
    Mark Tempe,AZ June 24, 2015 at 22:37
    I agree the landcruisers have jumped in demand and valuation
    Dan Julian NE TN June 25, 2015 at 16:35
    Sunbeam Tigers have caught fire in the last 5 years. Likewise for Ferrari 308/328s.
    Ed miami June 26, 2015 at 12:36
    I am surprised by the new valutions of the 944. I looked on craig's list and ebay and most were selling for $4000-5000. I wonder how they obtain these lofty prices for these cars. Conversely, the Ferrari 355 has been going up since last year but the web valuation tool they have still shows the average sales at 38,000.